Buyers remorse

S

Sadone

Anna Coniglio said:
I think you need to specify what you bought.

More details please.
We had bought a holiday 30 year package from "Royal Holiday" while on vacation in the DR. After purchasing the "package" the next day we went back to the sales centre requesting that contract cancelled and VISA deposit be refunded. We were told that it was too late and that the "wheels" were in motion. We finally spoke to the "Director" of the centre and they returned our VISA slips and provided us with a letter stating that they had refunded us our money, but we want to make sure that the contract is now void and that we will not be further debited from our VISA. We signed the contract on the 22 of March and asked for the cancellation (in writting)on the 23 of March and had emailed Royal Holiday's Head Office our request as well.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
One question. Did they give you a new visa slip crediting your account? Much like returning a shirt to the store and getting a visa credit slip?

If the answer is no then I'm sorry but you now have a thirty year timeshare :cross-eye

Didn't you attend orientation at your hotel? They would have warned you about this

Maybe Mr Guzman can give you better news.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Lechero said:
Cancel the card.

I met another couple that had bought with a credit card and they called while in the DR but the credit card company said, sorry, you bought and signed. Only they can give you a credit. Good luck with that.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm really sorry but that means nothing. You needed to have them "CREDIT" your account.

I live in Canada and sold Real Estate for 14 years. I tried to sell timeshare for one week in the DR and I just couldn't do it because I know it's a ripoff.

That is just my opinion.

Sadone said:
They had given us back the original VISA slips.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sadone said:
We had bought a holiday 30 year package from "Royal Holiday" while on vacation in the DR. After purchasing the "package" the next day we went back to the sales centre requesting that contract cancelled and VISA deposit be refunded. We were told that it was too late and that the "wheels" were in motion. We finally spoke to the "Director" of the centre and they returned our VISA slips and provided us with a letter stating that they had refunded us our money, but we want to make sure that the contract is now void and that we will not be further debited from our VISA. We signed the contract on the 22 of March and asked for the cancellation (in writting)on the 23 of March and had emailed Royal Holiday's Head Office our request as well.

I am intrigued!! If you bought the package as presented, you were doubtless happy with the package at time of purchase - what happened within the next 24 hours to make you change your mind?

If you were NOT happy with the package as presented - why did you buy??

If you have a letter from the Drector of the company stating they have refunded you your money, where is the refunded money? If the company did NOT give you a refund, why accept a letter saying that they had? What did your credit card company say to you when you spoke to them? I trust you notified them & got THEIR advice at the same time as you were getting your refund from the company Royal Holiday's???

Most hotel complexes in the Dominican Republic have Timeshare operations running somewhere in them. You WILL be approached & asked to attend a presentation. Whether you intend listening to the presentation or not, be your own boss throughout & get the questions YOU want answering, answered!! No answers - No signing!! If you go on to the second part of the presentation (when the big guns come in to brow-beat you & offer all sorts of deals) again ask the questions YOU need answering. No answers - No signing!!

If you need time to discuss the deal offered you, take it!! Don't buy the rubbish that this is a deal for NOW & NOW only - they will be making the same offer to someone tomorrow, the day after AND the days ahead for time immamorial, so they WILL accept it tomorrow if you go back!! If they won't ..... don't sign because it is not the deal they originally offered!!

I disagree with Anna that Timeshare is all a ripoff - it isn't. For some people it works very well & suits their holiday planning schemes, however, those people are few & far between & most people accept the offer made because they let themselves be FORCED into a deal - as I feel you have on this ocassion!!

As others here have said ..... Good Luck in your endeavours. Be vigilant & persistent in your quest!! ~ Grahame.

S

Sadone

Anna Coniglio said:
I'm really sorry but that means nothing. You needed to have them "CREDIT" your account.

I live in Canada and sold Real Estate for 14 years. I tried to sell timeshare for one week in the DR and I just couldn't do it because I know it's a ripoff.

That is just my opinion.
You are incorrect, the funds are reserved on our VISA account for thirty days, if the original hard copy is not delivered prior to this date the funds are removed from reserve.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Sadone said:
You are incorrect, the funds are reserved on our VISA account for thirty days, if the original hard copy is not delivered prior to this date the funds are removed from reserve.

You are incorrect. Credit Card companies have not received original hard copies in many years. But, the vendor is required to produce the hard copy if the charge is disputed. If the customer is sure he got back his original hard copy and the charge still appears on his bill he should be OK in disputing the charge.
I sold timeshares for a short period. They are good for some customers and bad for others. Just don't believe everthing you are told. Also, 10% of the salesman's comission is held in a fund by the company for 6 months. This is incase he has credit card charge-backs. The company wants to make sure they have enough of the saleman's money in case they have to make a refund. Charge-backs are quite common for disputed charges. The credit card company would just as soon cancel the charge than get involved in a long dispute of who did what. The worst that happens to the customer is he has a Dominican contract which may be enforced in the Dominican Republic but would be very difficult to enforce in the U.S. If you don't own Dominican property or have money in a Dominican bank you are OK. If they tried to sue you in a U.S. court, they would need a U.S. attorney (who would ant a retainer fee plus part of what he collects), they would have to pay court filing fees and then hope they can prove their case. Usually it isn't practical to try to collect $5,000-$10,000. Most courts would side with the defendant, especially since they had yet to receive any consideration under the contract. If you took an upgrade into a suite after signing the contract you may have a problem.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Timeshares in my opinion are a terrible investment. First thing you have to do is multiply your week purchase price by 52 to figure out how much your "ROOM" was sold for. Then multiply your weekly maintenence by 52 also to see if you can build a new "ROOM" for the money you are paying after 1 year.

They make it so it is appealing but usually there is NO deed and the time period expires after a certain time. At the end the services go way down because they don't have to make anyone happy.

A big percentage of people will have buyers remorse after getting snuckered. They get so tempted with the free room or meal or whatever they use to entice you that the drop their braincells at the door and then for the most part are too embarrassed at how stupid a move they made and live with it.

This is just my conception of course but they do have a sexy salespitch and they mass pitch you and then break you down to individualize you:) Great minds went into that presentation to separate you from your money!

Escott

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Forget it

As soon as the Ink dries you are an owner........Visa, Mastercad will not refund your money.
The only chance you have is if you paid the 40% down with Am/Ex and they will tell you they don't take Am/Ex because Am/Ex will kick the deal.
When you by a Timeshare and want to cancel, the Resort will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to keep you calm untill you go home.
You bought it, you signed for it and your over 21.
Enjoy it or walk away from the 40% you put down.

Gringo

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
time shares good for some

If you are careful and think about your purchase not all time shares are a rip off or bad for you. We currently own three Marriott time shares. Between putting two into points each year and using one for trade, we have traveled all over the world on Marriott(ie Spain, France, Austria, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Newport calif, and other locals) I cannot remember the last time we paid for an airline ticket or a hotel anywhere. If i were to sit down and figure out what we have saved it would be about 50K so far. You need to be careful however in what you buy. Had a friend that bought in Mex and and govt seized the property and now he is out is 10,000$.

Bob K

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Bob K may I asked what country you were sold your time share?

It's just for personal knowledge

Thanks

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Gringo said:
As soon as the Ink dries you are an owner........Visa, Mastercad will not refund your money.
The only chance you have is if you paid the 40% down with Am/Ex and they will tell you they don't take Am/Ex because Am/Ex will kick the deal.
When you by a Timeshare and want to cancel, the Resort will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to keep you calm untill you go home.
You bought it, you signed for it and your over 21.
Enjoy it or walk away from the 40% you put down.

Gringo
The operative words are "as soon as the ink is dry". They are in possesion of the charge slips. The vendor cannot contest a chargback without an original charge slip. Certainly they can enforce the contract, but in practical terms it would be impossible.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting new vocabulary, product of time share remorse?

immamorial means, I guess, a lack of certain female glands? Or perhaps a fixation on said affixtures>?

Then there is the Plusquam Perfecto verb form of the word snookered, ie., snuckered, which means one has been "snooked" at some time in the uncertain past by sexy sales pitches...( Frankly the tie-in between time shares and Centropomus undecimalis, robalo to you heathens, or perhaps 15 little red balls is WAY beyond me....Oh stop it!!

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. :p:p:p

Do the words CAVEAT EMPTOR hold any meaning for these nice folks??

HB :D:D:D

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have had some insight into one of time share selling companies in the DR. They explainde to me that the DR does not recognize any "thinking period". So, to parafrase some who have posted here, once you signed you own it. But as others said, you own the original payment slip and you could contest your payment at yor credit card company. Now why did they not credit you back? Here are my thoughts about it. The selling teams of some companies travel form resort to resort and work with limited technology. They will run a slip at a sale but may not yet have been able to actually cash it. So they may not have been able to refund it and thus returned the slip to you. Also some systems in some countries (Eg. Spain) don't make it as easy on vendors to refund an account, but I don't know if that is the case in the DR.

Call your credit card company.

... J-D.