Visa, which way is better???

tanya78

Mar 5, 2005
Please anyone that has experiences, which way is better when trying to bring your significant other to the US? Is it better to Marry in the DR and bring them here or to file for a fianc? visa? Please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :classic:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
tanya78 said:
Please anyone that has experiences, which way is better when trying to bring your significant other to the US? Is it better to Marry in the DR and bring them here or to file for a fianc? visa? Please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :classic:

It is best to request them after getting married. A spouse is treated better than a fiance.I would also suggest that you file the application at the US consulate in SD.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I've had people in my familly trying the "fiancee" deal and they were treated like dirt. I can't endorse the way US immigration treats people before having proof that they are scammers but in this particular case I can understand their suspicions. A "fiancee" is a big nothing in legal terms. A marriage may be fraudulent too but at least it is some sort legal contract.

So, If you really mean it, get married abroad and then go see your friendly US immigration services.

If you are not serious about the whole thing, don't even waste your time on trying it the "easy fiancee" way and don't do the marriage deal... it will soon become an nightmare.

... J-D.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Advice and Information

First a piece of advice - Be shure and make shure you have all of the facts B4 making the commitment. If you are sure, think you have all of the facts (I'm sure you do not and will get a supprise some place along the way) and are ready to proceed then a K1 is faster and easier but does not give you as much time to discover the whole truth and the I130 process (immigrant Visa Process after marriage abroad) is much much longer. I have been through both processes with my new family the second (for the kids since they where not all included in the K1/K2 process) is still in process despite my wife and I being married for 3 years +. Some helpful web sites you can use are: www.ins.gov , http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular , https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp? , http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow and under Yahoo Groups (you will need to join) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K-1visa_DR/ There are also a number of other groups related to the Visa process from yahoo that may intrest you some are also under the following heading http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=k1&ss=1 others are also available just use the search option to find your area of intrest. Hope this helps - Good Luck!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
stewart said:
It is best to request them after getting married. A spouse is treated better than a fiance.I would also suggest that you file the application at the US consulate in SD.
A spouse may be "treated better than a fiancee", but I think the fiancee visa is processed quicker.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
tanya78 said:
jskr1us gives some excellent advice when he says, "a K1 is faster and easier but does not give you as much time to discover the whole truth and the I130 process". He also give some good links.

My advice is to find a reputable immigration lawyer in the US, and at very least ask them which approach is better. It shouldn't cost much for a consultation.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
rellosk said:
A spouse may be "treated better than a fiancee", but I think the fiancee visa is processed quicker.

THat may be. It has been a few years since I went through the process with my wife. We actually opted to get her a tourist visa. Then change the status once she was here. We went from her having no passport at all to flying to Utah in a 2 week time frame. I think they are cracking down on that now.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
An answer posted elseware

A related question: Anyone have any idea about the situation where once you are on the list for processing of a visa from the DR, how many people do they process on average per month? We are about 2,500 on a list of 16,000 waiting for an appointment date this month. This is after already waiting for 10 months.[/QUOTE]

This answer was given to a similar question and was posted on the K1 DR group Yahoo site - From: "Orozco, Julia"
Date: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:47 pm
Subject: RE: K-1 Group Appointment Waiting List Updated 3/31 by the Consulate candela_viajera
Send Email

Okay, MonkeyPawn?.I am going to share my theory. Assuming that everyone is either on the appointment list or on the waiting list, I counted the number of cases interviewed in March and April. It was about 2,994 in March and 3,200 in April. That means that if they don?t have any other cases on some other list not posted and kept interviewing at the same average rate, number 17,000 on the list should be seen in about 5.6 months from April. I know, that?s a long time. I sure hope they interview more people per month to shorten the wait. I miss my Hector dearly. I share your pain, we?re number 16,838. L

Hope it helps!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 3:28 PM
To: K-1visa_DR@yahoogroups.com
Subject: K-1 Group Appointment Waiting List Updated 3/31 by the Consulate

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As somebody mentioned, I also think that you should take an immigration lawyer.
Here is one I used when I lived in the States:
www.immigrationflorida.com
His name is Larry J. BEHAR. He is expensive but effective.
If you choose him, you may tell him "Hi" form Jean David SAUSER (he used to call me the "Swiss cowboy"). About 10 years ago I came into the States on a visa waiver with my Ecuatorian (back then) wife (on a tourist visa) and he turned the whole thing into a US residency... which is something you usually can't (with a visa waiver). :cool:

Choosing a lawyer is a personal choice and you chould never do it only based on somebody's recomendation or referral.

... J-D.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
stewart said:
THat may be. It has been a few years since I went through the process with my wife. We actually opted to get her a tourist visa. Then change the status once she was here. We went from her having no passport at all to flying to Utah in a 2 week time frame. I think they are cracking down on that now.
A tourist visa is the fastest way to go. Unfortunately they are very difficult to obtain. The IP asked " Is it better to Marry in the DR and bring them here or to file for a fianc? visa?". I'm guessing they already tried the tourist visa route.

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
ANy info on what happens after you are approved? How long does the person have to live in the US? FOr how much time out of the year?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
kelly2 said:
ANy info on what happens after you are approved? How long does the person have to live in the US? FOr how much time out of the year?
Assuming your referring to the K1 visa: Once approved the couple has 90 days after arriving in the US to get married. During the 90 days the immigrant needs to remain in the US. Once married, the immigrant needs to remain in the US until the "green" card is issued. This used to take about 6 months, but it may take longer now. The above information is old (like the poster) and may has changed.

BTW, how did your novio's vistor visa renewal go?

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
But then after that, how long do they have to stay to remain residents?

I ask this because it didn't go well... the man didn't look at anything, asked if we planned on getting married ever then told him to apply for a K1. He didn't realize that this was an immigrant visa. He told him that you can't apply twice for a visa to visit someone's family. THen denied it without looking at anything or a reason. So he called and has a new date in July. Hopefully this time they will even look at his papers.

WHat doesn't make sense is that he has more proof of returning this time, as I have a contract here to work next year, more money in the bank, etc...

ANd really, if he was a flight risk, you think he would have returned the first time and chanced not getting another visa.

The most frustrating part is that a K1 is not an option because I am living here... that is why I ask what you have to do to maintain residency if you get it. I can't seem to find this info on the websites.

rellosk said:
Assuming your referring to the K1 visa: Once approved the couple has 90 days after arriving in the US to get married. During the 90 days the immigrant needs to remain in the US. Once married, the immigrant needs to remain in the US until the "green" card is issued. This used to take about 6 months, but it may take longer now. The above information is old (like the poster) and may has changed.

BTW, how did your novio's vistor visa renewal go?

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Decisions. Decisions.

I understand that the K-1 is supposed to be faster but what percentage of K-1 visas are actually approved. My fiance and I are struggling with which visa to decide on - the K-1 or the CR-1. I have heard many positive and negative thigns about both. I am very fearful. The time apart is difficult and it is getting quite expensive to travel to see him every 2-3 months. Visa requests for the area that I live in are processed by Vermont and they seem to be pretty up-to-date. Does anyone know of a website for information on the CR-1?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My brother used the K1 visa process to take his girlfriend to the USA from Peru. I thought it was quiet easy. Of course your success will depend on your finances. There is a lot of paperwork involved but if you take your time and do it right the process should flow smoothly. It took him about three months to get her into the USA. Once in the USA they were married. At that point you have to apply for a Change of Status. That is a process in itself and requires more photos, fingerprinting, and interviews. She received her green card after about four months in the USA. You have to hold onto all your paperwork...don't throw anything away...not a scrap. He misplaced a response from HomeSecurity that delayed the process and caused quiet a scare. Do know that processing times depend upon the country your friend is coming from.

I married here in DR and have a been going through the process of taking my wife to USA. This, so far, has been a very smooth process. On track and almost completed. Much easier than I expected judging from information I received on internet. Of course we are not finished. If all is straight up then you should have no problems. If you can prove you have a financial situation to support your spouse in USA then all should go well.

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
Then after you get your green card what are the requirements for staying in the US??? 6 months a year?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I think the INS at some point will get pretty testy with people living in the DR trying to act like they live in the US, get a K1 fiance visa, wait out the marriage and residency period and then skedaddle back to the DR. If the OP lives in the DR and the wife to be does then stay in the DR. Since they both want to.

You have to think at some point they will look at passport stamps and say, hey these people are in the DR all the time and in the US rarely - that's not what a green card is for - it's cancelled. And on the other side, the Dominicans might think the same thing.

The same thing happens in Canada - get landed immigrant status then make a beeline for where you came from - we then cancel the status when we find out and for good reason.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My understanding is that you can travel outside the USA for up to a year. I can try and find the link.