Poor Dominicans vs. Rich Dominicans

ECH714

Mar 12, 2003
THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE WAS GLEANED FROM A LOCAL PAPER
and it is meant to ruffle some feathers!

FGCU students inspired by poverty-stricken in Dominican
Fourteen Florida Gulf Coast University students who spent their spring break in the Dominican Republic last month returned humbled by the hope of the people despite their poverty.

"The children just impressed me so much because they have so little but they want to give us ... give US ... give us everything they have, everything they don't have," said junior Jennifer Mitchell in a presentation the students gave at Whitaker Hall last week.

She said the Americans were treated like celebrities, and the kids would actually offer them candy and other little gifts.

The really sad part of this article is the fact that the majority of Tourists never get to see the REAL PEOPLE of the Dominican Republic! It is the poor and poverty stricken that are the most kind and considerate. They will share what that have. Not all mind you ....but most. And I have found the kids to be most polite; unlike the spoiled Rich kids who have no discipline and exhibit little in the way of good manners.
This is in contradistinction to the RICH Dominicans (and there are quite a few) who always present themselves as conceited, arrogant, insufferable, obnoxious, intolerable clods.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Don't paint everyone with the same brush...

ECH714 said:
THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE WAS GLEANED FROM A LOCAL PAPER
and it is meant to ruffle some feathers!

FGCU students inspired by poverty-stricken in Dominican
Fourteen Florida Gulf Coast University students who spent their spring break in the Dominican Republic last month returned humbled by the hope of the people despite their poverty.

"The children just impressed me so much because they have so little but they want to give us ... give US ... give us everything they have, everything they don't have," said junior Jennifer Mitchell in a presentation the students gave at Whitaker Hall last week.

She said the Americans were treated like celebrities, and the kids would actually offer them candy and other little gifts.

The really sad part of this article is the fact that the majority of Tourists never get to see the REAL PEOPLE of the Dominican Republic! It is the poor and poverty stricken that are the most kind and considerate. They will share what that have. Not all mind you ....but most. And I have found the kids to be most polite; unlike the spoiled Rich kids who have no discipline and exhibit little in the way of good manners.
This is in contradistinction to the RICH Dominicans (and there are quite a few) who always present themselves as conceited, arrogant, insufferable, obnoxious, intolerable clods.
I have seen many arrogant, obnoxious, intolerable poor Dominicans and from what I hear of the image Dominicanyorks have in the United States, it certainly does not comes from those who are "nice, polite, etc".

My point is this, all groups of people have all types of people! (sorry for the redundancy).

The problem is that the average person focuses on the obnoxious ones and totally disregard the one who actually has class, dignitiy, etc because this person tends to be conservative (ie. in the background) in contrast to those who boast their egos and have no consideration for anyone and/or the wrong image they give.

Don't paint everyone with the same brush.

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
It is sad but it does happen

i can speak from my own experience that difference in behavior between social classes in DR is amazing... In my case i was a medium class kid who happened to have a father with a nice job and could i afford to go to a decent school.. Most of my friends back them and today are well positioned kids for example i'm friends with one of Edmond Elias's nephews as well as the "Leche Rica" owner's son, Ray Viccini, jean Pellerano, Etc. It was always a problem for me to see how some would act and talk to people who they would consider inferior.. I actually got into many arguments with some of them because of the same situation not only because i thought it was wrong but because most of the time it was for something so stupid. But not all are like that, some of them especially those whose parents came from behind are consequent with other's situation and actually they would mingle with lower classes.

Shyla

Mar 14, 2005
Nal0whs said:
I have seen many arrogant, obnoxious, intolerable poor Dominicans and from what I hear of the image Dominicanyorks have in the United States, it certainly does not comes from those who are "nice, polite, etc".

My point is this, all groups of people have all types of people! (sorry for the redundancy).

The problem is that the average person focuses on the obnoxious ones and totally disregard the one who actually has class, dignitiy, etc because this person tends to be conservative (ie. in the background) in contrast to those who boast their egos and have no consideration for anyone and/or the wrong image they give.

Don't paint everyone with the same brush.
You are sooo right. I know alot of honorable latino men who seem to be "the background". It's only the pompous and seemingly wealthy here in the US who speak the loudest. I wish they could have just one day living in a third world country. Suffer the little children I cannot help
there because my Spanish is malo.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
this is so redundant....here's the deal....A$$holes come in all shapes and sizes and it has nothing to do with social class or ethnicity....we all know rich pricks and poor pricks.....these threads always turn into a "who knows who" and rediculous "name dropping"....

"I know...so and so".....big deal....

I don't mind being around anyone...I typically hate the clubs (full of plasticas) and would prefer to have a cold one at the colmado on some days...the top of the Dominican food chain has cool people as well as dicks that would screw you in a second (that's how some of them get there)...and the same goes for those at the low end of the society...there is no pattern

there are a$$holes everywhere....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scandall said:
this is so redundant....here's the deal....A$$holes come in all shapes and sizes and it has nothing to do with social class or ethnicity....we all know rich pricks and poor pricks.....these threads always turn into a "who knows who" and rediculous "name dropping"....

I don't mind being around anyone...I typically hate the clubs (full of plasticas) and would prefer to have a cold one at the colmado on some days...the top of the Dominican food chain has cool people as well as dicks that would screw you in a second (that's how some of them get there)...and the same goes for those at the low end of the society...there is no pattern

I agree with you 100%, although I might have said it differently, but not nearly as succinctly.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
nay mixer

rellosk said:
...although I might have said it differently, but not nearly as succinctly.
Scandall must have been short on coca cola. mmmmmmmmmbrugal.

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Kudos!

Scandall said:

Only thing I have to add is that they come in EVERY nationality also.