URGENT Wedding Certificate - no one helping

Bride

Apr 8, 2005
I really hope you can help me. I was married by a judge in Puerto Plata Dominican back in Feb 2005 at the SuperClubs Breezes resort. However, they still have not mailed me my wedding certificate. I have being calling and emailing for two months now and they just keep ignoring me. It is like they expect me to pretend I was never married. How can I get my wedding certificate. Do you have any idea what I can do or where I can turn??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Judge's name

Exact date, names of people involved? Where it took place?

I think if you gave that info to somebody, they should be able to get the certificate for you. Probably save you a few hundred in phone calls that are obviously getting you nowhere...

HB :D:D

ronv

Sep 8, 2004
wedding cert

Bride said:
I really hope you can help me. I was married by a judge in Puerto Plata Dominican back in Feb 2005 at the SuperClubs Breezes resort. However, they still have not mailed me my wedding certificate. I have being calling and emailing for two months now and they just keep ignoring me. It is like they expect me to pretend I was never married. How can I get my wedding certificate. Do you have any idea what I can do or where I can turn??

If the hotel arranged for the judge as they normally do i would contact the hotels wedding rep who would have been involved in your wedding and get them to chase the judge's office (they would have charged you for this service in the fee you paid)

RON

Just read your ? again have you been calling the hotel or the Judge

if it was the hotel and you booked and paid for your wedding through a charter company you should insist they sort your problem.

ron

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As Hillbilly sugests, give us something to work on. This is MOST unusual for you not to LEAVE the country with your wedding crtificate.

So, Date of wedding, YOUR name, address, room No. you stayed in (dates of stay), country of origin (in case necessary to get hold of Consulate or Consular agent here on north coast) & - if you have them - the name of tour company, hotel rep etc.

If you don't want to put that information on an open forum, then PM the person you think most able/willing to help. I am sure they will take it up on your behalf. I don't EXPECT it to be the judges office at fault but if you have his/her name (Breezes is normally a woman judge I believe), include that so his/her pffice can be chased to confirm who is at fault. My bet is on the hotel having mislaid the document & not being big enough to admit it!! ~ Grahame.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Suprisingly...

BushBaby said:
As Hillbilly sugests, give us something to work on. This is MOST unusual for you not to LEAVE the country with your wedding crtificate.

This is more common than you think! I work with a lawyer in Toronto who is one of the most particular people I have ever met and someone who would have considered every detail of her wedding. Her and her husband were married at a resort (not sure which one) in Punta Cana in October, 2004 and she is having the same problem. When she booked the wedding she was told they would have the original wedding certificate available for them by the end of the week of their stay at the resort and it has been a total headache ever since and she still has not received a copy and has been given the run around. For her it is not a big deal since her husband is also Canadian but I assume from this woman's post she needs the wedding certificate for immigration purposes? This is not the first time I have heard of people having problems getting the wedding certificate from their resort or wedding co-ordinator following the wedding.

To original poster... send me a PM and I can help you.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
For immigration you will need.....

Fiesta Mama said:
This is more common than you think! I work with a lawyer in Toronto who is one of the most particular people I have ever met and someone who would have considered every detail of her wedding. Her and her husband were married at a resort (not sure which one) in Punta Cana in October, 2004 and she is having the same problem. When she booked the wedding she was told they would have the original wedding certificate available for them by the end of the week of their stay at the resort and it has been a total headache ever since and she still has not received a copy and has been given the run around. For her it is not a big deal since her husband is also Canadian but I assume from this woman's post she needs the wedding certificate for immigration purposes? This is not the first time I have heard of people having problems getting the wedding certificate from their resort or wedding co-ordinator following the wedding.

To original poster... send me a PM and I can help you.

For immigration you will need the en extenza format. Usually, you woud get a certificate a few days after the wedding, but that one is not the one you will need for the USCIS. You would send the certificate to Sto Dgo and they will send you the correct one. It will take a while, and there should be an office locally in POP that would send it to the capitol. Most likely you will have to go there in person, and there is a small fee invloved. I don't think calling is gonna do it, remember this is the DR, not Canada or the US. PM me if you need help as I have already done this although I was married in Nagua.

-Tim

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I don't think she says where she or her husband are from. If you both live in another country, just get married again, and collect 2 anniverary presents each year. It just might be the easiest solution.

Nov 5, 2004
I also got married in Feb/05 in the DR.

We are having other complications (which I will write about in another thread in a bit) getting our marriage certificate, BUT....our wedding planner told us that once we have all the paperwork together on our end it takes about a month to get the marriage certificate....depending on how busy the judge is.

You also need to keep in mind the judge was probably Dominican....that said...expect to wait more then a month if your judge was/is busy....

Although, no matter that it is Dominican, if you are trying to contact the wedding planner at the hotel and they are not responding for so long...thats really bad. Before the wedding I couldnt get ahold of mine for 2 weeks and I was starting to get very upset..and then I found out their e-mail had been down for awhile, and I kept calling when she had "stepped out of her office."

I'm sorry your having trouble getting yours..I know how stressful this can all be...I'm in the middle of it right now. Keep your head up and keep trying ;)
Bueno suerte....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
GLAD i didn't have any of these problems. We got married in Jarabacoa by a judge who happened to be a friend of Yris's. I gave her my passport and other documentation on Saturday night. We had the paperwork back to us Tuesday. We then took the wedding certificate to THE CAPITAL where we had it stamped at 2 different goverment offices plus a signature, then off to the Canadian Embassy where we had to get a signature and now we had the certificate ready for the immigration process. If you didn't do this yourself, I can only imagine how long it would take. Good luck with your certificate.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Bride,
You mentioned that this was URGENT over two days ago & you have had offers to help (plus qdvice & questions requesting more info) from several people on this board. Do I take it from our lack of response that:

1) You have now GOT your Wedding Certificate?
2) You are in touch with someone who IS helping you?
3) You have heard from Breezes & your fears are now allayed?

I sincerely hope that No's 1) is the case but, .... if NONE of the above apply, then perhaps the courtesy you have shown here is indicative of the courtesy shown to Breezes &/or the Judge & THIS might be the reason for the lack of response. The Dominican nature is to help those who remain friendly & courteous even in times of great emmotional stress!!

Let us try once more, .......... If you want our help to resolve things for you, please let us have details that we can check out with the Tour Company, Breezes &/or The Judge his/herself! ~ Grahame.

donofrio77

Jul 7, 2005
same problem only in punta cana breezes

Bride said:
my wife and I got married in punta cana in march of 04 and it took 7 months to receive our marriage certificates. we were told there were sent (they werent) then that there was a mixup....and finally that they did not know what was going on. i finally sent an email to an employee (v.p. of the breezes resorts: i think he oversees punta cana also) and he actually returned my email in less than a day and had our wedding certificate sent within one week. i hope he can help you if you still havent received you certificate.
Name: kees aerts (email:kees.aerts@superclubs.com)
P.S. we also received a complimentary stay at the resort for a week for our troubles......... if you have any questions let me know i would be glad to help

Nov 5, 2004
HAHAHAHAHHA! I just laugh cuz I don't want to cry. It took so much time and work to get the damn thing that we already paid for..I just got mine a few weeks ago..and I was married feb.14/05.

Although with us..the lady taking care of all that, left her job..and NO ONE told us. They "forgot" about us..till I harassed them endlessly...(which cost a LOT of long distance).

My husband went 3 times to pick up the docment, cuz she told us it was ready each time (and he had to make a bus trip of over 1 hour each way) and each time he arrived they said "oh sorry its not ready."

I had enough of that crap..so they sent it to me at their expense..only to find..surprise suprise....They wrote on the english translation that we got married June 9, 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Finally a week after I got the correct one. (At the hotels FedEx expense!!!)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
donofrio77 said:
my wife and I got married in punta cana in march of 04 and it took 7 months to receive our marriage certificates. we were told there were sent (they werent) then that there was a mixup....and finally that they did not know what was going on. i finally sent an email to an employee (v.p. of the breezes resorts: i think he oversees punta cana also) and he actually returned my email in less than a day and had our wedding certificate sent within one week. i hope he can help you if you still havent received you certificate.
Name: kees aerts (email:kees.aerts@superclubs.com)
P.S. we also received a complimentary stay at the resort for a week for our troubles......... if you have any questions let me know i would be glad to help
You've posted some great info, but unfortunately the OP, posted her question and disappeared. She never answered any of the follow-up questions from some of the people that were trying to help her.

Sisy

Jul 19, 2005
Help with Wedding Certificates and other documents from DR if you live in the US

I am an agent for El Mandao (www.elmandao.com). We have agents in New York and currently, I am the only agent in Miami, FL. Feel free to check out the website and if you have any questions, you can pm me and I will respond back to you.

Good luck!

Sisy ;)

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We were married by the JP in Sosua in 2003. We signed the "big book" and got our marriage certificate all stamped and sealed at the ceremony that same day. We didn't use a wedding planner. You should be able to pick up a copy of the original at the local city/town hall where the wedding was registered.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Nelly said:
We were married by the JP in Sosua in 2003. We signed the "big book" and got our marriage certificate all stamped and sealed at the ceremony that same day. We didn't use a wedding planner. You should be able to pick up a copy of the original at the local city/town hall where the wedding was registered.

You don't get a marriage certificate on your wedding day in the DR, you get a 'marriage receipt' in lieu of the official certificate which is issued by the Oficial?a Civil (an office under the Junta Central Electoral (JCE) and which has nothing to do with the 'local city/town hall'), once the wedding has been registered in the books of the JCE, and this usually takes up to several months, but with a little 'grease' you can inch it along, maybe even up to several days.