Capoeira

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
fitgal5 said:
Does anyone know of a place in Santo Domingo that I can take Capoeria classes???

I believe Eco on Av Winston Churchill almost corner Gustavo Mejia Ricart offers these classes. This place used to be called Ritmos. It is on the second floor above Impapel paper shop.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
After 3 years in England and 1 in Brazil playing Capoeira (1988-91), plus one of my best friends (Mestre Gato) being one of the original founders of Grupo Senzala in Rio, I guess I should have the answer your looking for, sadly I'm not much help :(

A guy from La Vega used to play on the Mirador Norte about a year ago.
I'll see if I can dig up his info.

What is Capoeira?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Gold gym gives classes in this dance. Contact gold gym in santo domingo.
AZB

fitgal5

Apr 5, 2005
Robert said:
After 3 years in England and 1 in Brazil playing Capoeira (1988-91), plus one of my best friends (Mestre Gato) being one of the original founders of Grupo Senzala in Rio, I guess I should have the answer your looking for, sadly I'm not much help :(

A guy from La Vega used to play on the Mirador Norte about a year ago.
I'll see if I can dig up his info.

What is Capoeira?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

Senzala...thats my brothers name

fitgal5

Apr 5, 2005
Dolores said:
I believe Eco on Av Winston Churchill almost corner Gustavo Mejia Ricart offers these classes. This place used to be called Ritmos. It is on the second floor above Impapel paper shop.

thanks, I'll check it out

jrguitar21

Dec 8, 2005
gedanken-experiment.com
any body practicing capoeira on the north coast?

(i realize this site is geared towards SD....but thought i'd ask anyway!) i'd love to join a roda while backpacking around the island this december.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Actually, the site is not SD focused, I would say it's the other way around.

No groups on the North Coast, but a large group in Santiago and a growing group in Santo Domingo.

jrguitar21

Dec 8, 2005
gedanken-experiment.com
woah, thanks for a speedy reply Robert!

Do you have a link to Santiago Group (or perhaps some more info or a contact?) Also I will be in SD for only a few days but maybe interested if you guys have any open rodas or classes there, i might like to join for a day or two.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Bringing back this old thread to let know that axecapoeira.com is still giving classes and going strong. They are now in three major city in the DR, Santiago is the head, Santo Domingo and La vega. Soon they will start in San Pedro also. Class in Santo Domingo are on tuesday, thursday and saturday at the Dominican Fiesta gym facilities (you don't have to be member of the DF club). Salve !

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Bringing back this old thread to let know that axecapoeira.com is still giving classes and going strong. They are now in three major city in the DR, Santiago is the head, Santo Domingo and La vega. Soon they will start in San Pedro also. Class in Santo Domingo are on tuesday, thursday and saturday at the Dominican Fiesta gym facilities (you don't have to be member of the DF club). Salve !

Do you know if any are active fighters in this art?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

Its time they visit the North Coast!

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

That's great ... there is also El Parkour in Santo Domingo and Santiago SANTO DOMINGO INVITA - EL PARKOUR - YouTube

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Do you know if any are active fighters in this art?

As a matter of fact, I think Axe Capoeira is on of the most "fight oriented" capoeira group.
Two of Mestre Barrao sons, the founder of the group, are involved in the MMA circuit.
I think the younger one, Lelo, who was fighting in a Vancouver based league just got
in the Bellator league.

This is the guy:

The Original Crazy 20 second Capoeira MMA Knockout! - YouTube

and also:

BFL10 Highlight - Marcus Aurelio vs. Jose Cornejo - YouTube

This is an overview of the group:

Axe Capoeira Vancouver 2011 - YouTube

Enjoy !

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was big into Capoeria back in late 80's. Helped start the first group in the UK and trained for a year in Brazil.

I trained under Mestre Gato one of the founding members of Grupo Senzala and one the "Golden Berimbau" twice. The Golden Berimbau competition was eventually banned due to fighters getting killed.

Great times, I stil get goose bumps 20 yrs later :)