Telephone service

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
SKYPE is an VoIP service that is totally free computer to computer. Computer to Phone is very cheap. I have just been using it and it is totally kewl.

I also just bought Vonage equipment to bring to the DR. 25 bux a month and you get unlimited calls into the dr and unlimited calls to the states and canada. Neato.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Cannot resist... Now Escott, if you did a search in the archives, you would have known that both these topics have been covered extensively. OK, who do I sound like?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Glad to get your report, Scott. I have the program installed on my computer but haven't been able to try it yet because something wrong with my sound. For anyone wanting to check it out http://www.skype.com/

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have had vonage for a while now and used it while living in the DR. I may add a second line and bring that down to STI. It may be funny to call SDQ to STI over vonage. . . .

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Vonage

Can't beat it. When you travel take it with you. In Puerto Plata calls to the US are free after your 25$ monthly fee. In POP,to call a local DR # it's 10 cents for a house phone or 15 cents to a cell per minute. On the other hand folks in the states can call your Vonage # in the states for their regular US long distance charge. I have a MIA # which is a local call in Dade county. You can get a local US # where ever you want.
I have a business in the Turks & Caicos and take it with me. To call the states from the Turks it's a buck a minute so the free Vonage calls save you a ton. Cable and Wireless the local Turks phone company is going nuts putting up firewalls etc to try and stop the calls.
A call from the Turks to the DR w/ Vonage is 17 cents a minute which beats the normal 75 cents a minute charge plus the line quality is as good or better.
And when I signed up, I got a hat!

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
I have Vonage here in the states and would love to know how to set up a number to get calls from the Dr to the states for free.

Any suggestions welcome.

Willie

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Hey Willie,
I call the US from the DR and it costs me 25 US dollars a month for all the calls and fun I can have:)
Have your girlfriend come to my house and she can call you from there:) Is she pretty? If not AZB's house phone is available!
Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Chris said:
Cannot resist... Now Escott, if you did a search in the archives, you would have known that both these topics have been covered extensively. OK, who do I sound like?
Just call you Rick:)

I have Dawns computer in the States now and I get to use her credits in Euros till I run out of her 10 Euros. How cool is that?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I've been on Skype for about 8 months - find it to give excellent reproduction with calls (computer to computer) to Norway, England, Scotland (once I can get passed the local dialogue), Canada & America. I am trying to get Dar es Salam, Saudi & Mombassa/Nairobi limked up at the moment!! ..... Works well in DR too!! Add me to your list & Skype me PIB/Bok/Ken!! ~ Grahame.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Pib said:
We have been using Skype for over a year now to keep in touch with Bok's family. Excellent service and great price. ;)
Have you tried Vonage? I bought that stuff to take back with me. I am going to hook it up so I can "GET" calls from the states and Canada and even use a regular phone instead of the headset. You can even use wireless phones.

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
Thanks for the offer Escott. I think I want to keep my girlfriend though ;)

I have to check a few things with vonage. This is very interesting.

Willie