Disco in Playa Doroda Complex (Gran Ventana)

Devin

Mar 24, 2005
Hi, since the Gran Ventana does not have it's own disco..is there one in the complex that guests can go to?

Do they charge to get in? Or we just worry about drinks..

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
The Mangu Club is the popular one right now in Playa Dorada. It is at the Occidental Flamenco resort, yes they charge at the door.
Have fun!!!

Devin said:
Hi, since the Gran Ventana does not have it's own disco..is there one in the complex that guests can go to?

Do they charge to get in? Or we just worry about drinks..

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Mangu is actually at Jack Tar, not at the Flamenco, just to set that straight ;) And that one is definitely the most popular at the moment. It's 150 pesos to get in, I believe. You can also go to Crazy Moon in Paradise the hotel right beside the Gran Ventana or Gravity in Playa Naco or any of the discos in the plaza, such as Hemmingways or Roadway.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Oops thanks for correcting me I must of been thinking of something else. I was there in Feb seems like longer though. :cry:
I must be losing my memory already :laugh:
Thanks again! sorry Devin I was giving you mis information

lilcanadiangal said:
Mangu is actually at Jack Tar, not at the Flamenco, just to set that straight ;) And that one is definitely the most popular at the moment. It's 150 pesos to get in, I believe. You can also go to Crazy Moon in Paradise the hotel right beside the Gran Ventana or Gravity in Playa Naco or any of the discos in the plaza, such as Hemmingways or Roadway.

Dec 9, 2002
Lots of people who stay at Gran Ventana go to Crazy Moon in Paradise Hotel, which is right next door. There is no door charge, but drinks are expensive - almost on a par with what you would pay at home! Lots of the hotel workers go there too, so there is a mix of people, and music is varied - merengue/bachata, rock, pop, etc.

Hemingways in the plaza is pretty good, but expensive. Live music some nights, theme nights, karaoke. Always packed out with tourists and locals.

Haven't been to Mangu myself yet, but have heard good reports.

Make friends with the barstaff/fun team, and get them to take you to a club away from the complex. If you want to sample a Dominican disco, you must get them to take you to La Barrica - very loud, very dark, very hot. Very different!

Enjoy.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Mangu

The entrance fee of 150 pesos includes a free drink of your choice.

When I was there at the end of Jan they played spanish music for half the night and then R&B......there was also a strange interlude where a magician came on stage.......not sure what that was all about but the locals seemed to like it!!

Have a good trip.....will be there again in a couple of weeks...can't wait :)

Daydream.

Devin

Mar 24, 2005
Playa Dorado disco

Thanks everyone for their replies...going in a week-CAN'T WAIT!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
lilcanadiangal said:

Where is Roadway located?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
When did Playa Naco change its disco name to Gravity? When I worked there it was called "Tops", interesting why they would change the name. Also, Jack Tar obviously changed its name to Mangu from Caligua - just curious what the reasoning is behind this. As Delores asked, where is Roadway, this is obviously new as well?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Caligula changed to Mangu because Occidental (the hotel chain that runs Jack Tar) has been very successful with its Mangu disco in one of its hotels in Punta Cana area and thought of doing a repeat for Puerto Plata.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thank you for clearing that up for me Dolores (and sorry - just realized I had spelt your name wrong in my last post !)
I would assume then that this would be the reason for Playa Naco as well, new name - fresh outlook ? Tops was never as popular as Caligua or Crazy Moon, in fact, Heavens was the most popular when I lived there - of course - that is now 12 years ago!!!
Still wondering about this Roadway, perhaps some one will enlighten us!
Marlie

Last edited:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I did go to Roadway when I was there in Feb it was new, it had recently opened. My friend had a friend who worked there so he brought us there for a drink. It is around the Playa Dorada Mall.
Nice looking place and they have a DJ as well playing all types of music. We didn't stay late so I'm not sure how busy it gets? We just went for a drink before we headed out to a club.
Hope that helps a bit, it's not far from Hemmingways a few minutes away.

marliejaneca said:
Thank you for clearing that up for me Dolores (and sorry - just realized I had spelt your name wrong in my last post !)
I would assume then that this would be the reason for Playa Naco as well, new name - fresh outlook ? Tops was never as popular as Caligua or Crazy Moon, in fact, Heavens was the most popular when I lived there - of course - that is now 12 years ago!!!
Still wondering about this Roadway, perhaps some one will enlighten us!
Marlie

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Tops was "hot" for our first trip!

