Dual Citizenship???

V

vincent

Are Dominicans who marry Americans and subsequently apply for US citizenship allowed to have dual citizenship. That is, being a "citizen" of the US and a "citizen" of the DR. As I understand it for US citizens if you obtain citizenship (not just residency) in another nation you give up your US citizenship. Is this the same for DR citizens accepting citizenship elsewhere. Anyone have any insights on this???

D

DR One

The US passport recognizes dual citizenship. There are many US citizens who hold citizenship of another country and have not given up their US citizenship. DR laws permit their citizens to hold dual citizenship. What I was once told regarding US citizens is that they should abstain from voting in their new country in order to maintain their US citizenship.

J

jerry

What about a Domincian who wants US citizenship? If they get it does it mean they can no long vote in DR?

Jerry

M

mercedes

I have recently married a Dominican does this mean that I may have dual citizenship now with my birth country and the birth country of my husband? Am I capable of becoming a Dominican much easier now that I have married?

D

DR One

Yes, by Dominican law you can apply for Dominican citizenship. The law also requires that you have resided in the DR prior to applying for citizenship.