tourist card question :)

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Hola everyone!! I need to know where in the Puerto Plata airport I can obtain a tourist card. (The green tourist card that is NORMALLY included in your package when you have purchased an all-inclusive package.) I won't be doing the all inclusive vacation on my next visit and need to know where I can buy that tourist card. Thank you very much. :)

Happy Easter. xxx

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Angel_04 said:
Hola everyone!! I need to know where in the Puerto Plata airport I can obtain a tourist card. (The green tourist card that is NORMALLY included in your package when you have purchased an all-inclusive package.) I won't be doing the all inclusive vacation on my next visit and need to know where I can buy that tourist card. Thank you very much. :)

Happy Easter. xxx

When you come out, ver left and you will see the line. Jet Blue Sells then in NYC.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Angel_04 said:
...and need to know where I can buy that tourist card.
To avoid waiting in another line when you land, it's best to buy the card at the airport in the US. However, if you forget to buy it or you don't want to pay the extra dollar that some airlines charge, you can buy it the POP airport.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Malibook said:
Isn't it NORMALLY included with the flight tickets?

Nope! its not included. I believe it is ten bucks....i really recommend buying it while you are being ticketed in the US (or wherever). You can get it when you arrive as well...but who wants to wait in another line. I think they might charge you an extra dollar here....but it is well worth the convenience

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
jrzyguy said:
Nope! its not included. I believe it is ten bucks....
It was for me.
When I say included, I don't mean it was free.
I bought my flight tickets from a travel agent and the card was with the tickets.
It was not billed as a separate item but I'm sure it was worked into the price.

Maybe this is not so if one buys direct from the airline.
Perhaps it depends on the agent since some of them also include the departure tax and some don't.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Malibook said:
I have had the departure tax included a few times but the tourist card has always been included.

Thank you everyone! I have never had the departure tax included. I usually pay that before i leave in the POP airport. *As for the tourist card.. I will see if I can pick one up in the Toronto airport before I leave (would RATHER not stand in any more lines--especially in the DR). However, if worse comes to worse, at least now I know that I can obtain one in the POP airport.. (ver left and there should be a line) ;) Thanks again.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It was in the skyservice. Air Only. So far I've never had to line up for a tourist card.

I've never had the departure included. 20 US paid at a booth in DR before you leave.

Angel when you book your next flight only, ask. More than likely the tourist card it will be included unless you go with AA or somthing like that ;)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
not so hard

We were in POP airport just a couple of weeks ago. Our second trip in the last 4 months. We got the tourist card as we deplaned. Never filled it out just handed it to customs with our passport and were passed ritht on through. Gave them back the card (still not filled out) when we left. The line for the card was about 30 seconds. Did not pay any departure tax either, it must have been included in the air ticiet price.
It is a piece of cake

Bob K

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I never had to deal with the tax thing (I fly continental). Last year i didnt get the card while here...and had to stand in line at SDQ for a good half hour before customs and stuff. It wasnt horrible.....but when i get there the LEAST time at the airport and dealing with security and customs is a priority. So just get it when you are checking in while in canada. Personaly...i just want to hit the water asap when i get there! :)

Rafaelito007

Mar 28, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
I've never had the departure included. 20 US paid at a booth in DR before you leave.

I guess only in DR. I am not sure if my departure fee was included or not. But when I asked how much to the lady at immigration in Santo Domingo, she said: "Do you have $10?" So, I gave her $10. I took American Airlines and purchased the ticket from its website. The receipt says $126 in taxes. Anyway, I thought it was $20 too. But if it was already included in the ticket, then the immigration lady pocketed the $10.

Jun 5, 2004
I believed that u couldnt buy the tourist cards in the US I remember asking the agent @ JFK and they told me that it was to be purchased at arrival in STI?????? was she trying to trick me or is this right ?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I believe all the major carriers

now include the $20 exit fee in the ticket price. I think we can thank Maingirl for this, as I recall her story about crying her way out of it on a trip some time back. ;)

A little trick for those who travel to the DR regularly and like to save time on entry. Buy an extra tourist card or 2 on your next trip and save it for the future. Although they are numbered, it appears to have little meaning. Next trip, you can have the card filled out in advance and go straight through immigration and customs. A friend of mine has been doing this for years, and has never had a problem with the number being out of sequence with those being sold the same day.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
sweetdbt said:
I believe all the major carriers now include the $20 exit fee in the ticket price.
I have found that very few travel agents included the exit fee in the package price and it seems like none of them do it anymore.

I would think that a carrier doing this would be even more rare.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Malibook said:
I have found that very few travel agents included the exit fee in the package price and it seems like none of them do it anymore.

All I know is I haven't paid anything on departure on my last 9 trips, using mostly AA, with one trip each on Continental and US Air. Tickets bought both on line and through a travel agent. There are well over $100 in taxes and fees for each round trip ticket to the DR. I can only speculate that it's included in there somewhere. Fact is, I wouldn't even know who to give it to on departure. Maybe I'm supposed to pay, and the people who are supposed to be collecting the $ are too lazy to stop me? Could be, but somehow I doubt it.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
sweetdbt said:
All I know is I haven't paid anything on departure on my last 9 trips, using mostly AA, with one trip each on Continental and US Air. Tickets bought both on line and through a travel agent. There are well over $100 in taxes and fees for each round trip ticket to the DR. I can only speculate that it's included in there somewhere. Fact is, I wouldn't even know who to give it to on departure. Maybe I'm supposed to pay, and the people who are supposed to be collecting the $ are too lazy to stop me? Could be, but somehow I doubt it.

i have never paid a tax either....just the ten bucks for that little green form...that i AGAIN recommend the OP to buy before he or she leaves. Just one less hastle when you get there. if they dont ask YOU when you are getting ticketed....you ask for IT. we waited a good hour two years ago on arrival to sdq....just me..but that is something that i would prefer to avoid.

Even if they dont check the cards that carefully....i would rather go thru quickly.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Malibook said:

Other than AA and US and Continental that is, e.g. all the US ones. Charter companies are not really carriers per se.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Why not wait in line ???

And miss the free booze??? At SDQ, you get free brugal while you wait. Getting started with my drinking early... That's why I wait !
E.