Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Book Suggestions

    Would like to learn some more about the history of the Dominican Republic and about life in general in DR. Could you all recomend the best books on these topics? Much appreciated...Tom

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I forget the exact title but it is something like The History of the Dominican Republic and it is by Frank Moya Pons and there is a version in Spanish. I read the English version and could not put it down. It is THE seminal history text of the DR and is used in universities and includes up to 1990 something and is very readable.

  3. #3
    Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you can find it: "Overtaken by Events" which was written by the former US Ambassador to the DR is interesting , covering the time from the Trujillo assassination to the invasion, so to speak , by the US, in the capital in 1965. Consider the source as to bias of course but I enjoyed it.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twhitehead
    Would like to learn some more about the history of the Dominican Republic and about life in general in DR. Could you all recomend the best books on these topics? Much appreciated...Tom
    About the Trujillo times (31 years of dictatorship), there is a master piece you should read. It is "The feast of the goat" from Mario VargasL-Llosa. It reads like a novel, I could not stop it till I finished. Read a comment on http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2004_02_001504.php

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danduva
    I forget the exact title but it is something like The History of the Dominican Republic and it is by Frank Moya Pons and there is a version in Spanish. I read the English version and could not put it down. It is THE seminal history text of the DR and is used in universities and includes up to 1990 something and is very readable.
    The book is titled "The Dominican Republic: A National History" and it can be found at

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

  6. #6
    Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Belga
    About the Trujillo times (31 years of dictatorship), there is a master piece you should read. It is "The feast of the goat" from Mario VargasL-Llosa. It reads like a novel, I could not stop it till I finished. Read a comment on http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2004_02_001504.php
    It reads like a novel since it is a novel and not a non-fiction book.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto
    It reads like a novel since it is a novel and not a non-fiction book.
    This is a novel ?
    I would say that some parts of the book have been novelized, but the whole background is part of History. I learned a lot about Dominican history reading that book

  8. #8
    Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Belga
    This is a novel ?
    I would say that some parts of the book have been novelized, but the whole background is part of History. I learned a lot about Dominican history reading that book
    It is a novel, not a work of non-fiction, check Amazon.com and see for yourself.

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto
    It is a novel, not a work of non-fiction, check Amazon.com and see for yourself.
    Ok, Ok, I trust you and Amazon, but I nevertheless appreciated this book very much and learned a lot reading it

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Coloring the Nation

    I really enjoyed Coloring the Nation: Race and Ethnicity in the Dominican Republic, by David Howard (available via amazon). The book looks at the role of race and ethnicity in the national identity of the DR. Provides quite a lot of material for thought and/or debate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •