Breathing problems in S.D.??

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
As an asthmatic living in S.D. , I was wondering if anyone else in the city is having trouble breathing these past 2 weeks?

At first I thought it mustve been my allergies just acting up but with all the reports of the forest fires I was starting to think that they may be the problem. As far as I can see, the air over the city, has "looked" (no indications of smoke around Las Praderas) clean but you never know.

Was starting to wonder if I should just ride it out or start looking through the old suitcases for my nebulizer...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Funny you should mention that, I was just thinking today that the air quality has been pretty poor lately. Of Course the usual diesel fumes and smell of something burning would probably give asthmatics trouble on any day. Take care of yourself, I know how serious your ailment can be.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is alot of dust in the air lately. Notice the unusually level of haze? It's the dust.

It could either be one of two things creating this dust:

1. Either the trade winds are picking up extra dust from the dry soil. It's been a while since a good shower has come our way.

or

2. Another gigantic dust storm has come off shore from the Sahara Desert (yes, Sahara as in Africa), enough dust was carried across the ocean by the trade winds and now they are being deposited over the Caribbean islands, our island being no exception. These things happens on occasion, in fact the extra dust settling in the Caribbean from this is one of the culprit for the devastation of our coral reefs, though fishermen have done their share of damage.

However, I have not seen any reports of unusual haze in San Juan, Puerto Rico so I suspect its number one. If the Sahara dust was the case, then Puerto Rico would had been under poor air quality advisory and/or warning.

Try to spend as much time indoors in an air condition place. Besides, it has been rather hot lately.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Humidity is not that great for asthmatics, and since the weather got hotter about three weeks ago the humidity has gone right up. Aircon is not the best thing either, neither is the shock to the system when you enter and leave a chilled space and get hit by the damp blanket of heat. Pollution, of course, exarcerbates the unfavourable conditions. My commiserations.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Humidity is not that great for asthmatics, and since the weather got hotter about three weeks ago the humidity has gone right up. Aircon is not the best thing either, neither is the shock to the system when you enter and leave a chilled space and get hit by the damp blanket of heat. Pollution, of course, exarcerbates the unfavourable conditions. My commiserations.
Well, in that case, the nebulizer is a good idea.

I hope you don't go through much trouble and hopefully we'll get some rain soon, though its nowhere in the horizon. Once the showers return the air should be much more fresh and clean.

Take care.

I thank God everyday for being healthy, for now at least. You know how it is, one day you're fine, the next you're not.

Well, in any case, take your precautions and hopefully the rains will return.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
The odd thing is that in 7 years of living in S.D. this is the 1st time I have had a problem with asthma. Back in Florida, I had asthma frequently (due to my own negligence mostly) and it had "cleared up", up until a couple weeks ago. If other asmhatics in S.D. have also been having problems in the last week, it would help relieve my anxiety somewhat. Starting to think it might be something in my local enviroment since I havent heard of anyone else having breathing problems.

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully we'll have a downpour in the next couple days so whatever is in the damn air will stay down.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
breathing problems

NV_ said:
The odd thing is that in 7 years of living in S.D. this is the 1st time I have had a problem with asthma. Back in Florida, I had asthma frequently (due to my own negligence mostly) and it had "cleared up", up until a couple weeks ago. If other asmhatics in S.D. have also been having problems in the last week, it would help relieve my anxiety somewhat. Starting to think it might be something in my local enviroment since I havent heard of anyone else having breathing problems.

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully we'll have a downpour in the next couple days so whatever is in the damn air will stay down.
on one of my visits to the dr last year...i noticed that the exhaust from all those motorconchos and cars was overwelming...my friend said that in the dr they use unleaded gas..from venezuela..in the cities like santiago and santo domingo..the pollution is magnified because of the traffic..he told me that if you walked around the city all day..you could actually see the residue of the unleaded gas glistening on your skin..if this is the case..imagine what it does to your lungs.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
NV_ it's not just you - my husband is asthmatic and he was having problems last night, which he attributed to the humidity. In your case as it is the first recurrence in years it's still worth getting a medical check-up.

paddy, don't forget the plantas. They run on diesel and are a major contributor to the air pollution in the DR.

We're lucky in SD that the sea breezes clear the air to some extent. If we were in a mountain valley like Santiago and several Latin American capitals we would be much worse off.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Chirimoya said:
NV_ it's not just you - my husband is asthmatic and he was having problems last night, which he attributed to the humidity. In your case as it is the first recurrence in years it's still worth getting a medical check-up.

paddy, don't forget the plantas. They run on diesel and are a major contributor to the air pollution in the DR.

We're lucky in SD that the sea breezes clear the air to some extent. If we were in a mountain valley like Santiago and several Latin American capitals we would be much worse off.
i'm ok as far as the breathing..the first time i was in the dr ..i went to punta cana..no air pollution..2nd time i went to sosua..noticed the air was filled with exhaust fumes right away..lots of motorconchos spewing smoky pollutants..strong ...the fumes hang in the air inside the bars and resturants ..at the time i smoked and it still bothered me..so my question is..do they only use unleaded gas in the dr??

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
paddy said:
i'm ok as far as the breathing..the first time i was in the dr ..i went to punta cana..no air pollution..2nd time i went to sosua..noticed the air was filled with exhaust fumes right away..lots of motorconchos spewing smoky pollutants..strong ...the fumes hang in the air inside the bars and resturants ..at the time i smoked and it still bothered me..so my question is..do they only use unleaded gas in the dr??
i'm sorry ..i meant leaded gas not unleaded in my post..

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
paddy said:

Unleaded gas and diesel. Leaded gas was phased out about 2 yrs ago.

Last edited:

chemchic

Mar 24, 2005
E coli

Hello, this is really not a response but another health issue I was just told about, is it true a e coli outbreak has closed any resorts in puerto plata? with in the last 48 hours?
thanks

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
NV_ said:
As an asthmatic living in S.D. , I was wondering if anyone else in the city is having trouble breathing these past 2 weeks?

At first I thought it mustve been my allergies just acting up but with all the reports of the forest fires I was starting to think that they may be the problem. As far as I can see, the air over the city, has "looked" (no indications of smoke around Las Praderas) clean but you never know.

Was starting to wonder if I should just ride it out or start looking through the old suitcases for my nebulizer...

I live on the North Coast and I also have asthma. My asthma condition worsened from the begining of February to February 28th when I returned back to NY. Check to insure that you are not allergic to mold. With the rain season it is common for mold to grow inside apartments, houses and condos. Also with the unregulated pollution of motoconchos, cars, buses and truck this causes a great deal of stres to an asthmatic. However, for some reason which I do not know this year has been the worse year for my asthma in 10 years previous.