Travel Agency in POP

Dec 9, 2002
Hi Guys, I'm having a real nightmare trying to make arrangements to get my husband Kennedy over here at the moment. What I would like to do ideally is to come over for my usual holiday using a British charter company, forego the return flight, and fly back with Kennedy on scheduled flights via either Holland or Germany. Simple enough plan I thought. Wrong! It now turns out that I cannot buy a one-way ticket here in England for a flight originating outside the UK. So, we have to purchase our flights in DR.

Kennedy has never travelled outside DR before, and has no idea as to whether one travel agent is better than another one. So if anyone can recommend a good travel agency in POP I would be grateful. Also, does anyone have any idea on the sort of cost we might be looking at - I'm hoping we can travel in May.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Easter to you all.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Did you try www.travelocity.com ? Tickets there are cheaper than in a travel agency. You buy them using a credit card, tickets are electronic. You show your passport in the airport and your ticket appears in their system :)

I dont know if they sell charter flights... you can do the search... First of all, you should check if your dominican boyfriend needs a visa to enter your country, otherwise, he will not be allowed to finish the check-in in the airline counter at the airport.

Jess

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Jess. He's my husband, not my boyfriend, and no, he can't travel on a british charter and yes, he does have a UK visa ;)

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Great, then it is only a matter of buying a one way ticket. I checked it, the cheapest one way ticket to london is about 550 dollars, via Air France (stop in Paris)... how romantique...

Best luck!

Jess :)

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Jess, but I can't see where you get the US$550 from. I have just searched Travelocity and the only flights coming up are via USA, and the cheapest shows at US$1840! He can't fly via Paris anyway without another visa - Holland or Germany are the only places I have been able to find where he can transit without the need for an additional visa.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Good morning! :)

I am afraid there is no one-way ticket to London, stepping on Holland or Germany as the sole stop/connection. At least not shown in Travelocity.

When you do your search select One-way (instead of round trip) and select Flexible dates (instead of Exact dates) that will show you the best airfare deals.

If he already has a UK visa stamped in his passport, it would be easier to get a transit visa in a european country. The cheaper flight is via Paris (Air France) at around 550 dollars, the second is via Madrid (Air Airopa) at around 620 dollars.

Have him call the french and spanish embassy to ask for requirements for transit visas. Or, when you are here, go with him to have that done.

Good luck :)

Jess :)

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Hi DB,

I found an itinerary that will work for you.

I assumed your destination in England is London, and arbitrarily chose a travel date of May 16.

There is a Martinair flight (617) from POP to Amsterdam. It leaves at 7:15 PM and arrives at 2:15 PM. The connection is good - an hour and fifteen minutes later there is a flight from Amsterdam to London on BMI (flight 108).

One way (always more expensive) was $685.48 pp (US). It was on Cheaptickets (http://www.cheaptickets.com) and can be purchased online.

I did not search for lower prices since I was assuming both final destination and actual date of travel.

It MIGHT also be cheaper to fly from SDQ - but that is a whole other hassle.

Depart Mon., May 16 Martinair 617 1 Stops

Martinair Depart 7:15 pm Arrive 2:15 pm
Puerto Plata (POP) Amsterdam (AMS) Boeing 767-300
Coach
No. of Stops: 1 (Amsterdam)

>> Connection: Ground Time: 1 hr 15 min

Tue., May 17 bmi british 108 Non-Stop

bmi british Depart 3:30 pm Arrive 3:40 pm
Amsterdam (AMS) London (LHR) Airbus Industrie A319
Coach

Total Travel Time: 15 hrs 25 mins

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
Thanks La Profe. I'm assuming that is the flight that goes to Amsterdam via Varadero, Cuba? Not sure what the transit visa situation with Cuba, haven't been able to ascertain that info yet. Incidentally, I have found a direct flight to AMS on the Martinair website on Sundays March-October [MP603], but that flight doesn't come up on Cheaptickets. I can't find any UK contact details for Martinair either - I did try to phone their HO yesterday, but the guy on the phone didn't speak much English and couldn't understand me. Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh :tired: :tired:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Hi DB...

The flight was non-stop POP to AMS.

It is really a GREAT itinerary and the price is not TOO bad.

ronv

Sep 8, 2004
flights to u.k

what we do is to go to the office (directions below)
and book with a charter company i.e thompson/first choice/airtours
You will need a spouses visa or right to remain indef visa a visiting visa is no good.

in Nov if my memory serves me right it was around 400 u.s

Directions take road out of p.p towards playa dorada go past brugal factory on left you will see a parade of shops on right (i think there was an air boat parked outside in nov)
The far right office has blacked out windows go in and to the back left hand office and they should sort you out.

Dont let them fob you off and this way you will both be able to fly together.

RON

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Anna, I'm still trying to find out if that info is up to date as the thread is 2 and half years old.

The flight was non-stop POP to AMS.
Sorry La Profe, 617 is definitely via Varadero. You are right about the price, that's fine. I can't book it from UK though, they don't accept credit cards from here :cry: Got the following from their FAQs:
General Questions Which countries does your site accept credit cards from? Currently, we process credit card charges if the credit card has a billing address in the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico. If you enter a credit card billing address outside the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico, you will not be able to book a ticket or reservation on our site.
I've tried cheapflights.co.uk, but they only give UK airports as the starting point.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Escott said:
Let me give you a bit of additional advice. I use travelocity then go to the website of the airline to book and save another 15-20 US Dollars every time:)
That's because Travelocity searches for all the PUBLISHED fares and than tacks on a fee for those airlines that no longer pay travel agents a commission.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Airline search

I use this site with very good luck.
http://matrix.itasoftware.com
Works US and International. Just gives flights and connections $ available seats. yOU deal DIRECTLY with the airline with specific booking details in hand.
r
Jimmy

Dec 9, 2002
Brilliant link Jimmy

Thank you so much. I've just done a search there and found Martinair POP to AMS [via Montego Bay], with a connection to London on BMI. Total cost - including taxes - ?799.00 FOR TWO TICKETS. WOW ! ! ! !

I just have to check that he can transit via Jamaica without any problems, then try and book it. Fantastic!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Plaza Turisol - many charter agencies

The office center - shopping center ronv is describing is called 'Plaza Turisol'; his directions are more or less correct. Almost directly opposite the huge Brugal plant on the POP- Sosua highway. [Circumvaliacion Norte].
* There are 10 - 15 - 20 package tour & charter flight operators' offices in Plaza Turisol. I think that many, perhaps most, are British.
* The existence of empty seats is common, depending on the season. While it is technically illegal [why?] to fly to the UK in an empty charter seat, while never having flown to the DR on the correcsponding flight, it is done & can be done. Ask around. The same principle applies to USA charter flights.
* Hint: many of the employees, primarily British, socialize @ Cafe Cito, behind Harrison's Jewelry Store, next to Avis, same highway. Most seem to be pleasant, compassionate people; typical of the British. Showing up @ 5:00 PM & buying a round of cheer might lubricate your process.
* Food for thought. Good luck!