Boat paper's taken

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
On Monday, my hysband was asked by the Commodante, or Govt. Service people to hand over our boat papers, for no apparent reason. They however give him a price to get the papers back. I find this very upsetting. Why would they just take his papers. I told him he should'nt have handed them over. He said they would have just looked for another reason, i.e maybe jail. Who knows what else. (This is ALL just to get money from people who come to their beautiful country to enjoy a few weeks or months.) We are thinking about living their some day, but I'll have to give it a long through. :cry:

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where were the papers taken? By the comandante of what port? What sort of boat is it and where is it? Are you cruising on it and living aboard? Had the vessel previously been recorded by the Comandante's office?

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Ken said:
Where were the papers taken? By the comandante of what port? What sort of boat is it and where is it? Are you cruising on it and living aboard? Had the vessel previously been recorded by the Comandante's office?

The boat is in Luperon. It is not at the dock, it is moored at bay. No we are not cruising on it. We are trying to sell it. I have no idea if the yacht has been recorded by the Comandante's office. Do you have to record your boats at their office?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think what Ken is asking is if you cleared customs and did the necessary paperwork to cruise in Dominican Republic waters, or come into a Dominican Republic port? Usually this consists more or less of checking in at customs at the port of entry, having your boat papers for perusal and having all the crew passports stamped. Sometimes you get a cruising permit. I do know in the DR they need the crew listed in triplicate as well as your manifest in triplicate. Did you follow the procedure on coming into a sovereign country's waters?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Try parking your boat in the middle of Miami 's waters

And see how long it takes for the ATF guys to get out there!!.

While I am sure that this is just sort of normal proceedure, you really should check the requirements before dropping anchor.

"Selling it"? Oh yeah, to whom are you going to pay the sales tax? What right do you have to use Dominican waters to conduct your business, make a profit and skeedaddle? Sounds like you still think there are Indians roaming the hills.

Not that you are far off, but there are certain proprieties to be observed.

Nope, so far, I'd say you've been sort of lucky....I can't imagine the USCG ignoring a boat moored in any coastal water for much time.

HB :(:(:(

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:
While I am sure that this is just sort of normal proceedure, you really should check the requirements before dropping anchor.

Yes it is normal procedure but differs from country to country. And yes, one checks the requirements before you go ahead. If you don't, they'll take your boat's papers, your boat and land you in whichever country's jail before you can blink an eye. Worldwide.. not just here.

We should assume that karenssp followed procedure. (The alternative is kinda unthinkable for boaters). Although we've not sailed into Luperon for the past three years, the many times that we did before that, we were treated courteously and with respect. We had no Spanish but had our paperwork ready in Spanish.

Correlating the recent CloggyBoots post where they were told they needed a "permission to repair", (never heard of such a thing!) I'm just thinking that something untoward may be happening.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
karenssp said:
The boat is in Luperon. It is not at the dock, it is moored at bay. No we are not cruising on it. We are trying to sell it. I have no idea if the yacht has been recorded by the Comandante's office. Do you have to record your boats at their office?

Yes, the first thing a boat entering the harbor must do is clear in with Customs, the Comandante, and anybody else they bring along. In fact, the crew is not allowed to leave the vessel and go ashore until the vessel and crew have been properly cleared into the country.

If you just entered the harbor, anchored, went ashore and about your business, you are very, very lucky if they don't confiscate the vessel. I don't know what country you are from, but I know that a boat better not enter US waters without properly clearing in if they want to avoid major problems.

Chris, it is hard for me to believe they followed normal procedures if not aware that the Comandante has a record of every vessel in the harbor, and that making sure there is such a record is the first thing that must be done by an arriving vessel.

You are right, Chris, it is not just the DR that is tough on boats coming in unannounced and unregistered. With the world-wide concern about drug smuggling, terrorism, etc., etc., the movements of arriving vessels are closely monitored.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
If you just entered the harbor, anchored, went ashore and about your business, you are very, very lucky if they don't confiscate the vessel. I don't know what country you are from, but I know that a boat better not enter US waters without properly clearing in if they want to avoid major problems.

Chris, it is hard for me to believe they followed normal procedures if not aware that the Comandante has a record of every vessel in the harbor, and that making sure there is such a record is the first thing that must be done by an arriving vessel.

Knowing Luperon, it is hard to think that one can get off there without following procedures. It is not like one can hide there. You can dingy to the yacht club, where some person will question you no doubt, or you can go over to the 'government dock', where some uniformed official will get hold of you, no doubt.

I don't understand the original question Ken - or maybe I do and it just kinda blows my mind.

More information please Karenssp.... We will try to assist, but you have to tell the story straight.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Chris said:
Knowing Luperon, it is hard to think that one can get off there without following procedures. It is not like one can hide there. You can dingy to the yacht club, where some person will question you no doubt, or you can go over to the 'government dock', where some uniformed official will get hold of you, no doubt.

