Cry for help for a dominican child

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hello everyone,
I received a phonecall from my longtime dominican friend Yanet with a cry for help for her 10-year old son. The child suffers from 'anemia itoplasica medular adquirido', a bone-marrow disease and he either needs a medicine not available in DR called GGAT (galma globulina anti timositica) or possibly a bone-marrow transplant. I hope I have written it down correctly after speaking to the doctora on the phone.
The mother is now with her boy interna in a clinica in Santo Domingo.
Since she does not have the financial means to afford the medicine or the operation, she asks me if there are any organizations (unicef, NGOs, etc) in the DR that help children in need and that can help her in her difficult situation.
Please send me all helpful information.
Thanks
Bartolomeo

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Vague answer but will try to find out more later...

I once met a young boy in DR who had some kind of life saving surgery as an infant (something with his heart). The boy was taken to North Carolina for the surgery with the help of Juan Luis Guerra. I don't know if he has some kind of organization or if it was a gift but I will try and get some more information.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Chris_NJ said:
I once met a young boy in DR who had some kind of life saving surgery as an infant (something with his heart). The boy was taken to North Carolina for the surgery with the help of Juan Luis Guerra. I don't know if he has some kind of organization or if it was a gift but I will try and get some more information.

Thanks Chris,
I googled it and indeed the singer has a foundation that helps children. I cannot find any data on address, telephone, website or email though. I told the mother already to ask the clinica. This maybe something good.
Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for the good ideas. I am passing them all on to the mother.
In the meantime I managed to find data on the secretary of the Juan Luis Guerra Foundation, Dr Herbert Stern. Yanet now tries to contact him.
Strange though that there isn't an easy to find website on this Foundation.
Bartolomeo

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
You could try "Doctors without Borders" as a search they help not only in war-epidemic but also this kinnda situation. Hope this helps.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Sad news

Thanks for all your help and ideas but it was too late.
Last night at 7 pm the boy died of complications to his disease.
Fundacion Juan Luis Guerra was going to transfer him to another clinica today but their help came too late.
The mother told me that the kid was in and out of hospitals for the last 2 weeks, I guess she probably waited too long to cry for help.
May he rest in peace.
Bartolomeo

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This breaks my heart. Our thoughts and prayers are with your friend, the mother in this very moment.
There can be nothing more hard in life than to lose a child, and to survive your child.
Nothing can ease her pain right now, I am sure, and my only hope now is that the boy is in a safe place where there is no hurt anymore, and that he will live in the heart and thoughts of his mother, friends and family forever and ever.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My guess is, months, too long

I looked through WebMD's lists of anemias, and I did not see this exact one, but the bone marrow issue is generally far beyond anything done here...

This was not an issue of just 2 weeks, this was a long time in coming, but the poor tend to put these things off until it is obvious. I feel so sorry for her.

What about the man that took his very ill son over the that place were CC works..according to the papers he spent hours with no attention (he went to the emergency area, the kid had pneumonia), then some some attention was given but not by doctors, and then the kid died anyway. Then the place gave the guy a bill for tens of thousands of pesos. No money no body. Can this be>?? If this is even minimally true, this explains why the killing never stops.

HB :(:(:(:(

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Reminds me of a similar situation here. One of the guys working for me had a 12 year old son, who neeed a bone marrow transplant. Very expensive in the Philippines.

The guy used all his savings, sold his house, cashed in his final settlement
already now and we even had a collection within the company. The boy got the treatment, but died shortly afterwards.

People say that there is a meaning with everything that happens but when I see the grief on the face of this guy, I wonder, I wonder...

Life can be so viciously cruel sometimes.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
You are correct wise man

Hillbilly said:
This was not an issue of just 2 weeks, this was a long time in coming, but the poor tend to put these things off until it is obvious. I feel so sorry for her.

I am afraid so. The mother told me the boy started getting sick 5 months ago.
She probably saw the kid slipping away last week, started panicking and only then looked for real help...
Now she's left with a 35,000 peso hospital bill to pay, even though this clinica couldn't do much to help her, only ease the pain of the child a bit.
Bartolomeo