John Paul II is dead. He stopped here

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
during his first visit to Latin America

The DR was his first stop. He visited here three times, the last in '92.

A truly great man, marked to be one of the most important in the 20th century.

Benedicat vos omn?potens Deus, Pater, et Filius, et Spiritus Sanctus.

HB

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Indeed. A great leader. A great man.
The impact he made to lives throughout world is without a doubt heaven sent.
:sleep:

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
TEHAMA said:
Indeed. A great leader. A great man.
The impact he made to lives throughout world is without a doubt heaven sent.
i salute you pope john...one of the most unforgettable moments in my life was to see you in rome..a truly beautiful place..fit for a truly beautiful human being.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
He was already being called

John Paul the great. I think it's safe to say with his passing, that the title will be permenant. What a life this man lived. What an example of courage, perseverence and consistency. I live in a part of the Southern US where there is a long history of literal hatred for Catholicism. It has been amazing to see attitudes change as a result of the almost universal respect for this pope, in spite of the scandals in the American priesthood. "Big shoes to fill" does not even begin to describe the challenge his successor faces.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
The FIVE people you meet...

I wonder. With such an incredible life who his FIVE people will be.

-Someone on here MUST know what I am talking about.
TEHAMA

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
TEHAMA said:
I wonder. With such an incredible life who his FIVE people will be.

-Someone on here MUST know what I am talking about.
TEHAMA
great movie..jon voight..saw it last nite..i think john paul will meet a little girl and a little boy who help him on his journey.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
TEHAMA said:
So the movie is out now?

I read the book. Great book. the five people you meet in heaven
TEHAMA
Based on best-selling author Mitch Alborn's book, this moving TV drama centers on Eddie (Steven Grayham and Jon Voight), who dies at the age of 83, uncertain that he was able to save a girl from a horrible accident and doubting that his life had any significance. In heaven, Eddie meets five souls who, through flashbacks, show him how he affected the lives of others in amazing ways. Ellen Burstyn, Jeff Daniels and Michael Imperioli also star.

actually a tv movie..on dvd now for rental.. are there any video stores in the dr?

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Yeah. there are plenty DVD stores here. I just didnt know the movie was out that soon. You say a little girl and boy for the Pope. Nothing wrong with that guess. But in the book, the people he would meet added clarity to the way he viewed his life before actually entering heaven.

With the Pope having affected the lives of so many people, in many places, for many years...I just wondered which five people he might meet to complete the story of his life.

Kinda deep discussion for this forum, but great book. I havent recommended a book in years. This is good one. Its shows the value of life through unexpected channels.
TEHAMA

Last edited:

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
TEHAMA said:
Yeah. there are plenty DVD stores here. I just didnt know the movie was out that soon. You say a little girl and boy for the Pope. Nothing wrong with that guess. But in the book, the people he would meet added clarity to the way he viewed his life before actually entering heaven.

With the Pope having affected the lives of so many people, in many places, for many years...I just wondered which five people he might meet to complete the story of his life.

Kinda deep discussion for this forum, but great book. I havent recommended a book in years. This is good one. Its shows the value of life through unexpected channels.
TEHAMA
hollywood usually gives a different spin on what the book is about..but from what you've said ..the movie seems to be on the money.the reason i said a little boy and girl was the popes love of children. i'm sure he'll have a lot to say to his mother and father when he gets where he's going.........as if they don't know about this great man..they call son..already.

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
Even I am not

religious, but I was deeply impressed when he visited his assassin in the prison and has forgiven him for his attempt to his live. This was a truly great gesture, nothing like you normally see from so many leaders of any kind. He always spoke his believe and handled accordingly, Amen.

In this sense I truly honor the great Pope Paul II.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Official plans at the funerals

First Lady Margarita Cede?o, and Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez and Nuncio Timothy Broglio will be part of the Dominican delegation to the papal funeral. The First Lady has announced she would fly to Rome the day before the funeral. The Cardinal is due to arrive on Tuesday, 12 April.
Msgr. Timothy Broglio has been in Rome since Thursday, 31 March. He had the visit planned before the worsening of the health of the deceased Pope.
Msgr. Broglio, the papel representative to the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, is nuncio to the Dominican Republic and apostolic delegate in Puerto Rico that does not have full diplomatic relations with the Vatican.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I saw the Pope twice in nyc. The first time was in 1979 or 1980 and the second, I think was 1995. The second time, I was working at the parade and he passed close enough to me that I could almost reach out and touch him.

As a non-practicing Catholic who has somewhat strayed away from religion as I have gotten older, I have always been greatly impressed by Pope John Paul. I viewed him as being a steady hand over a not so steady Catholic church...especially in recent times. Truly a great man.

Larry

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Hillbilly said:
during his first visit to Latin America

The DR was his first stop. He visited here three times, the last in '92.

A truly great man, marked to be one of the most important in the 20th century.

Benedicat vos omn?potens Deus, Pater, et Filius, et Spiritus Sanctus.

HB

He is from the same town as me in Poland, Poland will not be the same without him, to us Polaks he is the greatest thing to come out of Poland ..

I met him when I was younger still in Poland...greatest moment of my life .... still remember it to this day, lots of the elderly people in the city know him personally and has been very hard for them... the worlds sad but this hit home (Krakow) the hardest...

He is truly missed back home .... I talked to my cousin last night and he said Krakow is packed with people on the streets but its all silence and deep prayer...

He represented home and helped Poland (and the world) in more ways that anyone can thank him for ...

R.I.P Karol Wojtyła

Ojcze Kochany co zrobimy bez Ciebie?? Pamietaj ze zawsze byłes, jestes i bedziesz w moim sercu.. Brak mi słow, nadal nie dociera do mnie ze Cie nie ma wśr?d nas, dla mnie jestes ciągle zywy.. Wiem ze jest Ci dobrze u Pana Naszego, tylko moje oczy nadal sa wypelnione łzami...Spoczywaj w spokoju Ojcze Kochany, nasz Rodaku wspaniały

brakuje nam sł?w, brakuje gestu i znaku...

z niewysłowionym b?lem Krak?w żegna Ojca Świętego

Pozostanie na zawsze w naszych sercach.

Dziękujemy Ci za wszystko Ojcze Święty!

online condolence book at www.krakow.pl

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Larry said:
I saw the Pope twice in nyc. The first time was in 1979 or 1980 and the second, I think was 1995. The second time, I was working at the parade and he passed close enough to me that I could almost reach out and touch him.

As a non-practicing Catholic who has somewhat strayed away from religion as I have gotten older, I have always been greatly impressed by Pope John Paul. I viewed him as being a steady hand over a not so steady Catholic church...especially in recent times. Truly a great man.

Larry

You expressed my sentiments better than I could have. The world now wonders what is in store for the Catholic Church...'big shoes to fill' is a grand understatement.

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Sorry not to share your opinions

As someone else said in another forum "He probably also a role working with aids in Africa".

He was against the use of condom, so I guess thousands of people died from AIDS before JP II did, just to follow his words. I think that saying to people in Africa not to use condoms was criminal. Round 25% of the population is infected wit HIV in Africa.

A small part of the money the catholic church has in Vatican banks would have helped saving them, paying tritherapy and antiretroviral treatments... The ones who make them do not want to sell them at low price to Africa, Asia or Latin America. Of course who cares, they are poor, they are not financially interesting.
Not only the church could help them, I suppose a war in Irak costs more money than the eradication of pendemic diseases, but once again, who cares ?

I am from Polish extraction, and my family is catholic, but I never liked the ideas the church is propagating. I don't care people are catholic, bouddhist, protestants, muslims etc. Everyone has the right to love the god he wants and to think what ever he wants but when I think to all the harm the catholic church did during 2000 years, I wonder if there is god behind this. What could I think from a pope blessing the German cannons during WW2 ?

This is just my opinion, and of course this is sad JP II died. But everyone of us will pass away and there are great people in this forum. Nobody will talk about them on TV when they die. So this is just the death of a 85 years old sick man. He should have resigned years ago, he was not able to assume his job anymore and there were other people taking decisions for him. Remember Reagan ? Do you really think he could have been president of the US the last years before he died (assuming he was he intellectually able when he was in charge...) ?

Last edited: