Art Schools

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I am trying to find information on Art Schools in or around Santo Domingo. I am looking for either part time or full time schools. My nephew is 16 and seems to have some artistic talents. I realize a career in art is not one you can count on, so I would like to find a school that teaches graphic/commercial art as well as art-art. I am try to locate schools on the high school level that might prepare him for college or trade school.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
suggestions

Hi Rellosk,

I suggest that you visit a couple of post-secondary art schools and allow them to advise you as to the best approach for your nephew. They would know, I'm sure, of any prep schools at the high school level in Santo Domingo.

One school is on El Conde in the Zona Colonial (if I remember correctly, it's one block east of the park, and its entrance is located on the north side of El Conde :). I was delighted to visit this school and meet several teachers and students. Students are admitted free of tuition; they need only show promise by way of their portfolio. The building itself is huge and gracefully built with arches and wide hallways. Everywhere you'll find students working.

A prestigious international art school is located in La Romana. Here is a link:

http://www.altosdechavon.com/school.htm

If you are willing to take the time for a visit, and arrange a meeting with one of the faculty ahead of time, you will come away with a much better understanding of what is possible with respect to careers and specialties.

Of course the school in the Zona Colonial has none of the prestige of Altos de Chavon. But it might be interesting to take a look at both and hear what they each have to say about a boy your nephew's age and how best to guide his talent.

dawnwil

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Thanks

dawnwil,

Thank-you for the information. I'm not sure if I can afford a school like the one at Altos de Chavon, but I will contact Parson School of Design in NY to see if they can give me some guidance.

I will also check the one you mentioned on El Conde in Santo Domingo. Do you remember if the name of the school is "Escuela de Bellas Artes" or "Grupo de Arte Metropolitano"? Both have addresses on El Conde.

Thanks for your help.

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
in certain countries kids with especial and outstanding talent in arts can enroll art academy even without going to highschool first! check out is it possible in DR.

are associate degrees/diplomas from english-speaking countries recognized in DR if i wanna continue my education at some dominican art academy?

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes

rellosk said:
dawnwil,

Thank-you for the information. I'm not sure if I can afford a school like the one at Altos de Chavon, but I will contact Parson School of Design in NY to see if they can give me some guidance.

I will also check the one you mentioned on El Conde in Santo Domingo. Do you remember if the name of the school is "Escuela de Bellas Artes" or "Grupo de Arte Metropolitano"? Both have addresses on El Conde.

Thanks for your help.

I think she's talking about Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes, located in El Conde st. (north)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
pi?acolada said:
I think she's talking about Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes, located in El Conde st. (north)
Coincidentally, I found out yesterday that "Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes" is the school that I am sending him to on a part-time basis. I think that school only teaches fine-art. I am trying to find a school that could teach him graphic/commercial art as well as fine-art. My main goal is to get him training so when he finishes his education he will be able to make a relatively good living.

I will stop by some of these schools next time I am in Santo Domingo.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
curious

Rellosk,

Let me know what you find to be a good direction for your nephew. No hurry, but I'd like to know what was suggested.

Thanks!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
dawnwil said:
Rellosk,

Let me know what you find to be a good direction for your nephew. No hurry, but I'd like to know what was suggested.

Thanks!
I'll be going to Santo Domingo in May to check out some places first hand. Thank-you for your leads. I'll let you know the results.