Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Visa, which way is better???

Please anyone that has experiences, which way is better when trying to bring your significant other to the US? Is it better to Marry in the DR and bring them here or to file for a fiancé visa? Please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tanya78
    Please anyone that has experiences, which way is better when trying to bring your significant other to the US? Is it better to Marry in the DR and bring them here or to file for a fiancé visa? Please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

It is best to request them after getting married. A spouse is treated better than a fiance.I would also suggest that you file the application at the US consulate in SD.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your response.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had people in my familly trying the "fiancee" deal and they were treated like dirt. I can't endorse the way US immigration treats people before having proof that they are scammers but in this particular case I can understand their suspicions. A "fiancee" is a big nothing in legal terms. A marriage may be fraudulent too but at least it is some sort legal contract.

So, If you really mean it, get married abroad and then go see your friendly US immigration services.

If you are not serious about the whole thing, don't even waste your time on trying it the "easy fiancee" way and don't do the marriage deal... it will soon become an nightmare.

... J-D.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice and Information

First a piece of advice - Be shure and make shure you have all of the facts B4 making the commitment. If you are sure, think you have all of the facts (I'm sure you do not and will get a supprise some place along the way) and are ready to proceed then a K1 is faster and easier but does not give you as much time to discover the whole truth and the I130 process (immigrant Visa Process after marriage abroad) is much much longer. I have been through both processes with my new family the second (for the kids since they where not all included in the K1/K2 process) is still in process despite my wife and I being married for 3 years +. Some helpful web sites you can use are: www.ins.gov , http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular , https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp? , http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow and under Yahoo Groups (you will need to join) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K-1visa_DR/ There are also a number of other groups related to the Visa process from yahoo that may intrest you some are also under the following heading http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=k1&ss=1 others are also available just use the search option to find your area of intrest. Hope this helps - Good Luck!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stewart
    It is best to request them after getting married. A spouse is treated better than a fiance.I would also suggest that you file the application at the US consulate in SD.
    A spouse may be "treated better than a fiancee", but I think the fiancee visa is processed quicker.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tanya78
    jskr1us gives some excellent advice when he says, "a K1 is faster and easier but does not give you as much time to discover the whole truth and the I130 process". He also give some good links.

My advice is to find a reputable immigration lawyer in the US, and at very least ask them which approach is better. It shouldn't cost much for a consultation.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    A spouse may be "treated better than a fiancee", but I think the fiancee visa is processed quicker.
    THat may be. It has been a few years since I went through the process with my wife. We actually opted to get her a tourist visa. Then change the status once she was here. We went from her having no passport at all to flying to Utah in a 2 week time frame. I think they are cracking down on that now.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An answer posted elseware

A related question: Anyone have any idea about the situation where once you are on the list for processing of a visa from the DR, how many people do they process on average per month? We are about 2,500 on a list of 16,000 waiting for an appointment date this month. This is after already waiting for 10 months.[/QUOTE]

This answer was given to a similar question and was posted on the K1 DR group Yahoo site - From: "Orozco, Julia"
    Date: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:47 pm
    Subject: RE: K-1 Group Appointment Waiting List Updated 3/31 by the Consulate candela_viajera
    Send Email

Okay, MonkeyPawn….I am going to share my theory. Assuming that everyone is either on the appointment list or on the waiting list, I counted the number of cases interviewed in March and April. It was about 2,994 in March and 3,200 in April. That means that if they don’t have any other cases on some other list not posted and kept interviewing at the same average rate, number 17,000 on the list should be seen in about 5.6 months from April. I know, that’s a long time. I sure hope they interview more people per month to shorten the wait. I miss my Hector dearly. I share your pain, we’re number 16,838. L

Hope it helps!

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 3:28 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: K-1 Group Appointment Waiting List Updated 3/31 by the Consulate

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is great

Wow!! all of this information is very useful, Thank you everybody

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast