Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Robert, a long sad tale

I need help. Nothing burns in my little alcohol burner/flameador.

I visited Tanya's the other day because she serves fondues on Fri & Sat, and she told me she had to change all her burners to the gel type because she couldn't find the liquid fuel. At one time she smuggled it in from Switzerland, but since 9-11 that option no longer exists.

Previously...

I tried 151 proof rum last year, but no flame. Several people, DR1ers even, advised me that this would be foolproof. Watered down, I thought at the time.

I tried turpentine, on advice of Coastal's right-hand man, because someone else had needed a 'clean-burning' flame, and it burned for her. Not for me.

Before the 151 rum debacle, I had the audacity to ask Coastal if they sold gas line antifreeze, which is another name for Methyl hydrate. Desperation, I guess.

I tried Methylated alchohol here, from a ferreteria in Charamicos, but it didn't work, to my surprise. I wonder if it was watered down?

I tried Isopropyl alcohol, but it isn't pure enough... I need 95%, and the pharmacy supplier in Santiago sells 70%. Or... was it watered down?

Suddenly, last week, I had the brilliant idea to ask... beg ... proposition... someone, anyone, to bring in their baggage that "Everclear" (in US) or "Alcool" (in Canada), that high proof pure alcohol it was once fashionable to use for homemade kahlua.

btw, the science lab supplier I called in Montana told me it was called "Everclear" in the US. I thought to ask the US name after you advised me about the stupid Canadian words for things. Can you imagine that in Canada we call it such a remarkably ridiculous word like 'Alcool'. heh

Anyway, Camden Tom & Mary told me they aren't allowed to sell the stuff in their state. Same with NY. 9-11 again. I guess Montana is behind the times.

I know no one traveling here from Montana anytime soon.

Was this tale long and sad enough for you?

HELP!

:) Dawn

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Candles, dawny, candles, pure white ordinary no-scented candles. Called vela or las velas... you will need a few...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default huh?

Is this some kind of satanic ritual, Chris?

Or a prescription for frazzled nerves? Am I to place the candles, a hundred or so, around a jacuzzi bathtub? OR WHAT?

I NEED A FUEL THAT BURNS CLEAN. THAT IS ALL.

PS My nerves aren't frazzled. Not one little bit.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm coming down to Sosua on April 6. I don't know if we still sell Everclear in Alberta (it's called "Everclear" here, at least in Saskatchewan, where I grew up). If we don't sell Everclear here, what can I bring for you?

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Find someone coming down from Virginia. I believe Everclear is still sold here.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

-How about "gas de lampara" ? that's the stuff people here put in oil-lamps (lampara de gas). You just go to your local ferreteria and ask for "una botellita de gas para mi lampara"...
    this is what most people would use whenever there's a black-out (quite often...)

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My thought also!

I buy "Lamp fuel" for my oil lamps at the "Cuesta" in Plaza Central that comes from the US or Canada (yes many years ago I used to "smuggle it in" in my luggage but not now since it's available here). Not quite sure what exactly it is (altho' I beleive it's liquified parrafin) as I don't happen to have a bottle here in Juan Dolio at present but it does burn quite cleanly (if the wick is adjusted & trimmed properly in your lamp). Dump some in a ceramic dish and it burns blue with no smoke.
    You might want to give it a try.......

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Everclear on the web

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dawnwil

Or a prescription for frazzled nerves? Am I to place the candles, a hundred or so, around a jacuzzi bathtub? OR WHAT?

move on please...
    Last edited by Chris; 03-28-2005 at 09:12 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dawnwil

You my dear, are young in this world. Nerves.. never! Candles do it for the jacuzzi, and for the oil burner... good clean flame, no ritual, or ritual if you want.

More practical, walk down Cabarete beach one evening, there is a restaurant that serves fondue. Check out their 'oil' burners... plain white candles little jiddisher plain white candles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast