A shooting in Monte Llano

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Sadly, I must confirm that a Dominican was shot and killed by an assassin. He was a Dominican lawyer and an associate to friends of mine. He was on a street corner in Monte llano when a masked man rode up on a bike and shot him in the head. This did happen as it was confirmed by a fellow DR1 member living in Sosua as well as Dominican friends living in La Union. As always I will not disclose the name of this man out of respect for his family. Please do not ask.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The information was in the public domain from this morning when El Faro published early because of Semana Santa. I won't mention the name out of respect to your wishes but those who wish to know can read the article. We have friends in that small tight knit community & not surprisingly the community is devastated. Deep condolences to the family, Dominican Scotty, when you next communicate with your friends.

http://www.periodicoelfaro.com.do/1087/asesinanabogado.html

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Lambada said:
The information was in the public domain from this morning when El Faro published early because of Semana Santa. I won't mention the name out of respect to your wishes but those who wish to know can read the article. We have friends in that small tight knit community & not surprisingly the community is devastated. Deep condolences to the family, Dominican Scotty, when you next communicate with your friends.

Thank you for your concerns. As we know the name is already in the paper. However with sensitivity to the family I remain. Once again many thanks!

Scottie

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Partially true!

DominicanScotty said:
Sadly, I must confirm that a Dominican was shot and killed by an assassin. He was a Dominican lawyer and an associate to friends of mine. He was on a street corner in Monte llano when a masked man rode up on a bike and shot him in the head. This did happen as it was confirmed by a fellow DR1 member living in Sosua as well as Dominican friends living in La Union. As always I will not disclose the name of this man out of respect for his family. Please do not ask.

That's how rumours get started. It was definitely not a masked man who rode up and killed someone! I am acquainted with on of the men that was killed and know his family well! I can confirm that yes he was killed and he is a lawyer but no he was not assassinated (I guess that depends on how you define assassination?). The killing was a result of a dispute over a pistol - two residents of Montellano were fighting over who owned the pistol and went to the local police station with their lawyers to argue the dispute. Two people were killed - the lawyer of one of the people claiming to be the rightful owner of the gun and one of the men claiming to be the rightful owner of the gun. They all went to dispute the issue and a decision was made and when they exited the building, shooting broke out. The two people shot were taken to the hospital in Montellano alive but died shortly thereafter. It was a very sad and unfortunate incident and a prime example of how guns should not be common place and definitely not carried in the back pocket of a hot tempered Dominican (or tourist, ex pat, etc.). It also goes to show that if the medical facilities had been better (the hospital in Montellano is more of a walk-in clinic) the vicitims may have been able to be saved. I am close to many people in Montellano who are feeling the effects of this death and yesterday (the day of the funeral) was a very sad day!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Fiesta Mama said:
That's how rumours get started. It was definitely not a masked man who rode up and killed someone! I am acquainted with on of the men that was killed and know his family well! I can confirm that yes he was killed and he is a lawyer but no he was not assassinated (I guess that depends on how you define assassination?). The killing was a result of a dispute over a pistol - two residents of Montellano were fighting over who owned the pistol and went to the local police station with their lawyers to argue the dispute. Two people were killed - the lawyer of one of the people claiming to be the rightful owner of the gun and one of the men claiming to be the rightful owner of the gun. They all went to dispute the issue and a decision was made and when they exited the building, shooting broke out. The two people shot were taken to the hospital in Montellano alive but died shortly thereafter. It was a very sad and unfortunate incident and a prime example of how guns should not be common place and definitely not carried in the back pocket of a hot tempered Dominican (or tourist, ex pat, etc.). It also goes to show that if the medical facilities had been better (the hospital in Montellano is more of a walk-in clinic) the vicitims may have been able to be saved. I am close to many people in Montellano who are feeling the effects of this death and yesterday (the day of the funeral) was a very sad day!
Figures and why am I not surprised to hear a fable first?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Apologies

Fiesta Mama said:

Forgive me because I am a bit emotional now. This gentleman was a friend and an associate to my visiting friends here in NY who live in La Union and are also both lawyers. The news we got was from military sources that live in Monte Llano. Does anyone really wish to call these two friends of this man they are rumor spreading liars? The intention was purely to be respectful and if it wasn't we all apologize.

Many people in the Sosua area know Rafeal and I and know that we are not into spreading rumors so first of all allow me to apologize if this happened. I am sitting next to a Rafeal who is a Dominican lawyer a military captain and a personal friend to this man. We are both in shock and beside ourself with grief. Jeeezuz, we are into spreading FABLES!

Fiestamamma

I am glad that you are there and have your ear to the ground. Rafeal, his wife Mercedes and myself are overcome with grief. They return to Puerto Plata on April 3rd after the funeral and will miss it. They appreciate everything that people are doing to clear things up. they insist that we are NOT attempting to spread rumors. Our sources possibly had bad information and for that we are very upset.

Happy Easter everyone!

The "other" Scottie

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Dominican Scotty... I did not mean to make it sound like I thought you were spreading rumours. I was just trying to help you get better information so I am sorry if it came across that way. I am very sorry to you and to your friends as I am sure you are all very saddened by this news as was I. Montellano is a very close knit community and when someone from the town dies, especially in this horrible way and at Easter, everyone is affected one way or another. I wish people would understand the dangers of carrying a pistol in their back pocket... Having one to protect oneself or their home is another story but I have seen far too many incidents where people died or were injured simply because tempers flared and the people involved happend to have a gun in their posession. The shoot first, think later attitude is shared by many in this country and for that reason at times like Christmas, New Years, Easter, etc., I try to be very careful where I go because people are drinking more and it usually always goes hand in hand with some sort of shooting incident.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Fiesta Mama said:
Dominican Scotty... I did not mean to make it sound like I thought you were spreading rumours. I was just trying to help you get better information so I am sorry if it came across that way. I am very sorry to you and to your friends as I am sure you are all very saddened by this news as was I. Montellano is a very close knit community and when someone from the town dies, especially in this horrible way and at Easter, everyone is affected one way or another. I wish people would understand the dangers of carrying a pistol in their back pocket... Having one to protect oneself or their home is another story but I have seen far too many incidents where people died or were injured simply because tempers flared and the people involved happend to have a gun in their posession. The shoot first, think later attitude is shared by many in this country and for that reason at times like Christmas, New Years, Easter, etc., I try to be very careful where I go because people are drinking more and it usually always goes hand in hand with some sort of shooting incident.

Many thanks. Now if I can only understand why some other people like to use remarks that only incite people that are already hurt. For the life of me I do not understand this person. I will not get into a pissing match with him and simply leave him to his own devices. God Bless during this Easter holiday!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Fiesta Mama,
The information I am getting from Montellano differs from yours in some basic points but confirms others. This does NOT mean my sources are right & yours are wrong - it means I will be checking further to establish what is able to be confirmed by ALL parties!

Perhaps for the sake of those who are grieving at this moment, we could take this 'Off-line' and get a concensous on what actually happened & then report it? Feel free to e-mail/PM me with what you have checked 3 or 4 times & the facts that have been cross checked. If you have no objection, I will do likewise to you so that you may get the information I have checked out by your contacts!

I do not consider anything that has been written here to be a 'fable' just peoples own versions of the truth which sometimes get distorted by what friends & aquaintances have said in times of stress/anxiety. ~ Grahame

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I agree

BushBaby said:
Fiesta Mama,
The information I am getting from Montellano differs from yours in some basic points but confirms others. This does NOT mean my sources are right & yours are wrong - it means I will be checking further to establish what is able to be confirmed by ALL parties!

Perhaps for the sake of those who are grieving at this moment, we could take this 'Off-line' and get a concensous on what actually happened & then report it? Feel free to e-mail/PM me with what you have checked 3 or 4 times & the facts that have been cross checked. If you have no objection, I will do likewise to you so that you may get the information I have checked out by your contacts!

I do not consider anything that has been written here to be a 'fable' just peoples own versions of the truth which sometimes get distorted by what friends & aquaintances have said in times of stress/anxiety. ~ Grahame

Bushbaby I totally agree with you. I was just relaying what I was told by someone who was actually at the hospital when the two men who were shot arrived there. I too will check with my sources.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Fiesta Mama said:
Bushbaby I totally agree with you. I was just relaying what I was told by someone who was actually at the hospital when the two men who were shot arrived there. I too will check with my sources.

Now all we have to do is get the "washwoman" who is being insensitive and inciting already emotional people's anger to watch himself. I am actually enjoying myself because he just shoved his foot in his mouth.

For you insensitive morons that enjoy other people's sorrow read the damn article before you go popping off. READ IT!!!!!!!!

HAPPY EASTER!!!!

Last edited: