Cats from the UK

AandB

May 11, 2004
Hi

I have been reading through the posts but cannot find an answer to my question so wondered if anyone could help us? We have two cats we would like to bring out with us from the UK when move out soon. We are having difficulties finding an airline that we can fly out with along with the cats. Does anyone have any experience of bringing cats or small dogs to the DR from the UK?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bud

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Any airline would accept cats. You have to book them when you book your own tickets. There are certain rules and regulations of the sizes of the cages etc. You will not have your cats in the cain though.
You check them in, and see them again at your destination poing.
When you wait for the luggage someone will bring the cages out and give them to you. You go yourself to the vet at the airport, show your papers from your UK vet, vaccin etc and pay a sum, get a paper and that is it.
I dont remember how much it did cost me, it is too long ago, something around 400 pesos for 2 cats at the customs in Puerto Plata.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hopefully that would work, and second option is that the crew takes care of the cats.
When we brought the cats, Martinair first confirmed in the cabin, but later on changed their minds and reserved another spot in the "cargo" area ( but for animals ). I even bought the bags you talk about, but then had to go and exchange those for cages with sizes that were IATA approved.
The buttom line is no airline refuses to take animals aboard, one way or the other.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No they don't refuse, but some have restrictions about the time of year you can do this, because of temperatures etc. For hold travel that is.

Aa&b, if you're coming in to Puerto Plata, Judy of Judy's Pet Lodge often 'meets' animals at the airport & she knows all the ropes. She also works closely with Dr. Bob who is an excellent vet. He is American so speaks English as is Judy.

AandB

May 11, 2004
Thank you all for your advice.
I have started to look into these suggestions. Really appreciated. I will let the Forum know what happens when and how we get them sorted. Not too sure we'll be lucky enough to get a 1st class seat though! Now that would be nice!

Regards
Anne and Bud (and Katie and Arnie)