Dominicans in Wisconsin

RubioVargas

Mar 29, 2005
Greetings everyone. I just moved to Milwaukee, WI this past January and am just curious to know if Dominicans even exist up here. So far I've only met one Dominican who is here playing baseball.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
RubioVargas said:
Greetings everyone. I just moved to Milwaukee, WI this past January and am just curious to know if Dominicans even exist up here. So far I've only met one Dominican who is here playing baseball.

http://www.nd.edu/~iuplr/cic/ethnic_place_htmlfiles/5_dominican_place.html

The census shows 305 Dominicans living in Wisconsin.

Also see the bottom table of the destination visa holders reported to the US mission in the DR. It shows 209 Dominicans in Wisconsin.

http://www.usemb.gov.do/IRC/Dom_NIVs_table26_29.htm

For sure you will be able to identify them if you get around the cities. I remember living in New York City when doing my masters there and could always spot a Dominican. We have the tint of platano stain in our skin.

RubioVargas

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks for the info Dolores. It's not exactly encouraging to know that we're so few up here in this frozen land, but oh well........

I really miss Florida :(

RubioVargas

Mar 29, 2005
This is probably just a post to myself, since it is likely that no one else in this forum lives anywhere near the midwest.

Anyway, here goes.....para quien le interese........

A dominican band, 4-K-Torce, is going to be performing at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (where I currently attend) in May. A Hispanic student association here at Uw-Milwaukee been giving free Latin dance classes. The band is supposed to play an all-nighter at the conclusion of the classes.
Who knows, maybe a Dominican or two will show up.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
me interesa

When are the dance classes at UW-M?
When will the concert occur?
I live in the Milwaukee area, and my family lived in Santiago in 1968-69. Besides that, I do know a few people who might enjoy the music. My sister might like to know about the dance lessons. Depending on the day/time, ...
Where I work, there are some missionaries from the DR. I know they don't dance, but they still like to listen. And I bet they tap their feet.
My dad, brother and I attended UW-M.
PM me if you want.
mkohn
ps bienvenido a Milwaukee

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Give Dominicans some credit!

RubioVargas said:
This is probably just a post to myself, since it is likely that no one else in this forum lives anywhere near the midwest.

Anyway, here goes.....para quien le interese........

A dominican band, 4-K-Torce, is going to be performing at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (where I currently attend) in May. A Hispanic student association here at Uw-Milwaukee been giving free Latin dance classes. The band is supposed to play an all-nighter at the conclusion of the classes.
Who knows, maybe a Dominican or two will show up.

Who's going to live up here in the ice and snow after living in the DR? Have you looked outside lately? Dreary, cold, gray, everything dead or dormant and this is a big improvement over last month! High cost of living with few decent jobs, not much Spanish spoken except in the Mexican barrios and you know Dominicans have no use for Mexicans.
As far as 4 K Torce (that's 414 the milwaukee area code) is concerned they are a Puerto Rican band who perform regularly in the hispanic community in the Milwaukee and Fond du Lac areas. I've seen them perform 4 or 5 times and they're not too bad but have a very limited bachata song list. Every time I have seen them they open with Simplemente Te Amo followed by two indistinguishable bachatas then Simplemente Te Amo again and then they're done. The all nighter will end up being a half hour. With all the talent in the group and all the great bachatas out there it's a crime they're not better. BTW, I always scan the crowd for Dominicans and have only met one waitress, visiting from La Vega and helping out her house hosts.

RubioVargas

Mar 29, 2005
Golfer said:
Who's going to live up here in the ice and snow after living in the DR? Have you looked outside lately? Dreary, cold, gray, everything dead or dormant and this is a big improvement over last month! High cost of living with few decent jobs, not much Spanish spoken except in the Mexican barrios and you know Dominicans have no use for Mexicans.
As far as 4 K Torce (that's 414 the milwaukee area code) is concerned they are a Puerto Rican band who perform regularly in the hispanic community in the Milwaukee and Fond du Lac areas. I've seen them perform 4 or 5 times and they're not too bad but have a very limited bachata song list. Every time I have seen them they open with Simplemente Te Amo followed by two indistinguishable bachatas then Simplemente Te Amo again and then they're done. The all nighter will end up being a half hour. With all the talent in the group and all the great bachatas out there it's a crime they're not better. BTW, I always scan the crowd for Dominicans and have only met one waitress, visiting from La Vega and helping out her house hosts.

What a wonderful way to describe my new home Golfer! (just kidding).
I was told by one of the instructors at the free dance classes (mentioned earlier) that 4 K Torce were dominican. You're right, I assume, since you've actually seen them perform. Even if they're not all that good it'll still be cool to see a live latin-carribbean band. Not too many of them in Milwaukee OBVIOUSLY.
Scanning the crowd for dominicans? I'd be lucky to find a puerto-rican!

RubioVargas

Mar 29, 2005
Who would've thought!

Oh...and before I forget:

There's a "Dominican High School" here in Milwaukee. Not the type of "Dominican" that we talk about this forum, but nevertheless the same name. I just saw a poster advertising the school the other day and couldn't help but to laugh at the thought.

ChiTownz Finest

Apr 4, 2005
hey,

well not exactly from Wisconsin, but from Chicago, IL. Depending where you live in Wisconsin it can be anywhere from 2-6 hour drive. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in the middle of no where...