2 cases (boxes) with personal items

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
me and my family will be relocating to sosua in july and we want to send 2 boxes with personal belongings ( toys,kitchenware,pictures and some hardware tools like drilling machine) with brucargo ( belgium company) to puerto plata.
How do we know the boxes have arrived in the airport and would it be hard to get them through customs?
They are just personal things ,nothing really expensive..
Will we have to pay alot to get the boxes home?

xx sabrina

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
mislarimar said:
me and my family will be relocating to sosua in july and we want to send 2 boxes with personal belongings ( toys,kitchenware,pictures and some hardware tools like drilling machine) with brucargo ( belgium company) to puerto plata.
How do we know the boxes have arrived in the airport and would it be hard to get them through customs?
They are just personal things ,nothing really expensive..
Will we have to pay alot to get the boxes home?

xx sabrina

I suppose the "drilling machine" - if electric - runs on 110 volts? If not, why bother?

Dominican customs are generally known to be very unpredictable and hard to reason with (read: corrupt), so it is always a game of chance to try to get something through there, be it new or used items.

Just my two cents... or should that be three cents, now that the DR$ is so "valuable"? (valuable, my a.s!!).

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
My experience is when I moved here, allthough it is several years ago, is that most of what was brought could have been bought here for less that I paid.
Photos etc is of course valuable, but don?t bring too much.. Buy it here, or compare the prices for shipping/paying here towards overweigth on the plane you are going with yourselves.

A friend of mine, from UK, got some stuff shipped to his "new" home here, used DHL, and he ended up paying more than he was happy with..

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Sabrina,
why don't you use Martinair Cargo?
Martinair flies direct Amsterdam-Puerto Plata, that way you should be able to know on which flight your stuff arrives.
As for customs I don't know, I hope you get lucky.
My 2 eurocents
Bartolomeo

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Shipping to POP

Using Martinair is a good idea. My a list of everything being shipped in form of an invoice, with your assessed value, mark all items used. Label the invoice list as personal belongings. Try to keep the box or boxes light as possible. A German drill will cost three times here as it would at home.
Good luck