Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yellow Jumpsuit Street Sweeper People

I know you've seen them out there, keeping the streets of SD clean. How can I get them to come down my street? How much do they get paid? Are they a recent phenomenom? Are they convicts on work release? or Welfare recipients on Workfare? Maybe Community service for petty crimes?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe they're the Ayuntamiento's fashion statement answer to the guys in the blue jumpsuits who sell icecream?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default street sweepers

Quote Originally Posted by Naufrago
    I know you've seen them out there, keeping the streets of SD clean. How can I get them to come down my street? How much do they get paid? Are they a recent phenomenom? Are they convicts on work release? or Welfare recipients on Workfare? Maybe Community service for petty crimes?
    with all the people out of work in the dr...what would it take for you to find someone for pennies to sweep your street?

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

They get paid for it. That's their uniform.

They only clean avenues and important streets. I see them everyday on Romulo Betancourt, Sarasota and Enriquillo, they don't come in in neighborhood streets. You are responsible for sweeping the sidewalk in front of your house and keeping it clean. The dude that works here washes it every morning, do the same.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pib
    The dude that works here washes it every morning, do the same.
    Yes, of course. My Haitian Dude keeps our apartment sidewalk spotless too. But what about all of the other buildings on our street that don't seem to care as much? Do the police (or the Dept. Of Health, if one exists?) ever ticket a building owner for failure to clean the sidewalk?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the police (or the Dept. Of Health, if one exists?) ever ticket a building owner for failure to clean the sidewalk?
    Good one !!
    This is the Dominican Republic you are talking about, not some overregulated country like Switzerland.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in NYC, the Health Department Inspector gets the best tips (bribes). Now that's the kind of regulation they might really appreciate down here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaving for work this morning and what do I see, a whole army of yellow jumpsuit streetsweeper people moving down my street, working furiously. My Dominican Tax Pesos at work!

"From Dr1 posting to God's ears"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they really are out in force today.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaving for work this morning and what do I see, a whole army of yellow jumpsuit streetsweeper people moving down my street, working furiously. My Dominican Tax Pesos at work!

"From Dr1 posting to God's ears"
    I'll be darned! My street is right behind a main avenue that gets cleaned daily and nobody comes to sweep clean our street.

Anyways, kudos to Roberto for a job well-done (so far, so good).