Looking for Travel Suggestions

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
My third daughter is turning 21 in a couple weeks and I had promised her (during a weak moment I guess) a trip somewhere for her birthday with her two older sisters. She says anywhere, as long as there is a beach close by. One of my daughters is not crazy about flying and another just found out she was pregnant, so I was thinkng of somewhere fairly close. I was thinking of Our Lucaya in the Bahamas which is a short flight from Atlanta. But I just saw an ad by Vacations Express for Punta Cana which cost less and also includes food and drink (AI). My question is...is there a best or better place to stay in PC, or a place to stay away from? Or maybe someone out there has a better suggestion. Anyone??...Anyone??...

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
If she's looking for beaches, send her to Antigua. There she'll have access to more beaches she can go to in 20 trips.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Thanks, Dolores

VE lists Grand Paradise Bavaro - 4 plus stars
Punta Cana Princess - 4 stars
Melia Caribe Tropical - 5 stars, which is probably the one I would pick since I have heard some of the posters on DR1 say some good things about it.

Plus, I was wondering if La Romana would be too far for a one day trip since they will only be in PC for three or four days. I'd hate for them to go that far and not see where their old man lived for twenty years.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
AtlantaBob said:
VE lists Grand Paradise Bavaro - 4 plus stars
Punta Cana Princess - 4 stars
Melia Caribe Tropical - 5 stars, which is probably the one I would pick since I have heard some of the posters on DR1 say some good things about it.

Plus, I was wondering if La Romana would be too far for a one day trip since they will only be in PC for three or four days. I'd hate for them to go that far and not see where their old man lived for twenty years.

http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/amhsa_grand_paradise.shtml

http://www.dr1.com/directories/hotels/princess_puntacana.shtml

http://www.dr1.com/directories/hotels/melia_caribe_tropical.shtml
If you expect the Melia Caribe Tropical to be a 5 star hotel, you will be disappointed. More of a 4 star. Caribe Tropical is a very large hotel, very sprawled out.

I believe the Paradise is located in Cabeza de Toro, which makes it closer to the Punta Cana Airport. The Grand Paradise should cater almost entirely to US tourists. The other two should have a European and South American mix of tourists in addition to US tourists. Maybe some Canadians.

Rent a car for a day and leave early to visit La Romana and Bayahibe beach (go to the public beach entrance between Viva Dominicus Palace and Hacienda Iberostar). Visit Altos de Chavon and La Marina de Casa de Campo. Leave early so you can be back in time for not driving at night. See http://www.dr1.com/national/
You could probably arrange to drop the car off at the Punta Cana airport and save yourself the taxi fare.

Last edited:

yecca13

Jan 15, 2005
Our Lucaya

Ive been to the Grand Bahama Island twice, and would have to say although Our Lucaya is beautiful, the place is very boring. There are not any good restaraunts really to speak of, and the town square is teeny. THe beaches are nice, but small. I wouldnt recommend it for the price they charge, unless its for a short stay, it gets old fast.

Poncho Villa

Mar 8, 2005
Punta Cana

Have you ever stayed at an all inclusive? I had my first AI trip to Punta Cana last month. My personality, however, is not condusive to AI (except for the free drinks and breakfast.) We did alot of ventureing out to visit with the locals and try to blend in :glasses: didn't happen but it was fun anyhow.

Anyway, my point is, in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area, there is very little outside of the "compounds." I am thinking, though not sure, that Puerto Plata is a much livelyer place off the resorts.

Poncho

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the comments

I'm not really a fan of AI's, but for a short trip just to get some sun, umbrella drinks and a little bonding amonst the three sisters, it should be all they need.
I just hope they can handle the longer flight. At least, they have some choices.

Dolores, the Grand Paradise looks better than I thought it would be. I wish I were going too.

I think I'll plan a family reunion for next year and just take everybody to Bayahibe. That way I can go to Romana and visit some old friends.

Muchas gracias por todo, Bob