Going Through Santiago Customs

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am making my trip back to DR soon and wanted to get an update on the experience of going through customs at Santiago airport. I wanted to bring back a few electrodomestics...perhaps two per luggage item. Can I get past customs or will they charge an enormous fee? Is it worth it? Anyone that would like to share recent experiences...go ahead. It is appreciated.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Santiago Airport the best! Period!

I returned from the Sates in Jan. 2005, thru Santiago. I bought a new Sony 10 CD changer in the original box, for my SUV, in my suitcase. Customs uses x-ray machines, not hand opening every bag. They saw the CD changer with the X-ray machine, opened the bag, looked at it, closed my bag, & aksed me to move on; paying nothing, officially or unofficially. In my 8 years of experience, Santiago is far superior to POP or SDQ. Very polite, even helpful, also. Good luck

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
anyone else...

thanks gringo. I would like to bring back several electrodomestics...five. Anyone tried this recently? Can you still hand them a little cash, if they start making a big deal out of it?

P

poetathome

I am planning on bringing a small laser printer

Has anyone bought in computer equipment. Will they allow it at the Santiago airport? Any feedback would be appreciated. I am arriving on April 4th. Thanks in advance.