Motoconcho madness.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Recent and past threads concerning accidents caused by motoconchos and involving 'Gringos' are frightening. My question is why does one rarely see motonchos in Santiago, compared to Puerto Plata, where there are huge numbers of them. Thanks, Canadian Bob.

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
Motoconchos

canadian bob said:
Recent and past threads concerning accidents caused by motoconchos and involving 'Gringos' are frightening. My question is why does one rarely see motonchos in Santiago, compared to Puerto Plata, where there are huge numbers of them. Thanks, Canadian Bob.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good question, i dont see the reason why there are so many motoconchos in areas like Puerto Plata and Bavaro, i think its bad for tourism and the transportation needs an upgrade. (at least in those areas!! )

I think there's more motoconchos in puerto plata than santiago, because there's an union agreement .. ( not sure)

Robb

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
canadian bob said:

Santiago has a huge network of "carros p?blicos" (cars running the main avenues, stopping where you want them to stop, in which there are usually 6 people + the driver). They cost 8 pesos for a fare and are a pain in the a$$ for the traffic, as they stop everywhere, at any time and don't care about the others. I swear they could kill someone to have one more passenger !

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I think there's more motoconchos in puerto plata than santiago, because there's an union agreement .. ( not sure)

Robb[/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding... you honestly think they could organize a union in the DR??? I, for one think not or at least not for motoconchos.

Personally I like taking motoconchos in Puerto Plata (or wherever). They get you were you are going fast and they are cheap. However, I would not take one at night, for two reasons - crazy drivers and crazy motoconchos!!!

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Just to add to what El Belga said; In Santiago, where the carros publicos don't cover, the motoconchos fill in. Usually from the edge of the car route to a hose etc. I used them a lot when I was living near Nibaje and traveling out to Peking, Vietnam etc. several times a day.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Enjoy your motoconcho until you get in an accident and lose the left side of your face. I have seen to many cases of skin peeled off where they hit the pavement, and to many accidents. It never heals. Just last month I saw a vehicle in Santiago...the passenger opened the door at just the wrong time. The motoconcho hit the door. The passenger and driver were pretty messed up. It only takes one time and it can change your life forever. Be patient and wait for a publico car.

Fiesta Mama said:

Robb

You have got to be kidding... you honestly think they could organize a union in the DR??? I, for one think not or at least not for motoconchos.

Personally I like taking motoconchos in Puerto Plata (or wherever). They get you were you are going fast and they are cheap. However, I would not take one at night, for two reasons - crazy drivers and crazy motoconchos!!![/QUOTE]

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Snuffy said:

Actually there is a union for the legal motoconcho drivers in Puerto Plata!

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
carina said:
Actually there is a union for the legal motoconcho drivers in Puerto Plata!

Not to mention that by mid afternoon many drivers and motoconchos brain's are fried from Brugal right out of the bottle. Just imagine and multiply that hours later in the evening. When you get on the back of a moto concho try to get a whiff of his breath. If you smell the ole rum hop off. Same goes for taxis and publicos. Look for the rum bottle!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This I agree with.. but they still have a union. I did not write how it works, but it does exist one. ;)

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
The Breatyalyzer

That's the first thing I do. Try to get a whiff of their breath. One day in POP we were sitting in a restaurant across from Long Beach and both taxi drivers and motoconchos had gatered. The Brugal was being passed and the Presidentes were being poured. I remarked about that and was told they were all off duty. Yeah right. Could it have been a union meeting?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
That is what I do too.. I am not arguing with you on this point, not at all.
Still, there is a union for motoconchos, at least here in POP.
If you read my post, I mentioned it is for the those who work legally as motoconchos. These are the ones you see that for example works for supermercados etc, that wear company clothes etc etc.
I am not saying that it is a union "working well" in our terms of "well", but still they are trying.. with salaries, working hours, clothes for work etc etc.
I am not talking about the ones with a bike, a cap and that are more or less drunk, I dont even use those guys..
And I would never advice anyone else to use those either.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
KenoshaChris said:
That's the first thing I do. Try to get a whiff of their breath. One day in POP we were sitting in a restaurant across from Long Beach and both taxi drivers and motoconchos had gatered. The Brugal was being passed and the Presidentes were being poured. I remarked about that and was told they were all off duty. Yeah right. Could it have been a union meeting?

