Good Pediatrician Sosua area??

Cessie

Apr 5, 2005
Does anyone know a good pediatrician in Sosua? Also for vaccination updates for my kids. If there's one that also speaks english, would be great!
Thanks a million,
Cessie.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Cessie said:
Does anyone know a good pediatrician in Sosua? Also for vaccination updates for my kids. If there's one that also speaks english, would be great!
Thanks a million,
Cessie.
There are several good pediatricians at Clinica Bournegal in Puerto Plata. Sorry I don't have their names handy, but Bournegal is excellent. Dr. Quiroz in Caramicos is trained as a pediatrician and is an excellent doctor, but if you are not Dominican you might be put off by the appearance of his clinic. - D

Cessie

Apr 5, 2005
Danny W said:
There are several good pediatricians at Clinica Bournegal in Puerto Plata. Sorry I don't have their names handy, but Bournegal is excellent. Dr. Quiroz in Caramicos is trained as a pediatrician and is an excellent doctor, but if you are not Dominican you might be put off by the appearance of his clinic. - D

Thanx for the info. i've been to Quiroz up untill now, but im not sure if i shoud go to him for vaccination updates. Sometimes it seems as if he cannot explain himself (in english or in spanish). I will pass by the clinic in Puerto Plata. Thanx again,
Cessie

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Dr. Quiroz can very well administer vaccinations - but be sure which schedule it is that you want to follow, as, in my case, the Canadian version differed from Dr. Quiroz's in terms of frequency and dosage and I took charge of the vaccination booklet myself.

Salud Publica in Puerto Plata and Los Charamicos offer vaccinations for free, based on availability.

Dr. Albaine was the pediatrician at the Bournigal Clinic that everyone who was "anyone" were bringing their kids to about 5 yrs ago.

Cessie

Apr 5, 2005
Vaccination update

That helps me out a bit. I got a list with vaccinations needed for this country, from a local health insurance company. I compared it to what my kids have had back in Holland. The only one they need is Hepatitis.
What dosage? I have no idea. My kids are 2 and 6 months and 4 and 6 months.

Cessie.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
My Canadian booklet listed all the dosages and I always checked them out.

One thing I particularly remember is that certain doctors in the DR were using the live polio vaccination (Sabin) as opposed to the inactive version (Salk), whereas in Canada at the time they were doing the opposite.

My kids are 2 and 6 months and 4 and 6 months.

You must be quite busy!

Cessie

Apr 5, 2005
I think the boys will need a polio update when they are 9. The little one will need one at age 4. iI'm really nervous about this vaccination thing, wish i could go to Holland, update them there and come back, my trust in doctors here is not 100% yet. Although i must say, Quiroz did an exellent job a while ago when my oldest son fell on the floor and cut the back of his head open! He did a great job, stitching everything up, and the aftercare was also good. Yes, they are a handfull, luckily they both go to school in the morning, so happy me!! I can catch up on sleep, and ME-stuff then.

Cessie.