Robert, a long sad tale

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I need help. Nothing burns in my little alcohol burner/flameador.

I visited Tanya's the other day because she serves fondues on Fri & Sat, and she told me she had to change all her burners to the gel type because she couldn't find the liquid fuel. At one time she smuggled it in from Switzerland, but since 9-11 that option no longer exists.

Previously...

I tried 151 proof rum last year, but no flame. Several people, DR1ers even, advised me that this would be foolproof. Watered down, I thought at the time.

I tried turpentine, on advice of Coastal's right-hand man, because someone else had needed a 'clean-burning' flame, and it burned for her. Not for me.

Before the 151 rum debacle, I had the audacity to ask Coastal if they sold gas line antifreeze, which is another name for Methyl hydrate. Desperation, I guess.

I tried Methylated alchohol here, from a ferreteria in Charamicos, but it didn't work, to my surprise. I wonder if it was watered down?

I tried Isopropyl alcohol, but it isn't pure enough... I need 95%, and the pharmacy supplier in Santiago sells 70%. Or... was it watered down?

Suddenly, last week, I had the brilliant idea to ask... beg ... proposition... someone, anyone, to bring in their baggage that "Everclear" (in US) or "Alcool" (in Canada), that high proof pure alcohol it was once fashionable to use for homemade kahlua.

btw, the science lab supplier I called in Montana told me it was called "Everclear" in the US. I thought to ask the US name after you advised me about the stupid Canadian words for things. Can you imagine that in Canada we call it such a remarkably ridiculous word like 'Alcool'. heh

Anyway, Camden Tom & Mary told me they aren't allowed to sell the stuff in their state. Same with NY. 9-11 again. I guess Montana is behind the times.

I know no one traveling here from Montana anytime soon.

Was this tale long and sad enough for you?

HELP!

:) Dawn

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
huh?

Is this some kind of satanic ritual, Chris?

Or a prescription for frazzled nerves? Am I to place the candles, a hundred or so, around a jacuzzi bathtub? OR WHAT?

I NEED A FUEL THAT BURNS CLEAN. THAT IS ALL.

:)

PS My nerves aren't frazzled. Not one little bit.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'm coming down to Sosua on April 6. I don't know if we still sell Everclear in Alberta (it's called "Everclear" here, at least in Saskatchewan, where I grew up). If we don't sell Everclear here, what can I bring for you?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-How about "gas de lampara" ? that's the stuff people here put in oil-lamps (lampara de gas). You just go to your local ferreteria and ask for "una botellita de gas para mi lampara"...
this is what most people would use whenever there's a black-out (quite often...)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My thought also!

I buy "Lamp fuel" for my oil lamps at the "Cuesta" in Plaza Central that comes from the US or Canada (yes many years ago I used to "smuggle it in" in my luggage but not now since it's available here). Not quite sure what exactly it is (altho' I beleive it's liquified parrafin) as I don't happen to have a bottle here in Juan Dolio at present but it does burn quite cleanly (if the wick is adjusted & trimmed properly in your lamp). Dump some in a ceramic dish and it burns blue with no smoke.
You might want to give it a try....... :glasses:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dawnwil said:

Or a prescription for frazzled nerves? Am I to place the candles, a hundred or so, around a jacuzzi bathtub? OR WHAT?

move on please...

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dawnwil said:

You my dear, are young in this world. ;) Nerves.. never! Candles do it for the jacuzzi, and for the oil burner... good clean flame, no ritual, or ritual if you want.

More practical, walk down Cabarete beach one evening, there is a restaurant that serves fondue. Check out their 'oil' burners... plain white candles little jiddisher plain white candles.

Scorpio

Feb 10, 2005
Zippo

I hope i can help you Dawnhil

It could be a little expensive but try the Zippo lighter fuel.They sell it here in the supermarkets and some ferreterias.
I do not have to warn you to be very carefull with such kind of experiences.
That zippo fuel is a very clean fuel but be aware also very inflamable an it leaves some nasty burningspots behind on your skin if you spill it:hurt:
Depending on the model :
First put in the wick then fill up the can with cottonwool and then the fuel
If it is a model with the big hole in the middle and aside the adjustingholes then forget the wick.
Good luck

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Alberta's just north of Montana...

trina said:
I'm coming down to Sosua on April 6. I don't know if we still sell Everclear in Alberta (it's called "Everclear" here, at least in Saskatchewan, where I grew up). If we don't sell Everclear here, what can I bring for you?

... They're both wild western type places, so maybe it's worth a shot! But just a little shot. :) I was reading about the stuff thanks to jlw919's message and oh boy, is it potent.

Trina, if you happen to be in a liquor store, I'd be thrilled if you checked.

We will get together and toast our mutual birthdays anyway, right? Rocky's is always a good place to meet up. Let me know when. I'll keep an eye open on DR1 for your plans.

I found out tonight that Everclear is available in Colorado and Nevada. I know someone from Montana who lives here. No one he knows from Big Sky Country is on the way to the DR soon, but his brother is a chemist, so he suggested we ask how one might distill Isopropyl alcohol. hee.

Thanks again for such a sweet offer. If that firewater doesn't burn for some reason, I can always make Kahlua. Ought to be wonderful with Dominican coffee.

dawn

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I'm not sure why you watered down the 151 rum. It will burn (although I'm not sure if it's safe) if it isn't watered down.

Another suggestion would be to go to a major hotel (or caterer) and find out what they use to keep their warming trays hot. I'm sure you can convince them to sell you some of it. I'm suprised you can't buy it in the larger ferreter?as.

As a last resort if someone is in the Boca Chica area, there is a fondue resturant on Duarte.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
thanks for ideas!

Keith-- I'm now building a list of Everclear everready states. This is great. Eventually someone will bring me a bottle.

MommC & Squat-- boy, I wish that stuff worked. I tried it when I realized I couldn't just pop into a hardware store and buy a litre of antifreeze/methylated something-or-other. It burns, but throws off a terrible black smoke. Perhaps it's the way this little burner is constructed, but I found the oil burners are not clean burning either. I used them a lot around election time last year. :)

jlw910-- thanks for that great link! I never expected to find an online liquor store, but now I know I can always plan to send a bottle of Everclear to one of several people coming and going from here. It got me thinking about homemade liquers again... might be fun to give it a try again.

Chris-- I never need much of an excuse to walk Cabarete beach at night. Thanks! I'm going to check those out, maybe even bring along my little burner and see what happens. Will let you know.

Big hugs for the help gang!

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
hmm... zippo lighter fuel

Scorpio said:
I hope i can help you Dawnhil

It could be a little expensive but try the Zippo lighter fuel.They sell it here in the supermarkets and some ferreterias.
I do not have to warn you to be very carefull with such kind of experiences.
That zippo fuel is a very clean fuel but be aware also very inflamable an it leaves some nasty burningspots behind on your skin if you spill it:hurt:
Depending on the model :
First put in the wick then fill up the can with cottonwool and then the fuel
If it is a model with the big hole in the middle and aside the adjustingholes then forget the wick.
Good luck

Scorpio, this is a new one on me.

I will try it, although I'm a ttle nervous about the idea. My burner is plastic and I'm not sure cottonwool is necessary or beneficial to this one; I've never seen it used this way... I'll do what I did with the turpentine-- experiment in the bathtub and stand back after lighting. :)

This burner is also quite different from the oil lamps... the wick is tightly placed through the metal neck of the plastic bottle.

Thanks for the suggestion; I will let you know if it works!

dawnwil

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
No, no, I didn't water it down

rellosk said:
I'm not sure why you watered down the 151 rum. It will burn (although I'm not sure if it's safe) if it isn't watered down.

Another suggestion would be to go to a major hotel (or caterer) and find out what they use to keep their warming trays hot. I'm sure you can convince them to sell you some of it. I'm suprised you can't buy it in the larger ferreter?as.

As a last resort if someone is in the Boca Chica area, there is a fondue resturant on Duarte.

Rellosk, I bought the cheapest 151 rum I could find, given that I was going to burn it, not drink it. Everyone had told me it would burn, but it didn't. So I wondered if it really were 151 proof. I recently spoke to someone who said that moto conchos sometimes use it to fuel their machines. Only in the DR, I bet: running a vehicle on rum. Hey! Maybe that's why some of them drive so crazy?? It's not the driver, but the bike that's drunk. heh.

Also, it appears that restaurants are using that gel fondue fuel, rather than the liquid version. The liquid version would light my burner.

I guess I'll start carrying it around to restaurants, and say to the waiters, 'baby would you light my fire?'

thanks for the suggestions. If I ever do find a restaurant with liquid fuel, I will definitely not leave until I get my fuel.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
dawnwil said:
I recently spoke to someone who said that moto conchos sometimes use it to fuel their machines. Only in the DR, I bet: running a vehicle on rum.
Actually, lots of vehicles in Brazil run on alcohol. May not be rum, but close enough to cacha?a that some Brazilians reportedly have tried drinking from the fuel pump... :confused:

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Found this searching Google for ...'Everclear'

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/71
Everclear is a brand of pure grain alcohol, available in 190 proof (95%) and a less common 151 proof (75.5%) variant. It is produced by the David Sherman Corporation.

Because of its strength it is illegal in many US states, and probably not available outside USA (at least not the 190 proof variant). If Everclear is not sold where you live, plain vodka can be used instead (Everclear is basically a strong form of vodka).

Warning: Can be lethal when used as shots or substituted for water in Jello shooters.

Calmclam (new poster - but have been lurking in the background for awhile!)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
No problem, I'll check this week and get back to you. I had a bad experience with Everclear once...at least, I'm told I did! ;-)

Looking forward to meeting you! I'll be there from April 6-20, and will PM you closer to the time. Rocky's or Eddy's is great for me, either one.

dawnwil said:
... They're both wild western type places, so maybe it's worth a shot! But just a little shot. :) I was reading about the stuff thanks to jlw919's message and oh boy, is it potent.

Trina, if you happen to be in a liquor store, I'd be thrilled if you checked.

We will get together and toast our mutual birthdays anyway, right? Rocky's is always a good place to meet up. Let me know when. I'll keep an eye open on DR1 for your plans.

I found out tonight that Everclear is available in Colorado and Nevada. I know someone from Montana who lives here. No one he knows from Big Sky Country is on the way to the DR soon, but his brother is a chemist, so he suggested we ask how one might distill Isopropyl alcohol. hee.

Thanks again for such a sweet offer. If that firewater doesn't burn for some reason, I can always make Kahlua. Ought to be wonderful with Dominican coffee.

dawn

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
hi Dawn,

i wouldn't bother with the 151 proof booze. that is only 75% alcohol. you would have to heat the alcohol to burn it. very dangerous. the higher test stuff might work.

have you tried any paint thinners or solvents? most of the better ones are methylated spirits.

ideally, you should get a propane burner of some type. they are clean and you can get the fuel there. there's one at this site, for example, for under $25. search on bunsen burners.

http://sargentwelch.com

you might even find some kerosene burners that you can use with diesel fuel that is available locally.