Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motoconcho madness.

Recent and past threads concerning accidents caused by motoconchos and involving 'Gringos' are frightening. My question is why does one rarely see motonchos in Santiago, compared to Puerto Plata, where there are huge numbers of them. Thanks, Canadian Bob.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motoconchos

Quote Originally Posted by canadian bob
    Recent and past threads concerning accidents caused by motoconchos and involving 'Gringos' are frightening. My question is why does one rarely see motonchos in Santiago, compared to Puerto Plata, where there are huge numbers of them. Thanks, Canadian Bob.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good question, i dont see the reason why there are so many motoconchos in areas like Puerto Plata and Bavaro, i think its bad for tourism and the transportation needs an upgrade. (at least in those areas!! )

I think there's more motoconchos in puerto plata than santiago, because there's an union agreement .. ( not sure)

Robb

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canadian bob
    Santiago has a huge network of "carros públicos" (cars running the main avenues, stopping where you want them to stop, in which there are usually 6 people + the driver). They cost 8 pesos for a fare and are a pain in the a$$ for the traffic, as they stop everywhere, at any time and don't care about the others. I swear they could kill someone to have one more passenger !

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there's more motoconchos in puerto plata than santiago, because there's an union agreement .. ( not sure)

Robb[/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding... you honestly think they could organize a union in the DR??? I, for one think not or at least not for motoconchos.

Personally I like taking motoconchos in Puerto Plata (or wherever). They get you were you are going fast and they are cheap. However, I would not take one at night, for two reasons - crazy drivers and crazy motoconchos!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to what El Belga said; In Santiago, where the carros publicos don't cover, the motoconchos fill in. Usually from the edge of the car route to a hose etc. I used them a lot when I was living near Nibaje and traveling out to Peking, Vietnam etc. several times a day.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your motoconcho until you get in an accident and lose the left side of your face. I have seen to many cases of skin peeled off where they hit the pavement, and to many accidents. It never heals. Just last month I saw a vehicle in Santiago...the passenger opened the door at just the wrong time. The motoconcho hit the door. The passenger and driver were pretty messed up. It only takes one time and it can change your life forever. Be patient and wait for a publico car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiesta Mama

Robb
    You have got to be kidding... you honestly think they could organize a union in the DR??? I, for one think not or at least not for motoconchos.

Personally I like taking motoconchos in Puerto Plata (or wherever). They get you were you are going fast and they are cheap. However, I would not take one at night, for two reasons - crazy drivers and crazy motoconchos!!![/QUOTE]

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    Actually there is a union for the legal motoconcho drivers in Puerto Plata!
    Last edited by carina; 04-05-2005 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add word " divers"

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carina
    Actually there is a union for the legal motoconcho drivers in Puerto Plata!

Not to mention that by mid afternoon many drivers and motoconchos brain's are fried from Brugal right out of the bottle. Just imagine and multiply that hours later in the evening. When you get on the back of a moto concho try to get a whiff of his breath. If you smell the ole rum hop off. Same goes for taxis and publicos. Look for the rum bottle!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This I agree with.. but they still have a union. I did not write how it works, but it does exist one.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Breatyalyzer

That's the first thing I do. Try to get a whiff of their breath. One day in POP we were sitting in a restaurant across from Long Beach and both taxi drivers and motoconchos had gatered. The Brugal was being passed and the Presidentes were being poured. I remarked about that and was told they were all off duty. Yeah right. Could it have been a union meeting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast