Let's suppose

principe

Nov 19, 2002
We all recognize that perhaps the biggest threat to development, or hope for success for the DR its economy, and progress lies in politics and corruption. All that could be seen as hindering growth or advancement on the island 'in my opinion anyway' emanates from lack of leadership. Let us envision new political leadership, hypothetically anyway. Leadership of Dominicans residing or having resided abroad thus bringing a new vision for the country. Is this realistic? How would a movement of this nature get off the ground? What would be the potential pitfalls? Just a thought!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
principe said:
We all recognize that perhaps the biggest threat to development, or hope for success for the DR its economy, and progress lies in politics and corruption. All that could be seen as hindering growth or advancement on the island 'in my opinion anyway' emanates from lack of leadership. Let us envision new political leadership, hypothetically anyway. Leadership of Dominicans residing or having resided abroad thus bringing a new vision for the country. Is this realistic? How would a movement of this nature get off the ground? What would be the potential pitfalls? Just a thought!
It's a good question, but it should probably be moved to the debate section, I'm not sure what it has to do with travel.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
principe, your idea sounds good. But from what I have gathered, it isn't happenin' during my lifetime. There just ain't enough intelligent life in the DR. Best y'all can do down there is get ripped with Presidente and Brugal.....grin and bare it.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Oops

my bad for posting it on the wrong section, mondonguito con arroz i was bit more hopeful when initially posting but because of lack of brain power with balls in dr change needs to come from Domicans outside of DR

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
principe, how do you plan to lobotomize 9 milllion people? and teaching them that the government is not your daddy? and that handing over your money and freedoms to the government is not good?

principe

Nov 19, 2002
mondonguetion point taken, you really think it would be that difficult to create a new party with significant following in DR to win an election?

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Felix Sanchez for President!

principe said:
How would a movement of this nature get off the ground?
Recipe:
* You take a number of competent young politicians of PLD and PRSC together, who within their party have to wait far too long until the old crocodiles retire to have their go at power
* You add a big spike of business money
* You come up with a modern party name, no more P-something like they all
are, but things like SIGLO XXI, RD2020 etc
* You find a charismatic DR sports figure for the party: Felix Sanchez or a retiring famous baseball player, and finally
* You decorate the whole with a whisker of tv presentors or soap serie actors/vips on your list so that everyone knows your party from day 1.
Go for it Principe!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Bartolo's got the idea, i mean how many people on these boards are moaning about the politickers in dr I have not once read a solution to biggest problem dr has.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bartolomeo67 said:
Recipe:
* You take a number of competent young politicians of PLD and PRSC together, who within their party have to wait far too long until the old crocodiles retire to have their go at power
* You add a big spike of business money
* You come up with a modern party name, no more P-something like they all
are, but things like SIGLO XXI, RD2020 etc
* You find a charismatic DR sports figure for the party: Felix Sanchez or a retiring famous baseball player, and finally
* You decorate the whole with a whisker of tv presentors or soap serie actors/vips on your list so that everyone knows your party from day 1.
Go for it Principe!

then what happens?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good ideas

And most of the posters have contributed bits and pieces.
For example, while it might be extreme, it is not totally off the wall, that thing about re-educating the 9 mill Dominicans.
Nor is the idea of how to structure the early party. There are some brilliant young leaders out there that are roaring to get it on.
Nor the idea to use intellectual talent, totally educated outside the DR.
In fact, a lot of what motivates Leonel comes from his NYC education. HOwever, political expediencies have distorted his plans. And let me say I am not a fan.

You understand of course that this will take Metro amounts of money.?? Or "privatization of the CDE amounts of money?"(One of my favorite harping themes those $700 mill that sort of disappeared)

And the basic premise of the MOJO Party (Movimiento Jovial?) has to be the voter's stomach.
Actually several appeal levels:
1) At the mass level: more food, health and education
2) At the mid level: price/exchange stabilization, job security issues-with discipline and responsibility.
3) At the upper levels: A policy of Less is More. Less bureaucracy-More agility for example. Less paperwork-More competitive. Less government-More opportunities.
4) At the intellectual appeal level: a very conservative approach to government with jurists chosen for abilities not party records, and truly independent as is possible in this society, of outside pressures (Like 9 demi-gods on high, dealing with only constitutional issues)

But hey, I can dream with the best of them.

HB :D:D :p

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Who cares? I love the place, faults and all. But I get sick and tired of the constant put downs and criticism on here of DR and its people. If those hate it so much, bu--er off back to where you came from. For those that dont live here but stick their 10 pennyworth in, bu--er off too.

But there definately seems to have been some improvement since Leonel took over, I'll put your question to him next time we meet. ;)