The Ozama and the bay

O

Ona

During Trujillo's time, was the bay the Ozama River spills into called the Bay of Trujillo? What was it called after Trujillo, and today?

D

DR One

As far as I know the Ozama River spills into the Caribbean Sea, not into a bay. The city of Santo Domingo was Ciudad Trujillo (or Trujillo City) during that dictatorship.

P

P.T.

Folks, I should kindly like to add, it is also correct to indicate the river spills into the Mar De Las Antillas.

Yet, I can sense Ona would think there should be a name for the bay fronting Santo Domingo. Its form suggests it would extend from Sabana Grande de Palenque across to the pennisula where Las Americas airport is located.

Maybe the Dominicans should take under consideration a local name for the area. For example: Bahia Colon. It would be a very interesting process to observe.

Regards, PJT

L

Larry Emmons

That name could not be used because Dominicans consider it bad luck to use the direct name of the "Grand Admirante". Look at a map of the Dominican Republic. There are no areas named after him or his borther although you can find streets named after his brother.

P

P.T.

Thanks for enlightening me. This is case why Faro a Colon is named the way it is; Lighthouse to Columbus. Therefore, as you say it is bad luck to use the direct name of Colon, then we must suggest to name the bay; Bahia Grand Admirante.

Regards, PJT