Authorization for a minor to travel without Parents

bronkrdr45

Sep 17, 2004
Hi. I posted this same message on Debbie's Dominican board. Thought I would see what input I could get here as well.

The last two vacations with our children were in Mexico. Our daughter (now 18) has always taken a friend and I had all of the required documents notorized by the parents.

This year we are heading to LaRomana and I just found out the friend she is taking this year will not be 18 till next year. So....after looking up the info it seems documentation for minors traveling with out parents must be in Spanish AND notorized before a Dominican Notary. I found an email address to a consulate in/near Philadelphia, and am awaiting information. I am certain the parents of this girl are NOT going to want to travel 3 to 5 hours to get a document notarized. (Another poster replied to me that it she found out it could be sent to the consulate and they would do this for $75!) = Wow...what a money maker!!! :cross-eye
I was just wondering if anyone else - taking friends of their children might have some information to share on this subject.

I have also read that Dominican immigratioin authorities have recently begun restricting the ability of children to depart the country with only a birth certificate.

Again...any experience about this or input from anyone from this board?

Thanks! - Kathy D.

bronkrdr45

Sep 17, 2004
bronkrdr45 said:
Hi. I posted this same message on Debbie's Dominican board. Thought I would see what input I could get here as well.

The last two vacations with our children were in Mexico. Our daughter (now 18) has always taken a friend and I had all of the required documents notorized by the parents.

This year we are heading to LaRomana and I just found out the friend she is taking this year will not be 18 till next year. So....after looking up the info it seems documentation for minors traveling with out parents must be in Spanish AND notorized before a Dominican Notary. I found an email address to a consulate in/near Philadelphia, and am awaiting information. I am certain the parents of this girl are NOT going to want to travel 3 to 5 hours to get a document notarized. (Another poster replied to me that it she found out it could be sent to the consulate and they would do this for $75!) = Wow...what a money maker!!! :cross-eye
I was just wondering if anyone else - taking friends of their children might have some information to share on this subject.

I have also read that Dominican immigratioin authorities have recently begun restricting the ability of children to depart the country with only a birth certificate.

Again...any experience about this or input from anyone from this board?

Thanks! - Kathy D.

I'm answering my own post....I put this on a few other posts as well:
OK....I just received this email from the Dominican Republic Tourist Board!!!!!....and I am printing it and taking it with us !

Good morning Kathy,

Like I said before ?just to keep it in the safe side?, bring a NOTARIZED LETTER from the parents, but she is a grown up, therefore she just need a consent letter.

"One office stated that if the child was over 14, a legalization form from the consulate of the Dominican is NOT required - we would just need the usual Birth Certificate with raised seal, photo I.D. and a Notarized (within the states)Travel Authorization from her parents." THIS IS CORRECT!
Hope this information is good enough.

Wishing you a nice vacation,

Mercedes

Mercedes G. Perello
SE Regional Director
Dominican Republic Tourist Board
248 NW 42nd Ave. St. 100
Miami, FL, 33126
PH: 305-444-4592; FAX: 305-444-4845
E-mail: mperello@sectur.gov.do; www.dominicana.com.do