Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Book Suggestions

Would like to learn some more about the history of the Dominican Republic and about life in general in DR. Could you all recomend the best books on these topics? Much appreciated...Tom

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I forget the exact title but it is something like The History of the Dominican Republic and it is by Frank Moya Pons and there is a version in Spanish. I read the English version and could not put it down. It is THE seminal history text of the DR and is used in universities and includes up to 1990 something and is very readable.

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can find it: "Overtaken by Events" which was written by the former US Ambassador to the DR is interesting , covering the time from the Trujillo assassination to the invasion, so to speak , by the US, in the capital in 1965. Consider the source as to bias of course but I enjoyed it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twhitehead
    Would like to learn some more about the history of the Dominican Republic and about life in general in DR. Could you all recomend the best books on these topics? Much appreciated...Tom
    About the Trujillo times (31 years of dictatorship), there is a master piece you should read. It is "The feast of the goat" from Mario VargasL-Llosa. It reads like a novel, I could not stop it till I finished. Read a comment on http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2004_02_001504.php

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danduva
    I forget the exact title but it is something like The History of the Dominican Republic and it is by Frank Moya Pons and there is a version in Spanish. I read the English version and could not put it down. It is THE seminal history text of the DR and is used in universities and includes up to 1990 something and is very readable.
    The book is titled "The Dominican Republic: A National History" and it can be found at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Belga
    About the Trujillo times (31 years of dictatorship), there is a master piece you should read. It is "The feast of the goat" from Mario VargasL-Llosa. It reads like a novel, I could not stop it till I finished. Read a comment on http://www.bookslut.com/fiction/2004_02_001504.php
    It reads like a novel since it is a novel and not a non-fiction book.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto
    It reads like a novel since it is a novel and not a non-fiction book.
    This is a novel ?
    I would say that some parts of the book have been novelized, but the whole background is part of History. I learned a lot about Dominican history reading that book

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Belga
    This is a novel ?
    I would say that some parts of the book have been novelized, but the whole background is part of History. I learned a lot about Dominican history reading that book
    It is a novel, not a work of non-fiction, check Amazon.com and see for yourself.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto
    It is a novel, not a work of non-fiction, check Amazon.com and see for yourself.
    Ok, Ok, I trust you and Amazon, but I nevertheless appreciated this book very much and learned a lot reading it

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coloring the Nation

I really enjoyed Coloring the Nation: Race and Ethnicity in the Dominican Republic, by David Howard (available via amazon). The book looks at the role of race and ethnicity in the national identity of the DR. Provides quite a lot of material for thought and/or debate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast