to the ones who have a dog in DR

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Hi everyone!

I read some old posts about the procedure to bring pets in DR, but I was wondering about how the hot temperature affects your dogs in summer.
I am coming on April 19th for 3 months and would like to bring my dog (bichon fris?) with me, but is the heat dangerous for their health?
How did your animals acclimated? Did some of you encountered problems with that? I am from Canada, so my dog is accostumed to the 4 seasons .

Thanks for your help,
Mel

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
purefolie said:
Hi everyone!

I read some old posts about the procedure to bring pets in DR, but I was wondering about how the hot temperature affects your dogs in summer.
I am coming on April 19th for 3 months and would like to bring my dog (bichon fris?) with me, but is the heat dangerous for their health?
How did your animals acclimated? Did some of you encountered problems with that? I am from Canada, so my dog is accostumed to the 4 seasons .

Thanks for your help,
Mel
mel..i lived in nyc all my life..had a dog..they adapt better than us to a change in weather...he's your "best friend"..you would make sure there's plenty of water and shade..the dog will pant alot..more than usual..because this ia a way for them to cool down..sweat. my concern is the contact with other dogs and cats..rabies..distemper etc. good luck to you

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Thank you for your answer. Of course I will give my dog the appropriate vaccination, be sure of that!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
purefolie said:
Hi everyone!

Thanks for your help,
Mel
We brought a Cavalier King Charles from uk over 12 years ago. He adapted just fine but he shed the 'outer coat' he had in uk, & just remained with the very soft fur underneath. So don't be unduly worried if you see a lot of moulting.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
Don't worry your dog will love it. Our 11 year old dalmation has been with us in Sosua for the past 3 months and she is doing fine. We are also from Canada and she doesn't seem to mind the heat. She loves her walks on the beach and playing in the surf.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If I recall,

a bichon frise is a little white ball of fluff. The dog's color and small body mass would be a plus for hot weather. The long hair a minus. You could always give it a trim if it seems uncomfortable. I'd guess you won't be entering any dog shows down there.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
sweetdbt said:
a bichon frise is a little white ball of fluff. The dog's color and small body mass would be a plus for hot weather. The long hair a minus. You could always give it a trim if it seems uncomfortable. I'd guess you won't be entering any dog shows down there.

You're right about the little white ball of fluff. My next door neighbor used to have one, and he would refer to it as a "vrengt polvott" in Norwegian, meaning an extra insulated winter mitten, with the inside out.

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
taking dogs to the U.S

purefolie said:
Hi everyone!

Thanks for your help,
Mel

Im returning to the U.S for the summer with "los perros"....my vet here is telling me what I supposedly need for entry to the U.S.....how can I find out what I EXACTLY need as to avoid any problems when arriving in the U.S.??

debs

Jun 10, 2002
I have a Bichon too and if your little guy is anything like mine, the separation from you for 3 months would be less bearable for him than the heat.

Also, since you are from Canada, he is probably already used to the heat in the summer and will get used to the DR heat quickly.

If you have him groomed with long hair make sure you take him to the groomer for a "puppy cut" before you leave.

Good luck!

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
my bichon

Thank you guys!
I feel less nervous about bringing my lovely bichon now. As I always trim her during summer, this is not gonna be a problem.

Mel