Letter of good conduct

Basek

Apr 11, 2005
As a U.S citizen that would like to begin a business in the Dominican Republic. I'm told I need to obtain a letter of "Good Conduct". Does anybody know how to go about obtaining one?

I tried calling the "American Citizens Services" and "American Commercial Services" offices here in the Dominican Republic, but neither were able to offer much insight or help.

At the very least, does anybody know who would issue this letter? State Government, Local Government or Federal Government?

Thanks in advance!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The police. Go to the Central Police station on Avenida Mexico with your passport. I think that's all you need. You fill in a form, pay a small amount, and they provide you with the certificate (valid for 30 days) within a day or so.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Most letters of good conduct reflect that a search was made of the police records in your locality and that nothing was found of a deliterious matter against you. They can say how long you have lived in the area, based on your statement (passport, ID, whatever) or based on records they have.
Good luck to you.
mkohn

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Go to your local Police station and give them your passport. Tell them what you need, pay a small fee and come back the next day to pick it up. I did that for my residency. They knew what to do.

Escott

Basek

Apr 11, 2005
Thanks for the advice!
However, does this still apply to me even if I'm not a Dominican Resident? I'm technically in the country as a tourist (having purchased the tourist card) when I came a week or so ago.

I would've thought that the letter of good conduct needed to come from a U.S government institution, but if I'm mistaken, all the better as it's a much lesser hassle to get it here locally, than having to make an unscheduled trip back to the U.S.

Thanks Again!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Who is asking you for this? If it's a Dominican entity the police 'buena conducta' is almost certainly what they need.

In theory they check this against police records, maybe even Interpol, but who knows what they actually do knowing the skills and technology limitations. More likely it's another income generation mechanism, and an excuse to employ several dozen more 'botellas' and provide income for the many 'buscones'.

When a 'tourist' applies for Dominican residency, this is one of the requirements, so that's how I know.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Basek----

If you're going to start a business in the DR you should get your residency.
First you must get a 'temporary residency' and for that you will need the 'police report'. There are other documents you will need and it is best if you hire a reputable lawyer (abogado) to do all the leg/paper work for you.
Go to the "Legal Forum" and look for a posting by Sr. Guzman, PM him and get whatever information you want from him. he will get your residency for a fee and it'll be worth every penny you spend with him.

Good Luck.

Texas Bill

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
In theory they check this against police records, maybe even Interpol, but who knows what they actually do knowing the skills and technology limitations. More likely it's another income generation mechanism, and an excuse to employ several dozen more 'botellas' and provide income for the many 'buscones'.
Apparently they do check, proven by the fact that a mutual acquaintance, that shall remain anonymous, had the misfortune of sharing the nationality and similar name of somebody else wanted by the Interpol and was called in until matters were cleared. :nervous: