Transportation

J

janssen

We will be arriving in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, on Saturday, January 15, 2000 around 5:00 p.m. Our resort destination is Juan Dolio /San Pedro de Macoris. What type of transportation is best. I have checked into renting a vehicle, however, it sounds like we would be traveling on secondary, dirt roads for approximately 40 - 50 miles before reaching a paved highway in the dark. I have also checked into American Eagle flights to Santo Domingo, but here again, the flights leave three times a day, per Explore the Dominican Republic Travel Guide and I can't seem to find the flight schedules between Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. I would also like to know if any busses travel between these two cities in the evening? Any suggestions. I would appreciate the help.

T

Tamara

I once had the chance to trek from the Punta Cana airport to Sanpedro De Macoris alone and took the public buses(Guagua). I don't suggest a taxi as being such a great idea unless you have a lot of money to waste. As far as renting a car, if you haven't driven in this country before perhaps it isn't the best idea for you especially after a possibly exhausting trip. The highway is right in front of the airport so there aren't really any dirt roads the whole way, rather kilometers and kilometers or fields of sugarcane. I suggest you take the public bus or inform yourself with your tour opertor when you arrive about taking a chartered bus which is probably safer and less of a hassle. Public buses stop running at around 11pm so if you do choose to take the public bus it isn't difficult just wait on the road outside the airport and they'll take you to Higuey where you will need to change buses to go to Santo Domingo. These buses are usually large and comfortable ( and airconditioned for 50 cents more) and the passage is very cheap- just remember not to loose track of your luggage or it may accidentally get hauled off onto the wrong bus!

D

diego

I lived in Punta Cana/Bavaro for about 3 Months,and surely dont remember any dirt roads.Just a stretch of about 3 km full of potholes. I dont recall public buses leaving from the airport, but i do recall that this big airconditioned buses leaving from Higuey, stop running after 5pm.From the Airport to Higuey 54km. You may have only 1 choice and that is to take a Taxi.prices are clearly marked at taxi Stations and are open for negotiation.Let me know if I can help with anything else going back there to live full time in 4 weeks