Mind you it was the only one open in the complex! lol Got a nice pic taken with Vanilla Ice in tha club.. still don't understand why of all rappers they'd have a pic of him but meh.. was interesante regardless.

Nov 5, 2004
Music said:
I did go to Roadway when I was there in Feb it was new, it had recently opened. My friend had a friend who worked there so he brought us there for a drink. It is around the Playa Dorada Mall.
Nice looking place and they have a DJ as well playing all types of music. We didn't stay late so I'm not sure how busy it gets? We just went for a drink before we headed out to a club.
Hope that helps a bit, it's not far from Hemmingways a few minutes away.

Music - I didn't realize you were there in February...when in February were you there and where did you stay?

Next time anyone is in the DR the same time as me and want to try Mangu out...let me know. Me and Carlos and up to 10 ppl always get in for free since he knows the manager or some other important guy...

It's a good disco though, but the drinks are ALOT! I went with Carlos 2 of my friends from Germany and a few Dominican guys...and for a big bottel of rum with 4 cokes it was $1,100 pesos!!!!!!!!

Carlos doesn't like Hemingways, so we don't usually go, but I don't find it's anything special either.

Crazy Moon was our favourite before Mangu was open....but Crazy Moon will be totally empty even on some weekends..and then for no apparent reason the next weekend it will be packed...so it depends. And sometimes the DJ at Crazy Moon forgets there is any other type of music besides Salsa. Not that I don't love Salsa...but varity can be a good thing....

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Mangu Disco

Dolores said:
Caligula changed to Mangu because Occidental (the hotel chain that runs Jack Tar) has been very successful with its Mangu disco in one of its hotels in Punta Cana area and thought of doing a repeat for Puerto Plata.

I was at Mangu Disco last night with friends.. arrived their just before 3 am... party was going strong with Rubi 92.5 DJ Lawrence there. Did not have to pay to get in - maybe because it was late. Music was great and we had a lot of fun ... would really recommend this place.

blitz

Apr 3, 2006
I was in PD 2 weeks ago, unfortunately never went anywhere aside from the Roadway as far as discos go. I was staying at the Gran Ventana, and it's literally 20 ft away from it.

you can bring your own drinks if you want. The place is REALLY small and gets very busy (after 11pm, roughly when the shows at the resorts end), and if you are looking for latin music I wouldn't suggest it. If you just want to hangout, it's got an area for eating (it's also a restaurant), the dancefloor, and the street outside of it is closed at night so you can chill there as well.

PS. There was no cover charge to get in!

SORRY.. 100 pesos for a Presidente.. my mistake!

Last edited:

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
Roadway

When I went in January, we spent 2 weeks. And we spent 14 nights going to Roadway. I loved that bar!!!! It was so much fun...tons of locals and tons of tourist. Drink prices weren't too bad RD$100 for a Presidente. The music was really good...a nice mix of american and dominican.
I found the staff there to be excellent. I would walk in the door and the bartender would have my beer waiting for me! I would reccomend this place to anyone staying in Playa Dorada. I have heard many good things about Mangu too...though I didn't make it there.
Roadway is in the Playa Dorada Complex. It's in the same complex as Hemmingway....if you walk around the complex you'll find it. Oh yeah...one more thing...the food there is AMAZING!! My friend and I went there for lunch one day, the best food we've had! The prices were comparable to home, but the quality and the quantity were a great bargain! If you get a chance, you should have a meal there. You won't be dissapointed. My reccomendation....the steak!
We also came back for another trip in March, and discovered more bars right in Puerto Plata....La Barrica is awesome! It's very different, is dark and loud and very sexy place to be. And it's 2 for 1 rum! We got 2 bottles of rum and a big bottle of Presidente and 2 bottles of pepsi, and it came to RD$300. It's nothing. I find if you go into Puerto Plata, it's much cheaper than Playa Dorada.
Hope this helps.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Mamachula,

To the best of my recollection, you are the first person here on DR1, or that I have met, who actually LIKED La Barrica, Way too dark, and with the 70's vintage disco ball spinning points of light on the walls and the incredibly loud music, I find it disorienting. There are IMHO much more pleasant places to go in Puerto Plata, where the drinks are as cheap or cheaper, the music is similar, and you can see your hand in front of your $%^&** face!

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
I thought it was cool. It's not somewhere where I would like to go every weekend. It was something new that I experienced....we dont' have anything like this where I live. I had a really good time. There were a group of us that went there so it made it a little more interesting.