Best phone card from Middle US to DR

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
I am trying to find a less expensive calling card to use when calling the DR from the US. I had a student purchase a Loco Loco card in Miami on spring break but found that unfortunately the 800 number can cannot be dialed from my area (Missouri).

So I looked online at phonesavers.com at a card Pollo Loco which supposedly can be used from my area at about 7 cents a minute with no connection fees, but with my first experience I am a little hesitant to give credit card information etc without some idea if is a legit card.

Can any of you who may have relatives in the mid US or any of you living in the DR have any ideas?

I searched the archives using phone cards from US to DR but found information mostly from 2001.

thanks
Teacher

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have used thse guys a ton over the years. Usually pretty good, but once in a while their system gets whacky. http://www.nobelcom.com/nobelcom/js...y=87&Search.x=201&Search.y=11&AFFN=1058049641

I've also tried caribone and they give me a bunch of minutes but it seems like every few minutes the connection gets real dicey. I wind up telling the people on the other end to just wait a minute and it will clear up. I am going back to nobelcom. . . . .

If you call the same people in the DR, and you call a lot, better off getting them DSL and a Vonage or similar VOIP phone. I am looking into getting a second number just for that. 1500 pesos per month plus 15 bucks for vonage sure beats paying a few hundred in calling cards!!! Plus if they have a computer you can chat, webcam etc.

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
rafael said:
I have used thse guys a ton over the years. Usually pretty good, but once in a while their system gets whacky. http://www.nobelcom.com/nobelcom/js...y=87&Search.x=201&Search.y=11&AFFN=1058049641

I've also tried caribone and they give me a bunch of minutes but it seems like every few minutes the connection gets real dicey. I wind up telling the people on the other end to just wait a minute and it will clear up. I am going back to nobelcom. . . . .

If you call the same people in the DR, and you call a lot, better off getting them DSL and a Vonage or similar VOIP phone. I am looking into getting a second number just for that. 1500 pesos per month plus 15 bucks for vonage sure beats paying a few hundred in calling cards!!! Plus if they have a computer you can chat, webcam etc.

Thank you Rafael As of now they do not have internet at their house. I will try the nobelcom

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Another benefit of paypal is getting a second card is pretty easy. I was able to get my dominican ex novia a second card on my paypal acount. It was a mastercard so she was able to charge stuff and I could also send her money without paying western union fees etc.

Paypal also comes in handy when you want to receive money.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Tel 3

I spend $50 to $150 per month calling the DR. here is the best service that i have found.

www.tel3.com

Check it out, BTW I live in Indianain the middle of the US

Chuckuindy

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
chuckuindy said:
I spend $50 to $150 per month calling the DR. here is the best service that i have found.

www.tel3.com

Check it out, BTW I live in Indianain the middle of the US

Chuckuindy
I looked at this cite. Looks like about 7 cents a minute from a land line phone. Have you used this service long?
thanks Chuckuindy
Teacher

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
The Best

Teacher said:
Have you used this service long?
thanks Chuckuindy
Teacher

I have used it for more than a year now and find it to be the best of several that I have used.

Chcukuindy

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
Sprint sells a calling card with 6 cent calls to the DR from US. I bought a ten dollar card and recieved about 60 minutes of calls to the DR. I buy them all the time. They are yellow and can be bought in the drug stores, convenient stores etc.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
where in the mid US are you calling from?
I use calling cards all the time to call DR and only two come to mind that have great rates out of NYC: New York Central [STi] and Motoconcho
both are great each to call either land or cell phones
ny central $2 = 1 hour talk time to a land line
motoconcho $2 = 40 min talk time to a cell phone
if you can find someone to get you those cards from here in NY or can find them out in the mid US then they are great!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I also use tel3.com and have for many years. I get local numbers to dial and then make international calls from anywhere in the US. I go to their site and put the area code I'm going to in and it gives me local numbers to call. Very consistent, clear calls. You can check their site for charges.

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
Check this out

I have been using Rebtel for a while now, they have recently added DR as one of their "included" countries. Which when you follow the steps will let you pretty much call there for free. But otherwise it's 4.9c/min to landlines & 9.9c/min mobiles.

Check it out here. Rebtel