Shipping from Florida to Puerto Plata

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Question for you folks. I am presently located in Northern Virginia, and very soon I will have to ship a container of fragile items (say some Glass wares) to Puerto Plata.

I know of many shippers in New York, but was advised that I can get a better rate if I bring the items via Uhaul to Florida and ship from there.

1-Does anyone have any personal experience shipping from Florida to Puerto Plata?
2-Any idea of how much a 20 ft container may cost?
3-Is it true that I will get a better price shipping from Florida, as opposed to NYC as result of the shorter travel distance?

Please feel free to recommend shipper/brokers.

Thanks to all who answer.

philbrick03

Feb 10, 2004
Jwb said:
Question for you folks. I am presently located in Northern Virginia, and very soon I will have to ship a container of fragile items (say some Glass wares) to Puerto Plata.

I know of many shippers in New York, but was advised that I can get a better rate if I bring the items via Uhaul to Florida and ship from there.

1-Does anyone have any personal experience shipping from Florida to Puerto Plata?
2-Any idea of how much a 20 ft container may cost?
3-Is it true that I will get a better price shipping from Florida, as opposed to NYC as result of the shorter travel distance?

Please feel free to recommend shipper/brokers.

Thanks to all who answer.

A 20' container from Florida will cost between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on how much of the container you use. You can also truck your stuff to New Jersey and get it on a freighter. (It costs more, but probably not more than you'd pay for a u-haul and expenses to Florida.)

The big issue is import duties. You should verify what you will be charged for every item coming into the country. Some import duties may cause you to leave it home.

Try Tropical shipping in Palm Beach FL.