Moving To Dr Need Some Help

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
hello everyone I AM a new member to dr1 and I love it the information I have learned from here about d.r makes me feel like a foreigner....I have lived in santo domingo before when I was in high school and my family is from there... I currently live in atlanta,ga...with my husband which happens to be american and he and I have decided to move to d.r to live....I will be going at the end of this month around apr 23 or 27 not sure yet so he can check d.r out and we can start making some plans...I have a home to stay in but I dont have a job over there....my husband is interested in purchasing a business to maybe sell some chicken and beer...lol.....or just find a job that he likes as a scuba diver or fishing....I AM still teaching him spanish so he can be ready when it is time to move....we are both tired of the hustle and bustle of everyday life in the states and we are ready to go were we can enjoy life...and have fun...not fall into that routine to pay bills , and taxes and get nothing iin return...this is something we are going to do in a couple of months..............................

I was born in new york but raised in d.r as far as schooling goes.....I dont know much about jobs over there since I didnt have to work when I was in high school, also I would love to meet people that has left the states to go live over there,......please tell me your experiences and if it was worth moving form the states to live over in d.r....also if any body has any info about jobs it will be greatly appreciated.....I have worked in customer service for years....I have been a secretary...and also a supervisor in the airline industry...and I HAVE ALSO worked in a clinic...so I am flexible with work wise........thanx guys any input will be appreciated!!!!!!

domicana ausente!!!! :nervous:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You sound like a possible candidate for a job in one of the many call centers. Check them out. Some located in free zones.

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
where?

Dolores said:
You sound like a possible candidate for a job in one of the many call centers. Check them out. Some located in free zones.

gracias dolores for the response...I am actually working for bellsouth right now in georgia in the internet call center...I take spanish calls all day..which means my grammar is not that bad ;) but I dont even know where to begin to search...??? ayudame please :nervous:

davoucci19

Apr 9, 2005
Hello Guys

HEY PEOPLE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INPUT i KNOW DOLORES IS NOT THE ONLY ONE HERE THAT HAS INFO REGARDING ME SITUATION....POR FAVOR...PLEASE :nervous:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I think you maybe aren't gtting a large response because people aren't sure what to tell you.
If you do a search on here, you will see lots of replies to similar questions. Most will say that the Dominican job market is not very good. Don't expect to make much money when you are working down there. Companies put call centers there because labor is cheap. So it will be very hard for you to make beter that a below average living. If you aren't sure what kind of lifestyle that will provide, let me be the first to say that it isn't very good.
As for your husband that doesn't speak any Spanish. I think his prospects are worse. His best bet would probably be to tap the tourist industry somehow. Of course that takes venture capital and a very strong working knowledge of how to deal with all the government crooks that are in his pockets all the time.
I hate to soun so discouraging. I have looked at the situation myself and find it too risky for my family. Many other people have tried it. Some have succeeded and others (many more) have failed.
It is easy to want to escape the rat race for an island paradise. But the nuts and bolts of the move are not any fun.
I haven't been much help other that to discourage you. Search this website. Others may do better than myself here.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
davoucci19 said:
gracias dolores for the response...I am actually working for bellsouth right now in georgia in the internet call center...I take spanish calls all day..which means my grammar is not that bad ;) but I dont even know where to begin to search...??? ayudame please :nervous:

See list of free zones here.

Contact the people at Adozona. They can probably provide you with a list of call centers.

http://www.adozona.org/esp/default.asp