Anyone Visit the Bar Listed in the RE Section?

E-Inc

Feb 11, 2005
Currently, there is a bar listed for sale (P-278) in the real estate section. Has anyone ever visited this bar and if so what were your impressions? Is there anyone that can give me a "fair" assessment as to the businesses in the same area. I will bombard the business forum with other questions; however, just wanted to see if anyone could give me some intel prior to my arrival in the DR on 16 Apr.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
A have to admit

I've been there a time or 2. This place is currently operating under the name "Cheers" and is right on the corner of Long Beach. It is British owned, and the clientele is primarily expats; probably more Brits than anything, but not exclusively. I wouldn't say business is booming, but there are some real "regulars". I have no idea if the apartment upstairs is habitable or not. I don't think the current owner lives there. Long Beach is, well, it's Long Beach. The view of the ocean is nice because there's a retaining wall that hides all the trash on the beach itself. Lot's of UBHs around when the Politur aren't doing sweeps and a couple of really sleazy low-budget massage places around the corner. The "Canadian" bar and grill advertized is 2 doors down. This area could use some "new blood" to say the least.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I am correct in assuming that they are asking a buyer to pay US$27,000 for the right to rent the place? It doesn't look like there is much furniture and/or appliances.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
rellosk said:
I am correct in assuming that they are asking a buyer to pay US$27,000 for the right to rent the place? It doesn't look like there is much furniture and/or appliances.

That's about right. Refrigerator and freezer, (seperate units, stainless steel commercial type), a beer cooler and a countertop propane stove would be the only equipment of value. I remember because I stopped in about a year ago when he had a repair man in replacing the compressor in the freezer.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes I've been to Cheers & know Derek - he had another bar in the centre of PP before this one.
I gather, sweetdbt, that UBH sweeping ops. have been pretty successful! Even Derek said it was much quieter at nighttime.

I'm glad the original poster plans to visit & see for himself. The whole area has a 'run down' sort of feel to it - but then it has for the 12+ years I've lived in PP.

I think someone with some novel ideas could get this place really buzzing, but given that it has other run down type places on either side, the whole parade really needs a facelift. It does have regular expat visitors & sometimes when I'm driving past I see a group of plastic wristbanded people, so presume these are tourists out of Playa Dorada. I would say from my observations which tend to be morning only, that I regularly see 3 to 5 people there, sometimes around 10, & rarely no-one.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lambada,

I'd say your assessment (note the social worker lingo) of the situation on Long Beach is "spot on". It's actually a great place to hang out during the day, enjoy the view and the ocean breeze, and perhaps an adult beverage or 2 (or more). The beach side bars all close early by Dominican standards and the place is dead before midnight. It does have a run-down look and feel to it and could use an influx of energy, but I'm not sure if one new owner could turn that trick.

If someone buys this place, I think they would be wise to try to retain the day bartendress, Jaquelina. What a sweetheart! Derrick is a charactor, and an OK guy, but a smile and a hug from Jaquelina is the main reason I always stop bye for a drink every time I'm in Puerto Plata. I'll quickly add that a smile and a hug is all I (or anyone else for that matter) get, because she is very much "taken", and Jerry is one lucky hombre.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hold on a minute!

We are talking $27.000 not $270.000. The rent on the Bar is $250.00 a month including apartment above? (Over looking the Ocean with balcony)
I look at the picture and count 12 Patrons outside........inside who knows?
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/896630/cheersfirst.jpg
I have stopped by and hoisted a few, True the place could use a paint job.
But we a talking about an established Business that with the right person could make it even better......

Gringo

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Gringo said:
We are talking $27.000 not $270.000. The rent on the Bar is $250.00 a month including apartment above? (Over looking the Ocean with balcony)
I look at the picture and count 12 Patrons outside........inside who knows?
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/896630/cheersfirst.jpg
I have stopped by and hoisted a few, True the place could use a paint job.
But we a talking about an established Business that with the right person could make it even better......

Gringo

I agree that the overhead would be low, and in fact would be next to nonexhistant if you could live in the apartment or sublet it out. I don't know if the price for the business is fair or not, but it doesn't seem exorbident to me.

As far as the picture with 12 customers........... I think it may have been, shall we say not exactly "coincidental", and it certainly isn't typical. There may have been a few free pequenas involved, although then again, knowing Derrick, maybe not.

Fact is, if this were 18 months from now, I'd be interested myself, especially if the apartment is not a total dump.

Robert, will Derrick have to pay extra for the advertising on this thread?

E-Inc

Feb 11, 2005
Great Input

Additionally, I appreciate all the input being provided. I of course am curious of how the "turn key" business works in DR and at the same time am not trying to get rich quick, but rather have something to call my own down the road and be able to invest my energy and money possibly. I am also looking at a few places in Sosua which are cheaper and right one the beach. Anyone know how I can get in touch with the owner of Cheers? Thanks again.

Earl

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sweetdbt,
If I recall correctly, when Baldi had the place as a shop, she used to live above. She works for Monumental de Seguros, you could ask her what the apartment is like. If you PM me I'll give you her phone number.

Earl,
If you PM me your email address I'll pop down with it to Derek & ask him to contact you, if you like.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks for the offer

Lambada. Lord knows I wish I were ready to start looking for a place, but as of now it's premature, and checking places out just for the heck of it would be masochistic. I can get kinky now and then, but I'm not into pain. ;)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think not!

sweetdbt said:
As far as the picture with 12 customers........... I think it may have been, shall we say not exactly "coincidental", and it certainly isn't typical. There may have been a few free pequenas involved, although then again, knowing Derrick, maybe not.

The picture does not look staged to me and anyone who knows Derrick tell me when the last time you saw him buy a drink for anyone? Fact is he is as tight as bark on a tree......

Gringo

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I believe the Bar has a Real Estate Agent!

E-Inc said:
Additionally, I appreciate all the input being provided. I of course am curious of how the "turn key" business works in DR and at the same time am not trying to get rich quick, but rather have something to call my own down the road and be able to invest my energy and money possibly. I am also looking at a few places in Sosua which are cheaper and right one the beach. Anyone know how I can get in touch with the owner of Cheers? Thanks again.

Earl

Why don't you contact the Real Estate Broker yourself? ( This is what he gets paid for)
You would not be trying to screw him out of his work involved would you Dude? (Commission)
If I was the owner I would tell you in a heartbeat to contact my Agent that's what I'm paying him for!

Gringo

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Gringo said:
sweetdbt said:

The picture does not looked staged to me and anyone who knows Derrick tell me when the last time you saw him buy a drink for anyone, Fact is he is as tight as bark on a tree......

Gringo

Exactly; which is why I added "although then again, knowing Derrick, maybe not." "

Half-joking about the picture being staged, although it would be easy to do, even without bribes. I have spent some time there, as well as a couple of bars up, and I honestly can say I don't ever recall seeing that many people there. I can also honestly say I've never seen the place completely empty, which cannot be said of a couple of other bars I know in PP. This in no way suggests it's not a potentially good investment for the right person.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
I was just there on the 29th of March. My cousin is the owner of cristals which is located around the block from Cheers. I always stop by to say hello and when he's not around I always stop by cheers to have a beer.

When I stopped by on tues at around 5:00 pm, there were 5 ex-pats including myself and 3 local chicas. I think I paid $50 pesos for a presidente which was cold. I did notice while I was there that the police drove by twice in the 25 minutes I was there.

The bar next to Cheers also had about 5 expats.

I do agree that the area needs a face lift but it's alway been that way as I can recall and I've been going to POP for over 15 years.

tampa

Sep 27, 2004
cheers is a nice place. just like everyone says. what ever happened to boom boom from dereks old cheers in downtown. just curious she was very beautiful as sweet as well

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Gringo said:
Why don't you contact the Real Estate Broker yourself? ( This is what he gets paid for)
You would not be trying to screw him out of his work involved would you Dude? (Commission)
If I was the owner I would tell you in a heartbeat to contact my Agent that's what I'm paying him for!

Gringo

Come on Larry, be fair to the guy. Earl didn't indicate for one MOMENT that he wanted to talk 'Price without Agent' to Derek, he indicated (to me anyway) that he wanted to find out more about the BUSINESS operation, things which you might not know as MUCH as Derek about. I am sure he would do the deal properly through you once he had sorted those things out with Derek!! ~ Grahame.