Apartment rental in santiago?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have rented a few different apartments over the years in santo domingo, but am thinking about giving santiago a try as far as renting an apt. in the future.
For reference, I usually lived more like a "local" than most ex pats probably do, but certainly not like the gentleman posting his villa mella adventure!

Most recently I rented a 2 bedroom in ciudad nueva. A brand new building that had smaller rooms, no AC or planta but it did have hot water and an intercom for the front entrance etc. I was paying 7,500 pesos monthly, and apartments in the same building are now available for about 9,000 pesos.

Before that I rented a place in zona oriental that was also brand new, but above a colmado! That place was only 4,000 pesos per month, but 4,000 pesos then was worth more than it is now.
So while not Piantini, bella vista, aroyo hondo or even gazcue, it wasn't villa juana or villa mella either!

I have heard that in STI apartments are more affordable than in SDQ? I saw MrMike looking for a house in the 10k peso range, so that appears to be very reasonable.

I am not very familiar as to which areas of STI are better than others. I think even a decent one or two bedroom place in a decent area that has DSL available would be OK.

Does anyone have an idea what current rents are for decent places in STI? Or is there a recommended realtor that will not give me gringo prices?

Thanks in advance for any info you may have!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Near me are small apartments for about 5500 pesos. This would be approximately 1200 square feet. 1600 square feet is around 8000 to 9000. This is in a nice area and about three miles from monument. Going further out you can find nice ones for 6000. So...it is well within your budget.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thanks snuffy. Are those apts one bedroom? Two bedroom? What are the neighborhoods called? I assume DSL is available because it seems to be available all over STI.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
In the first area I described DSL is available. In the second...I believe so but not positive.

First area is La Espanola. You have to wind your way through the streets of Villa Olga to get there and some of the streets are...shall I just say neglected...These are two to four bedroom. Calle 9 and 10.

Second area is...off the top I can think of Gurabo. There are others but I know of this one because I was over there not to long ago and priced some apartments. You get on the road that goes up and over the mountains at Gurabo to Sosua and Puerta Plata. Before you ascend...you can look all over that area. I don't have my map with me otherwise I could name you specific areas to check out. Perhaps if you are still searching when I return to DR in a couple weeks.

P

poetathome

Hi Snuffy and Rafael,

My girlfriend and I are coming to Santiago & Puerto Plata in about a week. Have been reading this thread and have some questions myself. Are the apartments you guys are talking about furnished or unfurnished?

Another question I have is whether apartments in Puerto Plata cheaper than in Santiago? And how nice are these apartments for 9,000 pesos? Are they secure? In other words, if I leave my belongings for a few days to travel about the country, will they still be in my house when I return? I have grown attached to my belongings and also my girlfriend.

Also, I would like some information about traveling from Puerto Plata to Santiago. I am considering taking a temporary job in Santiago and want to know if it is cheaper to rent a car or take a bus. How much is it to rent a car by the month?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
When you say Puerta Plata do you mean the town or do you mean Sosua, Caberate, etc.? Anyway, these are unfurnished. Yes, you can leave your things and travel knowing they are secure. I believe Santiago is cheaper than the north coast. Bus is much cheaper than renting. Easy to bus to between Santiago and Puerta Plata. Car rental is...recently friend rented car for $300 for week. Probably get a deal on a month...perhaps...$1000USD.
Best of Luck.

poetathome said:
Hi Snuffy and Rafael,

My girlfriend and I are coming to Santiago & Puerto Plata in about a week. Have been reading this thread and have some questions myself. Are the apartments you guys are talking about furnished or unfurnished?

Another question I have is whether apartments in Puerto Plata cheaper than in Santiago? And how nice are these apartments for 9,000 pesos? Are they secure? In other words, if I leave my belongings for a few days to travel about the country, will they still be in my house when I return? I have grown attached to my belongings and also my girlfriend.

Also, I would like some information about traveling from Puerto Plata to Santiago. I am considering taking a temporary job in Santiago and want to know if it is cheaper to rent a car or take a bus. How much is it to rent a car by the month?