Semana santa at Juan Dolio Beach!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just returned home from the public beach in Juan Dolio......

I am very impressed (maybe even a bit in shock!).
It's been about 6-7 yrs since we've been here for the whole Semana Santa weekend as we usually leave Good Friday or very early Saturday morning to return to Canada. I must say I truly am in awe at how organized, peaceful and tranquil it is at Juan Dolio Beach today!
Except for the Sedal shampoo station and the civil defense people it is much like any other Saturday at the beach.
You can walk down the street with no problem and also along the beach without bumping into or stepping over anyone. There is no loud music (just the "normal" music from the bars along the strip), no drunks, no fights - basically no "disturbances" at all.
There are a few more beach vendors selling foods and beverages or "trencita's" but not many more.
The helicopters of the armed forces have been making regular passes over the area, Amet & civil defence are directing traffic at the beach entrances, there are people directing traffic on the beach road to parking areas (and yes there are still spaces to park!!). There are even civil defence persons making announcements along the beach about glass bottles,zafacones, beach "closing" hours, bus departure times etc.
If I didn't know any better I'd think I was back home on Independance Day (Dominion Day to us Canadians!) altho' I do believe it's even better organized here than at home! (WOW did I just SAY that!!!!????).
Had a nice swim with my company and am sitting at home now sipping a rum and orange juice! There aren't even that many people in the pool inside our complex!
I really must be dreaming.....this can't be Semana Santa!!! it must be next week and I've just read the calendar wrong again!!

Anyhow.....hope everyone else has a great Easter also!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I guess everyone went to Boca Chica!!

It is a busy day on the beach at Juan Dolio but not much more than any other beautiful, sunny, hot Sunday!
I can't believe how peaceful it is on the street and in the bars & restaurants!
Except for some fools who woke me up at shortly after 6 AM (guests from one of the resorts down the street that came home with someone renting one of the apts for the weekend!) it's been a quiet weekend much like any other.
My how times have changed! There's hope for us expats living here after all! ;)