Us Government Work

shinobi16

Mar 21, 2005
Anybody working for the US government in D.R.? I've been working with the US government in New York for 19 years and I'm planning on moving to D.R. Every time I look at the US embassy site for employment there's nothing available. I will like to get a position with the US government in D.R., any suggestions or advise? Thanks.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, have you been in contact with the people at the embassy/consulate here in DR? Maybe they can at least give you more information about employments, upcoming available positions etc.
Give them a call!

shinobi16

Mar 21, 2005
carina said:
Hi, have you been in contact with the people at the embassy/consulate here in DR? Maybe they can at least give you more information about employments, upcoming available positions etc.
Give them a call!

Thanks, I'll do that. Any other US Government agencies in DR besides the embassy?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Note they have a job on that web site that if you are not ordinarily a resident is US$27,000 a year and if you are US$9300 a year. How nice of them. Not that either wage is worth a pinch of ****.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Lambada said:
Could that be challenged under US Anti discrimination legislation? Sort of 'location' discrimination as opposed to race, age, gender etc discrimination.

As soon as they move the embassy to the US from the DR I guess they could.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
To work at the US Embassy you would need to apply and get into the US State Department. They are the diplomats, but then you would not

Another option is to join US Agency for Int'l Development (USAID). However, given that your experience is limited to the states it will be really difficult to show development experience abroad (vacations don't count).

Another possibility is to create a position for yourself that is linked to DR. This means are you in a coveted position within US gov't to make it happen for yourself? The NYPD did it--however, temporary it might be.

G'luck

shinobi16 said:
Anybody working for the US government in D.R.? I've been working with the US government in New York for 19 years and I'm planning on moving to D.R. Every time I look at the US embassy site for employment there's nothing available. I will like to get a position with the US government in D.R., any suggestions or advise? Thanks.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Lambada said:
Why not before? Embassies count as 'sovereign' territory, don't they, which is why in some countries, people seek refuge in them.

The US seems to have been able to dodge (for a while anyway) the whole sovereign territory argument by trying to eliminate legal rights in Guantenamo Bay. I think local laws dictate the hiring practices for locals.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Maybe...

ricktoronto said:
The US seems to have been able to dodge (for a while anyway) the whole sovereign territory argument by trying to eliminate legal rights in Guantenamo Bay. I think local laws dictate the hiring practices for locals.

The detainees of Guantenamo should sue the U.S in the courts of Cuba then?

Regards