The next 10 years

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
In the past few years that I have been traveling to the Dominican Republic I have seen many changes in this Island nation. A fluctuating Peso, anywhere from 19RDP to 50RDP for 1USD, increased crime, government corruption, deteriorating infrastructure, a collapse of the health care system, as well as many other positive and negative issues that will guide the future of the DR.

What I would like to know is what you think the next 10 years will hold? What positive and negative forces do you think will affect the standard of living for the common Dominican citizen? If the DR was a stock is it time to buy, sell or hold?

Chuckuindy

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The 10 year projection is a roller coaster ride

First and foremost any positive projections for how the DR will be economically in 10 years depends greatly on who is in power in my opinion.

*If current conditions persist I think the rich will get richer and the poor if they can be any more poor well enough said... In ten years it would nice to see a narrower gap between the "rich" and the "poor".

*I question if the Dominican peso will still be used as currency. Dollarization??? Other Latin American countries in the past five years have been forced to change currency i.e. Ecuador & El Salvador.

*If corruption continues to plague Dominican governments then the future is grim.

*I mentioned this before in a previous thread. I think the DR and all Latin American countries have to change their way of thinking if they stand a chance to advance economically or least hold ground in the world markets. Globalization has created a big(ger) gap (imo) between developed nations and developing nations.The gap will widen in years to come.

* The education system CAN NOT continue the way it is. It's really a shame that those who rely on the public education system are actually "victims" of one of the more important institutions if not the most important institution. An educated mass has a direct correlation with growth and the future leaders of the country.

* I think there is potential for economic growth as always but if it's the three steps forward and two backward ideology then that really isn't progress at all. I refer specifically to the accumulation of debt. The government needs to stop borrowing money that it can't pay back or partially pay back at the cost of the public. The IMF and like organizations (i.e the World Bank) represent more debt in my opinion although they are a current means of keeping the country afloat.

In 10 years if the country has an economic forecast comparable to the Fern?ndez administration of 1996-2000 then that would be an accomplishment.

BTW this is not a negative outlook, some may see it as such however, I have always called a spade a spade.

-Lesley D-

Last edited:

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
sorry chuck if this is reply does not pertain to your origional thread, but i had to mention it bc it was the first thing that came to my mind that really bothers me and my husband....lesley is so right when she said

The education system CAN NOT continue the way it is. It's really a shame that those who rely on the public education system are actually "victims" of one the more important institutions if not the most important institution. An educated mass has a direct correlation with growth and the future leaders of the country.

My personal example is that my husbands niece, who is 5 yrs old and has been going to school for i think 3 yrs now, had been coming home with absolutely nothing written in her notebook (now i don't quite understand the DR education system quite fully yet, but apparently they must not have books bc the teacher must go around to each and every students notebook and write with a pen, lets say the vowels, and they are to write them 20 times or something.) so for a few weeks we noticed her notebook blank. (this was in jan-feb of this yr) we would ask her what she did in school today and she would say nothing.....(this is a "private" school and her mother has to pay "dues" every month)....not to mention the fact that she is 5 1/2 now, and does not know her colors, does not know how to count past 10 in spanish, does not know her letters or vowels, and could not correctly trace and copy letters of the alphabet that we were helping her learn....now me, an american teacher myself, was completely surprised at this! again it is all new to me so maybe that is why. but i asked my husband why she didn't know her colors by now, or numbers etc and he had no clue. this is what prompted him to check her notebook and what ended up happing is that my husband told her not to go to school anymore.....now i don't know if that is a good thing either, but like he said, why have her mom pay money if she is learning ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! when i was there i would ask her what she did in school today and all she would tell me is that she played....never said she learned a color, or a new word,vowel...nothing......so, your right...this so called "education system" seems to be not working...but then again maybe its always been like this?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
My country for richer or poorer.

The future of our nation depends on four things:

1- The educational system needs to be greatly expanded and improved.
Schools,from kindergarten to college, HAS to be entirely subsidiced by the government. We MUST make this, above all, our #1 priority. "knowledge is power"!

2-Industry and commerce is in dire need of a big boost: All obstacles that hinder capital investments (taxes, idiosincratic laws, etc.) should be completely eliminated....Let's look at what the Chinese did and emulate!... More jobs=more money=progress=happiness!

3-Our infrastructure needs further improving: We Have to find a solution for the frequent black outs and more roads and sea ports need to be built or improved..Exports=lots of Euros & Dollars!

4-Army,Air force,Navy have to ,with one felt swoop, be completely abolished!... Our nation CAN NOT continue to fee these parasites! We don't need them for ANY reason! The police, on the other hand, will have to be overhauled. There are too many high-ranking idiots that don't know the law, much less how to enforce it fairly..... With the BILLIONS saved NOT paying the generals, we can afford funding all of the above! Gracias!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Chicken or the egg type questions...

chuckuindy said:
What I would like to know is what you think the next 10 years will hold? What positive and negative forces do you think will affect the standard of living for the common Dominican citizen?
Chuckuindy

There needs to be change but who will be the impetus? Does the government need to prioritize and start providing real services to educate the population?

Or do the masses have to take the “bull by the horns” and instill in their children the values of hard work, not looking for the easy way out, and setting of goals in order to advance Dominican society.

I for one think positive change must start with the people – one person at a time, one family at a time, one town at a time, etc. It is more difficult to steal from a population that bands together, educates itself, controls its own destiny and demands change.

Pa’lante.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Don Juan said:
The future of our nation depends on four things:

1- The educational system needs to be greatly expanded and improved.
Schools,from kindergarten to college, HAS to be entirely subsidiced by the government. We MUST make this, above all, our #1 priority. "knowledge is power"!

2-Industry and commerce is in dire need of a big boost: All obstacles that hinder capital investments (taxes, idiosincratic laws, etc.) should be completely eliminated....Let's look at what the Chinese did and emulate!... More jobs=more money=progress=happiness!

3-Our infrastructure needs further improving: We Have to find a solution for the frequent black outs and more roads and sea ports need to be built or improved..Exports=lots of Euros & Dollars!

4-Army,Air force,Navy have to ,with one felt swoop, be completely abolished!... Our nation CAN NOT continue to fee these parasites! We don't need them for ANY reason! The police, on the other hand, will have to be overhauled. There are too many high-ranking idiots that don't know the law, much less how to enforce it fairly..... With the BILLIONS saved NOT paying the generals, we can afford funding all of the above! Gracias!

If the Army,Air Force,and Navy are abolished, crime would get worse and our borders would be open for anyone to come in (as if its not like that already) .This would not only jepordize national security ,but also increase drug traficking(e.g Costa Rica) and and human smuggling already going on there .There would be a state of lawlessness , it would also gove any fool the right to gather up his own army and do a goverment throwover(E.G haiti),hence creating instability , which leads to a hurt economy.No one would stop the yoleros from leaving the country or saving them ( they do stop people and they also have saved many).Are the Defense departments perfect? NO , but it doesnt have to lead to their abolishment . The goverment must do a thorough clean up of the armed forces and start anew.However,I do beleive less money should be put toward thier funds(corruption and misuse eat up alot of it) and spent more on education.Actually , Education should be the number one priority ,but security cannot be overlooked.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes, I know, this is long, but read it, before you'll know it you will be done...

in order for any country to become richer than it currently is, all it needs is to keep its economy growing at least around 2% per year average, if we were to copy the US or most Western Europe countries, because that's how they did it.

Anyhow, we do live in an age when certain countries have gone from rags to riches in less than one generation (ie. Singapore, Malaysia, Israel, etc etc etc). The DR was on such path during the 1996-2000 time period when our economy grew at an average 7% per year (that is phenomenal since it was well above the global average) and in 1998 before Hurricane Georges slammed into our shores, the DR was actually the fastest growing economy in the world, beating china by half a percentage point! Notice, at 7% economic growth per year the country would have doubled its national wealth every 10 years or so. Not a bad deal.

During that time period most people in the country, especially the denizens of Santo Domingo, witnessed the sudden mushrooming of businesses, money supply, investment, etc etc etc. The country had reached a level of economic prosperity and growth not seen for a very long while. Given this recent history of economic success the DR experienced, its more than clear that we as a country are capable of achieving greatness, if we truly want to.

What happened? Well, Hipolito came into power and saw all that extra cash (the DR government had a surplus when he came to power) and he spend, spend, borrow, borrow, borrow, two months into his administration people the world over were concerned about the erractic spending habits of these low lifes. Then, the US economy (and the rest of the world) slowed down and that affected the DR, it was exacerbated by Hipolito's inability to take fiscal responsibility.

Then, 9-11 comes and Osama gave the DR and the rest of the world a not so nice present by knocking our number one industry (ie. Tourism) to the edge of collapse with only Punta Cana remaining rather strong. Puerto Plata almost died and the Costa Caribe (Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana) died completely, just recently being revived!

Then, the American Airlines Airbus airplane chock full of Dominicans and tourist crashed in New York City two months after 9-11. That scared the heck of many potential tourist and Dominican visitors who had planned to visit the DR in that time period, despite this the NYC-Santo Domingo route remained as the only American Airlines route that was actually creating a profit for them!

During all this time, Hipolito's clan kept spending, spending, spending, borrowing, borrowing, borrowing. Debt per GDP kept climbing from around 16% of GDP when Leonel left to over 50% of GDP. Then, Hipolito's clan racked up a credit card debt of millions of dollars, credit cards under the Baninter bank. They failed to pay back their debt and voila, the next thing we know is that the country's strongest, largest, and most dynamic bank collapsed over night! Along with them, went two other major banks down the drain.

Hipolito finally realized that he needed to act accordingly, but he decided to use whatever amount of cash available to the government to cover the losses of a handful of depositor. What happened next was simple economics in action. Public Savings (Government reserves) were deepleted to severe levels caused the peso to lose its value over night. The collapse of the banks further cause people to lose faith in the peso, causing the peso to slide even further. The sliding peso caused all imported goods and services cost to skyrocket, and that cost was past to consumers initiating hyperinflation. Hyperinflation quickly ate away the purchasing power of the Dominican middle classes and lower classes, while the upper classes quickly moved their liquid assets into other forms of assets (ie. real estate, convert pesos to dollars, move money out of the country, etc), this further exacerbated the shortage of dollars in the economy and the money supply further causing the peso to slide and slide and slide and slide. After the DR managed to pull 2 million people out of poverty and into the middle class during the entire 1990 decade, in the past 2 years alone, Hipolito's policies manage to send 1 million of them back into poverty. What took years to create, was destroyed in no time.

To finish, Leonel comes back and finds a country that he left in perfect shape considering how the rest of Latin America was, he found the DR in the worst shape of any country in this hemisphere, only Haiti had it worst and not by much difference!

Leonel has put some more fiscal responsibility into the management of government finances, this and his track record of maintaining economic growth calmed the nerves of many people. It did not took long after Leonel took power for the peso to gain its value, for macroeconomic stability to be achieved, for hyperinflation to end, and for the roller coaster ride to finally end. Today, we stand with an economy that grew by 2% last year (almost all of that growth took place from August 2004 to December 2004, in other words, since Leonel took power. If Leonel would had been ruling since January 2004, the country might had grown by 4% instead of 2%, but 2% is a miracle considering what we went through and its right on target for healthy economic growth over the long term).

The economy is correcting itself, everything is falling in place. Foreign Investment has increased dramatically, inflation is under control and at tolerable levels, the economy is growing and its expected to finish this year well above 2% economic growth, the peso has stabilized, money supply is growing, government reserves (ie. Public Savings) have grown dramatically, almost fully recovered - truly phenomenal, and many of the upper classes are bringing back part of the assets they moved out of the country in order to protect themselves from the crisis. The economy today is in a position almost surreal since most countries that go through the roller coaster ride we have gone through in the last couple of years usually take over 10 years to fully recover. Here we are, not even one year into Leonel's term and the economy has turned around 180 degrees from where it was this time last year. Truly phenomenal.

What do we need to do to maintain our economic growth during the next 10 years is the following:

1. Maintain control over inflation. By doing this, real income growth will not be eaten away and the average Dominican will have more money to buy goods and services, causing consumption to increase, cuasing the economy to propell itself into growth beyond what its doing right now.

2. Maintain macroeconomic stability. Macroeconomic is a fancy economic word for the entire economy. If the entire economy is stable, obviously things will continue to improve.

3. Maintain fiscal responsibility. To do this, the government just needs to keep increasing its reserves at the phenomenal rate it has been doing since Leonel came back, keep the debt load from increasing too much too fast, and lower corruption levels.

4. Increase productivity of the country and this is done through implementing new technology that enables people to do more using less time and effort, thus they can be much more productive. The much more productive a person is, the much more valuable that person becomes and the much more money will be paid (all other things constant) for that person's labor.

Productivity can also be increased through education, but as noted above, new technologies, more efficient ways of doing things, better usuage of time, etc can also increase productivity without having to focus too much on education. If the money for education is there, then it should be used for such, if not, it's better to focus on introducing more efficient ways of doing things so the Dominican workforce can become much more productive.

5. Solving the energy problem would be a God send. This will greatly lower the cost of doing business and will increase the efficiency of the economy as a whole.

6. Investment in the main infrastructural projects. This includes building and/or maintaining the country's seaports, airports, main highways, etc in top notch conditions in order to maintain a stable and fastest flow of goods and services throughout the nation, causing the economy to become even more efficient, but its even more important for the investment to be focused within the economic core of the country (Santo Domingo, the Santiago area, and the major tourist zones) since those areas account for 90% of the entire economy of the country.

7. Other factors which we have achieved and must maintain for economic success over the next 10 years include: Political stability, preferential trade agreements with major international markets, diversification of trading partners, encourage more foreign investment, and help (notice, help, not solve) in Haiti's problems since the threat of massive migration of impoverished people into any country, let alone the DR, can always dwarf whatever economic gains the country will receive during that time period.

Having said all of this, its important to keep in mind that the Dominican Republic is still the Caribbean's and Central America's largest economy, we are the third largest trading partner of the US in the Western Hemisphere (only Mexico and Canada trade more with the US), we have tremendous preferential trade agreements with the US and Europe and Latin America, we still have the largest middle class and upper class in numbers than any other country in the Caribbean/Central American region, our middle class has grown dramatically during the 1990s and despite its decline in the past 4 years, there are signs of middle class growth once again.

Our country has only been through a rough time, but this is not the end. We have the potential to make it big, we have shown the world and our selves that we are capable of doing so, all we need to do now is get to work and make sure that we learn from this most heartbreaking mistake we ever took of electing Hipolito (an agronomer who should had stayed in the fields planting Tobacco rather than planting a disaster) and keep our over all belief in the progress of the country.

Being positive also helps and trying to fix what has gone bad is an extra plus!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
I had used a previous source to make that claim.

I checked in newer source and found that the DR is the 6th largest trading partner of the US in the Western Hemisphere. Still impressive.

Source:

http://buyusainfo.net/docs/x_8400851.pdf

I've been reading US trade stats with Latin America & the Caribbean for 26 years. I can't recall any year that the DR replaced Brazil as #3 trading partner in the Western Hemisphere. What was your "previous source"?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keith R said:
I've been reading US trade stats with Latin America & the Caribbean for 26 years. I can't recall any year that the DR replaced Brazil as #3 trading partner in the Western Hemisphere. What was your "previous source"?
It was a hardcopy report I got my hands on. The report was created by the US Chamber of Commerce and was intended to be distributed to American companies with a potential to export into the DR.

Of course, I got my copy in order to keep on top of potential competition coming from, ahem, the cold north!

My copy I got from the US Chamber of Commerce office here in Santo Domingo.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
It was a hardcopy report I got my hands on. The report was created by the US Chamber of Commerce and was intended to be distributed to American companies with a potential to export into the DR.

Of course, I got my copy in order to keep on top of potential competition coming from, ahem, the cold north!

My copy I got from the US Chamber of Commerce office here in Santo Domingo.
Nals, for a guy with an economics degree, you should have known, or at least guessed, that Brazilian trade flows with the US dwarf those of the DR, no matter what Amcham may or may not say. I'm disappointed. :tired:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Castro & Cuba

Nal0whs said:
Leonel has put some more fiscal responsibility into the management of government finances, this and his track record of maintaining economic growth calmed the nerves of many people.

I have met Leonel twice and believe that he is trying to run the country better than Hipolito. There however are some skeletons in his closet that will haunt him. First and foremost is his relationship with Castro. It is no secret that they have close political and financial ties. This rubs the US the wrong way.

It is also well knowen that Leonel has sold his soul to wealthy American business interests who have been and continue to rape the DR. I wonder how many Dominicans remember when he was driving a 6 year old BMW and lived in a small 3 bedroom house. Certainly not his lifestyle now.

Chuckuindy

Last edited:

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
chuckuindy said:
I have met Leonel twice and believe that he is trying to run the country better than Hipolito. There however their some skeletons in his closet that will haunt him. First and foremost is his relationship with Castro. It is no secret that they have close political and financial ties. This rubs the US the wrong way.

It is also well knowen that Leonel has sold his sole to wealthy American business interests who have been and continue to rape the DR. I wonder how many Dominicans remember when he was driving a 6 year old BMW and lived in a small 3 bedroom house. Certainly not his lifestyle now.

Chuckuindy

I thought it was a VW cepillo (old beetle), but I could be wrong...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have met Leonel twice and believe that he is trying to run the country better than Hipolito.
There is no question about this, right on target. Leonel has more interest in running the country right, more so than most other politicians available right now.

There however are some skeletons in his closet that will haunt him. First and foremost is his relationship with Castro. It is no secret that they have close political and financial ties. This rubs the US the wrong way.
Most Latin American countries and European countries conduct business with Cuba, there is no secret there.

However, I'm not too comfortable with Leonel's political ties to Castro, but as long that he does not goes the Chavez route, we should be fine.

It is also well knowen that Leonel has sold his soul to wealthy American business interests who have been and continue to rape the DR.
Just because he opened the country to the global economy does not mean he sold his sold to anybody. When the country opened its economy, that's when the boom times rolled.

The fact is that American companies hold the DR economy by a shoe string, simply because they have tremendous power and influence here due to their advantages they receive both, from the opening of the DR market and from tax incentive and subsidies many American companies receive from the US government for them to outsource their jobs out of US and to penetrate foreign markets, DR included.

I wonder how many Dominicans remember when he was driving a 6 year old BMW and lived in a small 3 bedroom house. Certainly not his lifestyle now.
Of course not! What politician in the world ends up being at the same level or worst than when the started? I sure don't know of any and nobody is denying corruption.

Of course its there, corruption exist. However, it tends to be lower than in most other administrations that have run this country.

Remember Buenaventura or Santana, those people really gained economically everytime they took control of the country, but the country either stalled or declined during their rule.

Hipolito followed their path also. Under Leonel, sure his lifestyle becomes a bit more luxurious, but the country progresses. This was proven during his first administration and so far, its being proven as we speak.

I say, as long that the country progress is not undermined or destroyed, let the politicians play politics. However, once they start to destroy the country's future, well now we have a problem.

For now and based on Leonel's record, he's the best thing to happen to this country. Any other politician would have run the DR to the ground. Leonel is not only running the DR, but the DR is starting to move up again. Look, we have a growing economy. As of now, it keeps growing faster and faster, just proves this guy knows what to do to make an economy turn for the better. I'm positively sure that by the time his administration ends, the DR is going to be in a much better position that it is today. Heck, the DR is in a much better position today than it was this time last year and all this change came after Leonel took control.

As long that the overall well being of the country's economy is not in jeopardy, let the politicians play politics. That's better than having them impose regulation after regulation after regulation, don't you think.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Oh Please

IMHO there are two things that until fixed will keep the DR a "developing country" are lack of quality education, and corruption! It isn?t rocket science, simply common sense, I hate to use this analogy but what do you think made McDonalds what it is today? It isn?t because of their gourmet dining, it?s because of the fact that you can go into any McDonalds world wide and you know what to expect. This analogy has nothing to do with food, but it has everything to do with what to expect. People vacationing, relocating to, investing in the DR have no idea what to expect. Here in the US if you get stopped for speeding the amount of the fine is fixed, in the DR the amount of the fine depends upon how much gold you are wearing, etc. And none of it makes its way into the government coffers!

Don?t get me wrong, I love the DR but in all my travels it?s the only place I?ve been robbed by a bank, and had things stolen from my luggage.

As for the public schools, they are nothing more than large day care centers. The children simply go there to meet up with their friends and play!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
IMHO there are two things that until fixed will keep the DR a "developing country" are lack of quality education, and corruption! It isn?t rocket science, simply common sense, I hate to use this analogy but what do you think made McDonalds what it is today? It isn?t because of their gourmet dining, it?s because of the fact that you can go into any McDonalds world wide and you know what to expect. This analogy has nothing to do with food, but it has everything to do with what to expect. People vacationing, relocating to, investing in the DR have no idea what to expect. Here in the US if you get stopped for speeding the amount of the fine is fixed, in the DR the amount of the fine depends upon how much gold you are wearing, etc.
In Finland, a speeding ticket amount depends on your personal income and wealth. I don't hear them complaining yet.

