Reliable Builder/Contractor Reference pls.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Looking at the possibility of selling my house in Sosua and building in Perla Marina, Lomas Mironas or ProCab. Need a builder/contractor that is very reliable without having to be there full time. This would be a vacation home and no, I can't take a year off and supervise the construction. Therefore would prefer one that has the reputation of building without being watched all the time.

Thanks,
ecarignan

DES

Aug 9, 2004
Most people here will tell you that it's necessary to be here all the time or you will get ripped off. Like you, we couldn't manage to take that much time off to be there constantly. After speaking with several ingenieros, we used Guillermo Abbot-Puig of Puerto Plata. He built our vacation home without us constantly supervising, although we did have a few locals checking in regularly, especially when he reached each point for additional payments. He was fairly good about sending regular reports including pictures to us via email. We did have the advantage of having my brother-in-law, a civil engineer/construction project manager in Colombia, reviewing all plans, documents, specs, etc. and calling both the builder and the architect if he felt there was something sub-standard being done.