Until someone offers them money, ding ding, they are now "on duty".

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
carina said:
That is what I do too.. I am not arguing with you on this point, not at all.
Still, there is a union for motoconchos, at least here in POP.
If you read my post, I mentioned it is for the those who work legally as motoconchos. These are the ones you see that for example works for supermercados etc, that wear company clothes etc etc.
I am not saying that it is a union "working well" in our terms of "well", but still they are trying.. with salaries, working hours, clothes for work etc etc.
I am not talking about the ones with a bike, a cap and that are more or less drunk, I dont even use those guys..
And I would never advice anyone else to use those either.

Yes there are unions for motoconchos. And again yes, as to what they do or accomplish? Heaven only knows!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
stewart said:
Just to add to what El Belga said; In Santiago, where the carros publicos don't cover, the motoconchos fill in. Usually from the edge of the car route to a hose etc. I used them a lot when I was living near Nibaje and traveling out to Peking, Vietnam etc. several times a day.
peking, vietnam etc????? man you have got to be kidding. there are so many places in santiago where one can find love but why is it that foreigners always find love in the worst places of all? these are the worst ghettos of santiago.
Anyway, motochonchos only serve the lowest of all neighborhoods (ghettos) of santiago where folks can't afford taxis.
Fiesta mama, speaking of unions in DR, there is even a union of beer vendors in monumento. These folks walk around in blue shirts with a number printed on the back. they carry an ice cooler and sell beer from 40 - 50 pesos for a small one (fria fria, pequena). They are between 42-50 of them at a time at night. If a person who is not a member of the union dares to cut into their territory, he will get arrested on the spot, if not get beat up by other vendors first.
AZB

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
AZB said:
peking, vietnam etc????? man you have got to be kidding. there are so many places in santiago where one can find love but why is it that foreigners always find love in the worst places of all? these are the worst ghettos of santiago.
Anyway, motochonchos only serve the lowest of all neighborhoods (ghettos) of santiago where folks can't afford taxis.
Fiesta mama, speaking of unions in DR, there is even a union of beer vendors in monumento. These folks walk around in blue shirts with a number printed on the back. they carry an ice cooler and sell beer from 40 - 50 pesos for a small one (fria fria, pequena). They are between 42-50 of them at a time at night. If a person who is not a member of the union dares to cut into their territory, he will get arrested on the spot, if not get beat up by other vendors first.
AZB

Since you had to ask. I wasn't exactly lookin' for love in those places. I was a missionary and those are some of the places I worked. I loved every minute of it. I made lots of friends. Everybody was nice. I always fet safe. And they were nowhere near the level of the worst places that I worked. THey were actually a step up.
I didn't find love til I got to Mao. But the girl (my wife of ten years) is from Santiago.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
AZB said:
AZB

Yes this was my ignorance. I also forgot about the motoconcho drivers I see in Puerto Plata all the time with little vests of their "sponsor" or whatever deal they have going because I am sure they aren't wearing them for nada! I must admit though that I am quite surprised that there are unions in the DR... I love the country and it's people but I just never thought something organized like this would work when it seems like any Joe Blow can sell and do whatever they want.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
stewart said:
Since you had to ask. I wasn't exactly lookin' for love in those places. I was a missionary and those are some of the places I worked. I loved every minute of it. I made lots of friends. Everybody was nice. I always fet safe. And they were nowhere near the level of the worst places that I worked. THey were actually a step up.
I didn't find love til I got to Mao. But the girl (my wife of ten years) is from Santiago.
Sorry, I misunderstood you sir. My appologies to you.
AZB

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
AZB said:
Sorry, I misunderstood you sir. My appologies to you.
AZB

No harm done. I figured you made your comment based on what most gringo do in the barrios. Therefore, you have no reason to apologize.