need help in puerta playa

actor45

Jan 21, 2005
need help in puerta plata

I am going to vacation with my wife in puerta plata at the former dorado naco resort. can anyone tell me about this area? health concerns? nude beaches? do you need any vaccinations?

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
First of all - it is Puerto Plata, not Puerto Playa.
No nude beach - but it is topless.
No health related problems - except the ones that tourists bring on themselves - like overdrinking, too much sun, not putting hot sauce on fresh oysters, etc!
Vaccinations - perhaps someone else can answer this one.
Bring down mosquito repellent with DEET.
The beach area/hotel complex is called Playa Dorada, FYI.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The Play Naco Hotel, in Playa Dorada and five minutes from Puerto Plata! IT is a very nice intermediate facility right on the beach. No nude beaches anywhere here. Bring your mosquito repellent and your sunscreen, don't worry about vaccinations, eat and drink sensibly, do not drink the water from the taps, do not buy food from the vendors on the beach! Relax and enjoy your vacation.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Playa Naco and the former Dorado Naco are two different hotels, Planner. Playa Naco is and has always been Playa Naco and was built around 13-14 years ago and I worked there 11 years ago. Dorado Naco was right beside it and I do not know the name of it now - but am assuming it doesn't go by its original name as the OP said "former".

actor45

Jan 21, 2005
marliejaneca said:
First of all - it is Puerto Plata, not Puerto Playa.
No nude beach - but it is topless.
No health related problems - except the ones that tourists bring on themselves - like overdrinking, too much sun, not putting hot sauce on fresh oysters, etc!
Vaccinations - perhaps someone else can answer this one.
Bring down mosquito repellent with DEET.
The beach area/hotel complex is called Playa Dorada, FYI.

thanks for your reply. Have you been to this resort? Some friends of ours have a time share and are letting us use it. Is there a lot to do at the resort or do you have to go off grounds for activities? Family oriented or lots of couples? I have never vacationed where you have to worry about the water. N ot very concerned, but will be sensible.

actor45

Jan 21, 2005
planner said:
The Play Naco Hotel, in Playa Dorada and five minutes from Puerto Plata! IT is a very nice intermediate facility right on the beach. No nude beaches anywhere here. Bring your mosquito repellent and your sunscreen, don't worry about vaccinations, eat and drink sensibly, do not drink the water from the taps, do not buy food from the vendors on the beach! Relax and enjoy your vacation.
Thanks! any tips for fun?

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Hi there! If you are using a time share are you opting to buy an all-inclusive plan whil eyou are there? If you have kitchen facilities (as most time shares do) then I would suggest you NOT buy a package.

There is a great grocery store in Puerto Plata, that the local bus drops you in front of (or a cab) and you can get EVERYTHING you need including beer and liquor. As well there are many road-side vendors that sell fruit, eggs, etc so if you are adventurous can try them. I have a pretty easy time of it because I can speak Spanish. Anyone at the hotel will be able to tell you where to get the bus, how much it is, and you have to bang on the side and say Day-ha may a-kee (leave me here in phonetics) to get the bust to stop. Pretty easy, decent busses-and cabs are easily obtainable at the grocery store.

As well there is a large grovery store in Sosua, sjhould you check that area out for the day, along the main road. Someone here can tell you the name cuz I forget.

Hope that helps.

Fun? Get outta the resort area!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Fun?

Excursions:
Outback Safari
Ocean World
White Water Rafting

Night:
Cabarete - beach bars
Playa Dorada-Mangu's & Road House

Girls:
El Boheme
Club Crystal

actor45

Jan 21, 2005
Conchman said:
Fun?

Excursions:
Outback Safari
Ocean World
White Water Rafting

Night:
Cabarete - beach bars
Playa Dorada-Mangu's & Road House

Girls:
El Boheme
Club Crystal
what can you tell me about these clubs?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This is not Playa Naco but Dorado Club

planner said:

I think the poster means Dorado Naco Club, that is former Naco Club and located beside the Playa Naco hotel.

This hotel have kitchen facilites in the timeshare part, and if you like to cook yourself it is possible.
Closest supermarkets in Puerto Plata is Jose Luis and Tropical, that you can reach by taxi, motoconcho or public bus.

If you want to relax completely, then you might go for the AI package and eat/drink as much as you want for a fixed price.

Outings/excursions as suggested Jeep Safari, Ocean World, Catamarans, pubcrawl...

Have a good holiday!!

actor45

Jan 21, 2005
carina said:
I think the poster means Dorado Naco Club, that is former Naco Club and located beside the Playa Naco hotel.

This hotel have kitchen facilites in the timeshare part, and if you like to cook yourself it is possible.
Closest supermarkets in Puerto Plata is Jose Luis and Tropical, that you can reach by taxi, motoconcho or public bus.

If you want to relax completely, then you might go for the AI package and eat/drink as much as you want for a fixed price.

Outings/excursions as suggested Jeep Safari, Ocean World, Catamarans, pubcrawl...

Have a good holiday!!
thanks so much for your help.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
actor45 said:
what can you tell me about these clubs?

El Bohen and Crystals are houses of ill repute in Puerto Plata (PP), which overcharge unsuspecting tourists.. do not go there, esp with wife and kids (although they might get an education)..

If you want to go clubbing then you can go to the disco at Playa Dorado.. or if you want to go into PP then go to merengue tipico places (if you can dance and speak spanish)