I don't understand the original question Ken - or maybe I do and it just kinda blows my mind.

More information please Karenssp.... We will try to assist, but you have to tell the story straight.

My husband orginally sailed his boat to Luperon, he saw a boat that he liked and the other person (who lives in DR) was interested in his boat, so they made an exchange. All the paper work was in order. So know my husband is doing some repairs on the boat, ie. rebuilding the engine ect. inorder to sell it or bring it back home. Alone comes the Comodante' asking for the boat papers. You see the boat had been moored in the bay for a year prier to that. My husband is a licence captain, and knows the procedures when entering different ports.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Chris said:
How much is he asking to 'return' the papers? Do you have copies?

I'm not in Luperon with my husband, I think they want 35,000 pesco (which is not much, but it is the principle of not knowing why they want the papers.
If he pays them and they don't give an explanation as to why they took the papers, who said that it won't happen again? I believe he has a lawyer, Mr. Mendes from Puerto Plata to look into the matter.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
karenssp said:
I'm not in Luperon with my husband, I think they want 35,000 pesco (which is not much, but it is the principle of not knowing why they want the papers.
If he pays them and they don't give an explanation as to why they took the papers, who said that it won't happen again? I believe he has a lawyer, Mr. Mendes from Puerto Plata to look into the matter.

Well he has the papers back, thanks to some friends of his in DR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So tell us, was it

an attempted rip-off or what?

How did it go and what's happening now?

HB curious

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
karenssp said:
My husband orginally sailed his boat to Luperon, he saw a boat that he liked and the other person (who lives in DR) was interested in his boat, so they made an exchange. All the paper work was in order. So know my husband is doing some repairs on the boat, ie. rebuilding the engine ect. inorder to sell it or bring it back home. Alone comes the Comodante' asking for the boat papers. You see the boat had been moored in the bay for a year prier to that. My husband is a licence captain, and knows the procedures when entering different ports.

There is a big risk when you sell a foreign flagged vessel in the DR and from your experience, it appears there is much the same risk if you trade foreign flagged vessels. As far as the authorities are concerned, it is like importing merchandise and selling it without paying customs duties and other fees. I can understand their thinking on this.

I just sold my sailboat to a man from Scotland; he flew to the DR to take ownership. However, on my advice, he said nothing about buying the boat. I gave him a post dated bill of sale and I gave the Commandante a paper saying that he had my authorization to take the vessel to Puerto Rico for maintenance. The next day, the new owner sailed for Puerto Rico without any problem clearing out. On the effective date of the bill of sale, he can tear up the note that I gave him and prove his ownership of the vessel with the bill of sale.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Boat papers are back in his hands

Hillbilly said:
an attempted rip-off or what?

How did it go and what's happening now?

HB curious

My husband has his boat papers back, after paying over $700 for them.
I was really angry and wanted to know if it would have made a difference going the the British Ambassador for help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
karenssp said:
My husband has his boat papers back, after paying over $700 for them.
I was really angry and wanted to know if it would have made a difference going the the British Ambassador for help.

No, and probably would have made it worse if you are keeping your boat in the DR.

Brirish ambassador

What he going to do cry in the tea, he paid the likely overdue customs charges to the Commadante, or was ripped off. You are only telling your side of the story, now what is the rest of the story a la "Paul Harvey"
I cross the river from Canada to the USA, need an I66 card and must report to customs when landing via a phone number and tell them how long I will be in the USA and what the purpose of my trip is.

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
We did not just drop anchor

Hillbilly said:
And see how long it takes for the ATF guys to get out there!!.

"Selling it"? Oh yeah, to whom are you going to pay the sales tax? What right do you have to use Dominican waters to conduct your business, make a profit and skeedaddle? Sounds like you still think there are Indians roaming the hills.

Not that you are far off, but there are certain proprieties to be observed.

Nope, so far, I'd say you've been sort of lucky....I can't imagine the USCG ignoring a boat moored in any coastal water for much time.

HB :(:(:(

We did not just drop anchor. If you had read the other information I posted, yu would see that we did not sail their on this particular boat.
The Comandante was just a money grabbing ????? and is currently in Jail.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know it's kinda late

but I followed this for a while.

I am glad it turned out for the best. and it was unfortunate that the SOB comandante was on the take and looking to pull a fast one.

However, it does seem like a strange way to do business. You will notice that Ken, with nearly 20 years of experience, questioned the whole thing and found his own way to sell his craft.

Cordially,

HB

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
?comodante's sentence?

I'm glad to hear the so'n'so was arrested.
I'd love to know just how long he has been sentenced for. ?do you know?
And on what charges he was tried.

I despise corruption with a passion. I'm not the typical "just accept it as the way of life and play the game", or "consider yourself lucky"
Its alway great news to hear someone out there is actually trying to clean house.

P.S. Glad to hear things did get worked out for you folks to a degree, though it cost you 700 bucks.