And, how come uneducated Mexicans and Dominicans are able to go to the US, not increase their educational aspect and still become much more productive than their counterpart back in their home countries?

Um, hint: Technology, technology, technology. Take any Dominican Free Zone worker to an American factory (whichever are left) and from day one, they will be alot more productive than in the DR while maintaining their low education level. Why? Better technology and more efficient ways of doing things are found in American factories than in Dominican one's. More education has little to do with that.

Better example would be car manufacturer. Japanese are able to manufacter cheaper, better, more reliable cars. It has nothing to do with Japanese being better people than Americans, because the same quality remains in Japanese owned car factories in the US! So, why are they much more productive than American manufacturers? Because they have technology AND MUCH MORE EFFICIENT WAYS OF DOING THINGS. Education had nothing to do with it since many manufacturing workers in the US are immigrants who barely have an education beyond the 6th grade and yet, they are many times more productive then they were in their own country with the same low education level!

I'm not saying that more education is not necessary, because it is. But, for the time being, it would be wise to upgrade the technology and become more efficient for the most optimal results given our current circumstances.

Don?t get me wrong, I love the DR but in all my travels it?s the only place I?ve been robbed by a bank, and had things stolen from my luggage.
I had some things stolen from my luggage at JFK, it all depends on personal experiences.

As for the public schools, they are nothing more than large day care centers. The children simply go there to meet up with their friends and play!
Same could be said of failing inner city schools in the USA. Of course, why educated your poor inner city minorities when the third world has so much brain power available by simply giving a visa! It's so much more cheaper that way.

People, look in your own backyards before commenting. The world is a two way street.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I disagree

The only problem with your theory is that factory work in my opinion is not work for anyone who has high aspirations. I think the reason why immigrants i.e. Dominicans, Mexicans whoever work in factories is because their educational level is so low. Therefore, to say that education supersedes technology baffles me because the two don't go hand in hand. Education is one of aspects that is impeding developing nations from advancing. The greater majority of the population can't be functional semi-illiterates. You can have an endless amount of technology but if people can't read, write and spell their future is limited thus the future of the country as well.

LDG

Nal0whs said:
Um, hint: Technology, technology, technology. Take any Dominican Free Zone worker to an American factory (whichever are left) and from day one, they will be alot more productive than in the DR while maintaining their low education level. Why? Better technology and more efficient ways of doing things are found in American factories than in Dominican one's. More education has little to do with that.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
And, how come uneducated Mexicans and Dominicans are able to go to the US, not increase their educational aspect and still become much more productive than their counterpart back in their home countries?

Are the uneducated Mexicans and Dominicans (to use your example) really more productive in the US, or simply better paid? I would submit that the the uneducated ones that do not undergo job training or further education actually tend to get stuck in marginal employment that, while marginal and not necessarily that productive in US terms, still pays better than home.

What happens to many of these immigrants is that they are trained to become more productive, and training is, after all, a form of education. Likewise, as I think some of our FTZ board members will probably testify, technology only goes so far -- it is training that makes Dominican workers in the zone more productive. Technology without proper training is usually poorly utilized technology.

Better example would be car manufacturer. Japanese are able to manufacter cheaper, better, more reliable cars. It has nothing to do with Japanese being better people than Americans, because the same quality remains in Japanese owned car factories in the US! So, why are they much more productive than American manufacturers? Because they have technology AND MUCH MORE EFFICIENT WAYS OF DOING THINGS. Education had nothing to do with it since many manufacturing workers in the US are immigrants who barely have an education beyond the 6th grade and yet, they are many times more productive then they were in their own country with the same low education level!

Oh, give me a break! How many car assembly plants in the world use workers with a 6th grade level education, especially those run by the Japanese! This is a specious argument. You are also conveniently overlooking the highly automated nature of the auto assembly business, and in the case of the Japanese auto assembly line, the highly regimented nature of the assembly line. Also, the Japanese tend to put strong emphasis on continuing training.

I'm not saying that more education is not necessary, because it is. But, for the time being, it would be wise to upgrade the technology and become more efficient for the most optimal results given our current circumstances.

As I suggested above, investing in more and better technology without investing in education and training is simply guaranteeing that the technology will be under- or poorly utilized. Not the way to truly increase productivity.

Again I am disappointed. As someone supposedly trained in economics, you should know better than to downplay the role of education and training in increasing productivity.