Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Cry for help for a dominican child

Hello everyone,
    I received a phonecall from my longtime dominican friend Yanet with a cry for help for her 10-year old son. The child suffers from 'anemia itoplasica medular adquirido', a bone-marrow disease and he either needs a medicine not available in DR called GGAT (galma globulina anti timositica) or possibly a bone-marrow transplant. I hope I have written it down correctly after speaking to the doctora on the phone.
    The mother is now with her boy interna in a clinica in Santo Domingo.
    Since she does not have the financial means to afford the medicine or the operation, she asks me if there are any organizations (unicef, NGOs, etc) in the DR that help children in need and that can help her in her difficult situation.
    Please send me all helpful information.
    Thanks
    Bartolomeo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vague answer but will try to find out more later...

I once met a young boy in DR who had some kind of life saving surgery as an infant (something with his heart). The boy was taken to North Carolina for the surgery with the help of Juan Luis Guerra. I don't know if he has some kind of organization or if it was a gift but I will try and get some more information.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_NJ
    I once met a young boy in DR who had some kind of life saving surgery as an infant (something with his heart). The boy was taken to North Carolina for the surgery with the help of Juan Luis Guerra. I don't know if he has some kind of organization or if it was a gift but I will try and get some more information.
    Thanks Chris,
    I googled it and indeed the singer has a foundation that helps children. I cannot find any data on address, telephone, website or email though. I told the mother already to ask the clinica. This maybe something good.
    Bartolomeo

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This website mention the foundation of Juan Luis Guerra and thanks it for support, try to email them and ask for more information.
    Here is the link:

http://www.ldsproductions.com/charitable_causes.htm

Also maybe ( donīt know if they help in this case, but everything is worth a try)

www.smilesfoundation.org
    www.addyourlight.org

Try it at least!
    And keep us posted.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen occasional requests of this nature on Cadena de Noticias (Channel 37) in the News Bulletins. Maybe the mother could call them? Tel 809-683-8100 or 1-200-5338.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The mother could contact El Nacional as well - see in today's El Nacional a similar sort of request for help.
    http://elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=28074

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this as well...

http://www.sickkids.ca/international...+Fund&sID=9303

the Herbie Fund has been set up specifically for international cases and in the past has helped children from around the world including DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the good ideas. I am passing them all on to the mother.
    In the meantime I managed to find data on the secretary of the Juan Luis Guerra Foundation, Dr Herbert Stern. Yanet now tries to contact him.
    Strange though that there isn't an easy to find website on this Foundation.
    Bartolomeo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try "Doctors without Borders" as a search they help not only in war-epidemic but also this kinnda situation. Hope this helps.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

try the Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto. they do this for free all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast