Breaking NEWS North Coast Road Repair

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
You are lying come on don't tease us like this. It is a dream come true.

I can get new shocks for the car now.... never wanted to before since I drove over the potholes there too many times and got tired of swerving only to find a mack truck coming my way.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
This was been mentioned elsewhere a few days ago & I get the impression it all started shortly after AZB said he was coming to visit this coming weekend for the 'Bash' at rocky's. That man MUST have some pull - like he keeps telling us!! ~ Grahame

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No way are they fixing this road. They are just pretending to do so and showing off to the many visitors for Semana Santa. You'll see, just after Semana Santa all efforts at road repair will be abandoned. This road will never be fixed. Eventually we'll all have to get helicopters or hovercraft to negotiate this piece of road.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
AN URGENT REQUEST FROM A REPEAT NORTH COAST VISITOR.

Please, please when driving on newly fixed roads do your utmost to swerve around the newly filled potholes. Also implore anyone you know to do the same - especially bus drivers carrying loads of AI-bound tourists.

Unless this is done the roads will be back in the same shape in three weeks when I arrive.

Please allow me to see a GOOD DOMINICAN ROAD - just once!!! :laugh:

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Escott said:
Yes, you heard it here first from me! Road repairs going to Airport from Sosua are being done.

SPECIAL-SPECIAL

They are fixing the road in front of Coconut Palms... YES IT IS TRUE!

Actually Scott I reported this last Friday in another thread, at that time only the the bridge area had been sort of fixed. Have they done the hole at Los Charimacos yet?.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Escott said:

Mmmmmm fixing the road huh?? If you mean filling the numerous holes with calici then you are right.

When I passed heading to Sosua this morning I thought it's a matter of time before some arsehole drives too fast and sends a large lump of stone flying up in the air.

Sure as siht on the way back the Caribe tours bus went over the repairs at a high rate of speed sending a tennis ball sized rock at my side window, I managed to swerve a bit and the stone hit the door 2 inches below the window leaving a very nice dent in the door. (I know if it was my head there would be no difference!!)

So many thanks to the twinkle-twat who decided to repair the road with calici and even more thanks to the Caribe Tours driver for having the intelligence to drive according to road conditions in true Dominican style.

Muchas Gracias!

ps I give the repair to this stretch about 10 days.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Escott said:
Yes, you heard it here first from me! Road repairs going to Airport from Sosua are being done.

SPECIAL-SPECIAL

A couple of years ago they fixed the road between Sosua and Puerto Plata, and a couple of years after the current repairs they will need to be repaired again. The only one who benefits from the road repairs is the contractor who uses substandard matials.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh don't be such a spoil sport Ken

Let them enjoy this while they may.

After all GM, Ford and Chrysler had us all by the short hairs with their "Planned Obsolescence_ " many years ago, until the Japanese and Germans woke us up with quality. So the engineers do the same thing: "Planned road wearout" D@mn, they're smart!

HB :D:D:D:D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
snoozer said:
Actually Scott I reported this last Friday in another thread, at that time only the the bridge area had been sort of fixed. Have they done the hole at Los Charimacos yet?.
Now that was a hoot. When coming down from Los Ceros you didn't care what color the light was because if you can see asphalt you had plenty of time to make a right turn without being hit no matter what color the light because even the Dominicans took 30 seconds to get through that hole. YES it is fixed.

I went to Puerto Plata today and didn't break one tooth this time. Woo HOO!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gjsuk said:
Mmmmmm fixing the road huh?? If you mean filling the numerous holes with calici then you are right.

When I passed heading to Sosua this morning I thought it's a matter of time before some arsehole drives too fast and sends a large lump of stone flying up in the air.

Sure as siht on the way back the Caribe tours bus went over the repairs at a high rate of speed sending a tennis ball sized rock at my side window, I managed to swerve a bit and the stone hit the door 2 inches below the window leaving a very nice dent in the door. (I know if it was my head there would be no difference!!)

So many thanks to the twinkle-twat who decided to repair the road with calici and even more thanks to the Caribe Tours driver for having the intelligence to drive according to road conditions in true Dominican style.

Muchas Gracias!

ps I give the repair to this stretch about 10 days.
Well I have to say I thought they were filling the holes with stone to blacktop after. No?

I have traveled about the whole country just about and I have NOT seen worse roads anywhere then on the Puerto Plata to Cabarete Route. Once when coming back from Santiago on the Moca route with Alanindr we wondered if a brother of hippo lived on the road because it was without a pothole the whole way.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Lol

I drove the road after dark tonight and upon nearing Cabarete my first thought was, wow, I know this road like the back of my hand now; automatically avoid all those potholes.

Second thought was: Mira! They filled the potholes.

Third thought, on return trip, and having remembered a sudden quick fix before Hippo's pre-election north coast visit last year-- dammit, someone 'important' is heading this way for Semana Santa. The fix will last the weekend anyway. :(

Yes, the gigantic ditch at the Charamicos light is gone-- the fix occurred during rush hour last Wednesday and traffic didn't move much for about an hour. Too true, Escott, about all the time in the world to make a left turn across traffic. Felt a little like participation in a Hollywood chase scene: semi truck bearing down, heroine swerves in front, and makes it with inches to spare... all in slow motion, claro.

Yes, Virginia, there is an Easter bunny.