Do You Pay Child Support In D.r

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
Iwas wondering if when you move to d.r from the states and your child lives in the states does the goverment still gets you for child support ? even if your overseas :eek:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
davoucci19 said:
Iwas wondering if when you move to d.r from the states and your child lives in the states does the goverment still gets you for child support ? even if your overseas :eek:
I am not an expert, but common sense says you are still liable to pay. However, I don't believe they will chase you down in the DR. They'll probably catch you when re-entering the country, if the child's mother has issued a warrant.

BTW, I'm hoping you were asking theoretically. The DR doesn't need anymore deadbeat Dad's.

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
rellosk said:
I am not an expert, but common sense says you are still liable to pay. However, I don't believe they will chase you down in the DR. They'll probably catch you when re-entering the country, if the child's mother has issued a warrant.

BTW, I'm hoping you were asking theoretically. The DR doesn't need anymore deadbeat Dad's.
I was curious about it had a conversation with my best friend and she told me her baby's daddy is moving to D.R and she asked me about it and I didnt know the answer.....now of course common sense will tell me when they come back of course they will have an issue but my question is while they are there..if it also applies.... :squareeye

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:

Since they are now at 100% they can't have more unless the deadbeats go back to the same girls and impregnate them a second (third, fourth) time.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
They could....

I am in that situation myself. Let me start by saying that you should pay child support regardless of where in the globe you are.

Having said that.

1) If you have any accounts in the states and your ex is smart enough, she could have the state attorney freeze you accounts there.
2) They cannot touch your assets overseas, but she could have the child support increased if she finds out how much you have overseas. That only applies if you are rich and she can afford an international private eye.
3) Based on point 2. If you work here you could have some of your income invested locally or sent to the Cayman Islands (if you don't trust local banks) and petition the court to reduce your child support based on reduced income levels (whatever she sees going into your US bank accounts).

Whatever your situation you should still pay child support and not only that, but save for your children's college education.

The previous points might sound like a way to cheat your ex out of child support but is not in the case that she/he spend that moeny on other things but your kids, and then it is up to you to save for their future.

Well, I am proyecting my personal stituation here.

In any case, here is some information you might find useful.

Wag

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
Wag said:
I am in that situation myself. Let me start by saying that you should pay child support regardless of where in the globe you are.

THANKS the info wag...she says he is a good man and she is sure he would pay...he is closing all his accounts because he is moving permanently but the money she gets now it wont be on schedule like it is now....it would be based on when ever he has the money to send it to her....

are you paying by sending money or it is something that the goverment has you set on...just curious...I am trying to give her as much info as possible....she is not worried just curious.....I know the cost of living in d.r is cheaper and of course he is not going to make the same he was when he was in the states...

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
davoucci19 said:
Wag said:

THANKS the info wag...she says he is a good man and she is sure he would pay...he is closing all his accounts because he is moving permanently but the money she gets now it wont be on schedule like it is now....it would be based on when ever he has the money to send it to her....

are you paying by sending money or it is something that the goverment has you set on...just curious...I am trying to give her as much info as possible....she is not worried just curious.....I know the cost of living in d.r is cheaper and of course he is not going to make the same he was when he was in the states...

If this was a divorce there should be a case number and a set amount that should be paid to (depending on your state) a state agency. This agency in turn will re-direct the payment to recipient. This way there is record of what is being payed. If he is sending money directly to her, the state attorney can still go after him and he would have to prove he was making the payments.

What I am doing right now is; I have a set amount wired to my checking account in the US, and I use internet banking to transfer those funds to the state (with my case number);they will give her the money and will stay in record that I am paying child support for the amount established. Alimony I am paying to her directly (issuing an internet check and having mailed to her)

There is no reason to close all accounts in the states, that could be a sign that he is not going to pay.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
In some states, if the father relocates to another state and his salary is less than before, he can petition for a reduction. But if he quits his high-paying salary in NY, just so he can pack bags in Wisconsin, the court will most likely reject it. Also, if the father voluntarily stops paying, there's a word called "RETROACTIVE" that will haunt him.

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
thats true

Ricardo900 said:
In some states, if the father relocates to another state and his salary is less than before, he can petition for a reduction. But if he quits his high-paying salary in NY, just so he can pack bags in Wisconsin, the court will most likely reject it. Also, if the father voluntarily stops paying, there's a word called "RETROACTIVE" that will haunt him.

I dont think he is moving back but he you never know....according to her he told her it is permanent.....

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
True!

Wag said:
If this was a divorce there should be a case number and a set amount that should be paid to (depending on your state) a state agency. This agency in turn will re-direct the payment to recipient. This way there is record of what is being payed. If he is sending money directly to her, the state attorney can still go after him and he would have to prove he was making the payments.

What I am doing right now is; I have a set amount wired to my checking account in the US, and I use internet banking to transfer those funds to the state (with my case number);they will give her the money and will stay in record that I am paying child support for the amount established. Alimony I am paying to her directly (issuing an internet check and having mailed to her)

There is no reason to close all accounts in the states, that could be a sign that he is not going to pay.

he has a set amount that is withdrawn from his pay check...and he said he is goign to set up an amount with her that he can afford to send. but I told her that if he decides to stop paying then that is it all she can do is complain...but the state wont be able to do anything until he gets back

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Yes they can!

davoucci19 said:
he has a set amount that is withdrawn from his pay check...and he said he is goign to set up an amount with her that he can afford to send. but I told her that if he decides to stop paying then that is it all she can do is complain...but the state wont be able to do anything until he gets back
If he becomes seriously delinquent and the Judge feels that he's trying to duck the payments, the judge will issue a warrant for his arrest and the local Dominican authorities can arrest him. That is how badly the U.S. want to extradite him. Never know :bandit:

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
Wow

Ricardo900 said:
If he becomes seriously delinquent and the Judge feels that he's trying to duck the payments, the judge will issue a warrant for his arrest and the local Dominican authorities can arrest him. That is how badly the U.S. want to extradite him. Never know :bandit:
yeah he can run but he cant hide :beard:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All she has to do is

1) locate him
2) have a local lawyer set up a complaint at the local court
3) file the US divorce papers stipulating the amount to be paid and the dates it is due.
4) BINGO, his a$$ is in deep schitt. He will be hauled into court and he will have to cough up the money.
5) He can request a reduction of payments

HB :D:D Seen all of this, so tell her to get prepared.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
DR child support

Before I plant any seeds in the DR ;)
What is the situation of an american with a dominican born baby in the DR????
Official Court Ordered Child Support or a simple "shake of the hands"??

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
who knows!!!

Ricardo900 said:
Before I plant any seeds in the DR ;)
What is the situation of an american with a dominican born baby in the DR????
Official Court Ordered Child Support or a simple "shake of the hands"??

hahahahah that would be a shake of hands........well my best friend is black and he is dominican...and she has never been to d.r.....so he can maybe ge t away scot free...who knows :devious: