working on animation

gasolina

Apr 10, 2005
i was wondering if any one who is not of dominican origin had the experience of working on animacion at a resort in the dominican (preferably punta cana).

how did you go by getting the position?
what are the working circumstances?
how long did you have to do it for?
did you enjoy yourself?

any comments would be appreciated, just looking for a general feel to see if it is an option i would like to consider.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Hello

Are you female or male? there is a difference the way you will be treated.
I never worked animation but I was working for a large hotel in Punta Cana wich I met I few people working at the animation field.

To start you will have a horrible schedule all splited.

** 2 hour in the morning by the beach doing the: aerobics, life guard, playing around with the custumer.

** 2 or 3 hour working later after lunch time practicing for the show etc.

** a few hours working dacing in the show and then go to the disco with the clients.

There are many things that you will see that I will make not comments about
for good or for bad.

PS: I rather to be bell boy, Bartender or other area.

Good luck

gasolina said:
i was wondering if any one who is not of dominican origin had the experience of working on animacion at a resort in the dominican (preferably punta cana).

how did you go by getting the position?
what are the working circumstances?
how long did you have to do it for?
did you enjoy yourself?

any comments would be appreciated, just looking for a general feel to see if it is an option i would like to consider.

gasolina

Apr 10, 2005
female.

the hotel i just stayed at had their dominican animation crew, and then a french animation crew which were just contracted. the french seemed to have it a lot better than the dominican's.

gasolina

Apr 10, 2005
perhaps more specific questions would allow you guys to help me out better -
in the punta cana area, how much does animation make?
do they hire those who are not dominican in origin?
if you were to work there, what is the minimum requirement that you stay?
how old do you have to be?
how do you apply?

my incentive to do this would be to meet people from all around the world and i guess learn a different culture more. clearly, compared to a salary in the states the animation would not make a lot, but money isn't really my incentive. however, i can see how i could actually lose money through plane tickets and accomodations there.. so i'm just curious. (would they pay for the trip there and back?

.. anything you guys know would be great

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In general most hotels hire only locals. There are for sure some exeptions.
I am not too familiar with Punta Cana, as I live on the North coast, here it is very, very rare that foreigners are hired, other than maybe for a guest visit.

More or less the reality:

You will for sure not get an employment before being here.

You need to prove that you are better and have more qualities than any other to get a job ( as anywhere ). These kind of jobs are never announced anywhere, the culture here function in different ways, by knocking on doors, by knowing people etc etc.

Salaries are around 5-6000 pesos per month.

The trip or any other benefits would be 0. No hotel would pay for someones trip for these kind of works. Basically there are more applications than available work at the hotels. Only Playa Dorada here on the North coast gets around 40.000 applications yearly. Meaning applications that people actually come and get, fill out, provide photos etc ( not counting in email requests ).

You would also need to speak a few languages, incl. Spanish, know the culture and most of the hotels would require you to have a work permit, i.e not to work on a tourist visa.

Taking into consideration the costs of living on the island, the salary and that your chances are very, very small to get a job at a hotel ( in any position ), it is a hard plan to go through with.

onmywaytoRD

Apr 15, 2005
Club Med

Club Med would be a good bet for you judging from your questions. You will not be able to choose where you go though.

Good luck!