Rock en Espanol-What's on the radio?

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
Hi there,
can anyone tell me what's hot on the radio in DR?
Specifically Rock en Espanol? Que lo que se esta oyendo alla?
We don't get to hear much Rock en Espanol here in NYC.....so I need to know what's out there......
Mil Gracias!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I love "juanes" new CD called " Mi Sangre", especially the one titled " nada valgo sin tu amor". Not sure if it's considered Rock but it sure ain't no Bachata :laugh:

PS
not that there's anything wrong with bachata ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You don't get much rock en espanol on the radio here either that I am aware of, too bad, there is some great stuff out there.

The Musicmatch internet radio (paid subscription required) has a good rock en espanol channel that I listen to requently, or whenever I'm not on one of my drunken bluegrass binges.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Anna,

I know what you mean however, I don't think Juanes is classifed as rock en espa?ol. Just like music from Carlos Santana. How is that classified because his music is a fusion of rhythms i.e. Latin Jazz and mixed Caribbean nuances? When I think of rock en espa?ol older groups like Los Fabulosos Cadillac and some of Carlos Vives' older music (before he began with vallenato) come to mind. I think Juanes is great too and his cd is always just filed alphabetically under "J" in the Latin music section. However, this not my preferred music category so I don't know much.

-Lesley D

Anna Coniglio said:
I love "juanes" new CD called " Mi Sangre", especially the one titled " nada valgo sin tu amor". Not sure if it's considered Rock but it sure ain't no Bachata :laugh:

PS
not that there's anything wrong with bachata ;)

gatamayo

Feb 16, 2005
Latin Rock

I don't know whats hot on the radio in DR, but here in NYC all they play is merengue and bachata and reggaton. If you want to know whats hot just go to a Spanish music store and ask.. Try to find underground clubs like here in NYC there is Kana and Arca Lounge.
Now for whats hot in the Latin music world you can never go wrong with the tried and true performers. Juanes - "Mi Sangre", Carlos Vives - "Rock De Mi Pueblo", Los Enanitos Verdes have a live greatest hit album they put out. Andy & Lucas is a new group great sound. Also if you are a nostalgia fan, La Union has a greatest hits CD they put out, also the legendary band Los Heroes Del Silencio also has a greatest hits out too. Bacilos - "Sin Verguenza" is also a great album. Shakira's new album is also worth looking at. Also try Mana they are always awesome. I hope this helps but as in anything consult the professionals at a music shop they can tell you whats out and whats hot. ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Lesley D said:
Anna,

I know what you mean however, I don't think Juanes is classifed as rock en espa?ol. Just like music from Carlos Santana. How is that classified because his music is a fusion of rhythms i.e. Latin Jazz and mixed Caribbean nuances? When I think of rock en espa?ol older groups like Los Fabulosos Cadillac and some of Carlos Vives' older music (before he began with vallenato) come to mind. I think Juanes is great too and his cd is always just filed alphabetically under "J" in the Latin music section. However, this not my preferred music category so I don't know much.

-Lesley D

Generally if it's not some other traditional style then it's rock. Juanes to me is cumbia but since the dude plays a telecaster instead of a classical guitar that makes it rock. Of course its only "rock" in Latin America, the group's hobknobbing with mainstream pop stars like Nelly Furtado puts them in the Latin Pop category for international consideration.

But Latin Pop in Latin America is populated by unimaginative, diabetic closet perverts like Chayanne and the like so a new category has to be set up for original groups like Juanes, even though there stuff is relatively tame compared to what North America and Europe considers Rock.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mike you're right about some of the earlier ones sound like cumbia. I first heard juanes when I was in the DR. First song was " la paga'. It's an upbeat catchy tone so I had to find out who sang it. I got as many songs as I could on the net since I live in Guelph :rolleyes: and we don't have much Spanish music sold here.

Then one day I was looking for info on juanes and found the new CD. They had a sample of the song "nada valgo sin ti amor" and it sounded great to me! I was so happy to be able to get in in Guelph ;) I would say most of the album sounds like pop rock.

http://www.juanes.net/espanol/index.htm

I forgot mana. I bought that in the DR. They are very good too.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Juanes =Cumbia

Wow- I don't think I would have ever classified Juanes as cumbia although I agree the nuances are there. And if it is classified as cumbia certainly a watered down Colombian version because true Colombian cumbia does not sound like Juanes' music. BTW I listen to Colombian cumbia quite regularly especially the older music so I find this all very interesting and also an example of how music can be interpreted differently by each listener.

-Lesley D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Lesley juanes doesn't = cumbia. Mike was tring to say that some of it sounds more like cumbia than rock, such as "la paga"

I'll stand at pop rock! ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Anna....

Thanks for clarifying because I really did not agree with that at all! Juanes is just Juanes. Nice music to listen to whatever it is.

Gracias

-LDG-

Anna Coniglio said:
Lesley juanes doesn't = cumbia. Mike was tring to say that some of it sounds more like cumbia than rock, such as "la paga"

I'll stand at pop rock! ;)

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
The most developed acts of rock-pop en espa?ol are, as anyone might've guessed, from the larger countries like Spain (Joaqu?n Sabina, Presuntos Implicados, Mecano, Manolo Tena, Nacha Pop, Juan Perro, Jarabe de Palo, Los Rodr?guez) Argentina (Fito P?ez, Divididos, Ratones Paranoicos, Enanitos Verdes, Luis Alberto Spinetta, Charly Garc?a, Memphis La Blusera, Los Fabulosos Cadillac), Mexico (Jaguares, Man?,El Tri,Caf? Tacuba, Ely Guerra),and Colombia (Juanes, Aterciopelados, Shakira). Good ones from Chile (La Ley) Puerto Rico (Fiel a La Vega, La Secta, Fulano de Tal ) and DR (Toque Profundo, Al-Jadaqui) US Latino (bilingual) groups are Ozomatli, Los Lobos, Mocosos, Los Lonely Boys, The Iguanas, etc..Euro-latinos like Mano Negra/Manu Chao. Many others...

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Tordok said:
The most developed acts of rock-pop en espa?ol are, as anyone might've guessed, from the larger countries like Spain (Joaqu?n Sabina, Presuntos Implicados, Mecano, Manolo Tena, Nacha Pop, Juan Perro, Jarabe de Palo, Los Rodr?guez) Argentina (Fito P?ez, Divididos, Ratones Paranoicos, Enanitos Verdes, Luis Alberto Spinetta, Charly Garc?a, Memphis La Blusera, Los Fabulosos Cadillac), Mexico (Jaguares, Man?,El Tri,Caf? Tacuba, Ely Guerra),and Colombia (Juanes, Aterciopelados, Shakira). Good ones from Chile (La Ley) Puerto Rico (Fiel a La Vega, La Secta, Fulano de Tal ) and DR (Toque Profundo, Al-Jadaqui) US Latino (bilingual) groups are Ozomatli, Los Lobos, Mocosos, Los Lonely Boys, The Iguanas, etc..Euro-latinos like Mano Negra/Manu Chao. Many others...

Being a big fan of the spanish music I might add Miguel Rios there... also, Miguel Bose (i love him), Ana Belen, Ana Torroja, El ultimo de la fila, Alaska... err as usual the 80's music is much better than the actual... :nervous:

Jess :bunny:

l_th

Jun 4, 2004
www.809k.com
He kinda wanted to know what "hot" on the radio currently.

International Rock en espa?ol on heavy rotation would be:
-Juanes
-Julieta Venegas
-Eli Guerra
-Molotov
-Natalia Lafulcar

Also local bands are having a great year with lots of NEW music and good productions
-Nux
-CeroBit
-Martes o Venus
-Auro y Clemt